Scalper group says it has ‘no regrets’ over reselling 3,500 Playstation 5 consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krenum

Fully [H]
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-no-regrets-over-reselling-3500-ps5-consoles/

“Lots of our community have been furloughed, made redundant, or at some form of disadvantage due the pandemic,” it said.
“These people have managed to cover their bills, put food on the table and supply Christmas presents to their children.
“It may be unfortunate that a child wont wake up to a PS5 this Christmas, but another child may have woken up to nothing. We have no regrets.⁠”

A Christmas Miracle for some, coal for others. At least they found a way to stop hunger.

> It's really no risk for them. Pile a bunch of them on a CC - worst case you either return or sell them for break-even before the interest hits.

Yeah it must be pretty rough for them to be in a position where they can leverage the money for multiple consoles. I feel so bad for them, it really would be tragic if they hadn’t been able to scalp these.

Edit: crap quoting system.

Everyone is crying poor-mouth now trying to excuse their actions. It's all bullshit. I put a guitar up for sale, and the amount of people I had messaging me crying about how I should lower the price because they're having a hard time due to the pandemic pissed me the fuck off.

If you're really having a hard time because of the pandemic, you shouldn't even be in the market for a guitar you fucking asshole.

If you had an opportunity to flip a product (that you're not going to use for personal use)in a heartbeat for double or triple profit, you would do it too.

Shaddup.

Some people do have standards and are not living their lives with a goal of making as much money as possible. So no, you shut up.

Anyway, this is just slimy. 3500 consoles!? WTF!? This no longer capitalism and supply & demand issue, the scalpers are creating an artificial scarcity.

Some people do have standards and are not living their lives with a goal of making as much money as possible. So no, you shut up.

Anyway, this is just slimy. 3500 consoles!? WTF!? This no longer capitalism and supply & demand issue, the scalpers are creating an artificial scarcity.
Like intelligence, artificial scarcity is better than no scarcity at all... oh wait...

Seriously, if you had the opportunity to double your money for little to no effort, you wouldn't do it?

Or are you saying you just wouldn't do it if it involved buying and reselling a game console?

I mean there's "standards" and then there's proclaiming your moral superiority by saying you have standards and taking the example to an extreme point by claiming that everyone doing it is entirely driven by greed.

Sometimes it's nice to just have an extra few hundred bucks. Why not accept that there's a middle ground where some people might actually need the money. And some people just want an extra few hundred bucks, because... it can't hurt.

It's really no risk for them. Pile a bunch of them on a CC - worst case you either return or sell them for break-even before the interest hits.
Food can be put on said credit card as well. Greed fuels scalpers, not survival.
Most people have less than $1000 in savings, so if they have access to more than that, they are way above the median for complaining about food on the table.

Not really 3500 out of how many units? If that is a significant number of their launch consoles Sony has a much larger problem on its hands.

Food can be put on said credit card as well. Greed fuels scalpers, not survival.
Most people have less than $1000 in savings, so if they have access to more than that, they are way above the median for complaining about food on the table.

Might want to read the article. This isn't an individual putting in millions buying thousands of consoles themselves. Each person probably put in a few thousand at best. Most probably 1 thousand on average. Which isn't that much. For a quick $800 or so in profit it makes sense from their standpoint.

This isn't anything new and will go away in a few weeks. I remember it took me a few weeks if not a month to finally find an affordable RTX 2070 in stock at MSRP.

Might want to read the article. This isn't an individual putting in millions buying thousands of consoles themselves. Each person probably put in a few thousand at best. Most probably 1 thousand on average. Which isn't that much. For a quick $800 or so in profit it makes sense from their standpoint.

This isn't anything new and will go away in a few weeks. I remember it took me a few weeks if not a month to finally find an affordable RTX 2070 in stock at MSRP.
I'm fine with people making money, but it doesn't come from a place of survival, that's all I'm saying.
If you have $1000 to gamble, you have more money coming in again. Food on the table people don't know where they will get the money in the first place.

Seriously, if you had the opportunity to double your money for little to no effort, you wouldn't do it?

Or are you saying you just wouldn't do it if it involved buying and reselling a game console?

I mean there's "standards" and then there's proclaiming your moral superiority by saying you have standards and taking the example to an extreme point by claiming that everyone doing it is entirely driven by greed.

Sometimes it's nice to just have an extra few hundred bucks. Why not accept that there's a middle ground where some people might actually need the money. And some people just want an extra few hundred bucks, because... it can't hurt.

You have no idea how stubborn I can be and how stupid things I have done out of principle and anger fueled self-righteousness that I may or may not have regret afterwards... Anway, selling things for profit is one thing, taking advantage of peoples needs just in a time when christmas and such are coming up is another.

I think all of this could have been solved if they released these consoles, and graphics cards at brick and mortar stores only, until demand was met or their was a glut of product, i.e. Walmart, Best Buy, ect. and limited 1 per customer.

You know, like the old days? Where you could go to a store and purchase things like this.

They would have still sold out, but at least people would have been able to purchase them.

Ya they are lying, which is unsurprising.

Also for people who act like "Well why is it bad?" the reason it is bad is that they are leeches who are putting all of the risk on to other parties. They aren't putting their money down, figuring they can make a profit, but willing to take the loss if not. They buy from retailers fully intending to abuse return policies if the product doesn't sell, which of course costs the retailer by now having a product they must sell less as open box (and the shipping costs). They are also almost certainly ordering on credit cards, and would stiff the bank if push came to shove and they couldn't return it and get their money back. Many are even putting risk on buyers with the "I don't actually have the card but will cancel your order if I can't get one" kind of sales on eBay.

So while I fully acknowledge what they are doing isn't illegal, that doesn't mean it isn't scummy and it is made more scummy when they try and play the "Oh this is for our survival!" crap. You saw the same shit with people when the pandemic started and they tried to make themselves out to be the good guys, just helping people get what the needed. I'm not going to call for them to be crucified or anything, but I'm not going to give them any respect either.

they must sell less as open box
Flippers don't open the products. They try to resell as brand new. The rest of your post's assertions are equally invalid. By the way, you might want to edit your post... calling them "scalpers" is a racist word toward indians.

3500 for a one group. There are others too. Is this just the tip of the iceberg and how many others are in the hands of the scalpers right now?

Who knows, but I assume there are a number of groups like this. But I assume most people are just those who bought 2-3 intending to use the profits to pay for the one they bought themselves, plus some games/accessories.

If you had an opportunity to flip a product (that you're not going to use for personal use)in a heartbeat for double or triple profit, you would do it too.

Shaddup.
I have better things to do with my time than flip crap on the internet. When I sell stuff, I sell it to friends or even people on this forum for a deep discount because I’m not a junky scrounging up cash for my next fix. Not everyone lacks a moral compass as you suggest.

If you can afford to buy a dozen PS5's to scalp then you could already put food on the table.

ikr. You at least had some decent credit. Could have maxed out those cards to buy food and declared bankruptcy afterward.... if you were really worried about feeding your family. Crocodile tears irk me more than admitting you are just capitalizing on a situation, which really isn't my concern. This is America still (I think)...

And yet I have no regret not buying tech at asinine prices.
Once people stop paying these scalpers, they'll most likely stop ripping people off.
And just about all my things I buy is at legit retail outlets and I refuse to pay inflated prices.

Last edited:
Everyone is so hell bent on CONSUMING that they’ll pay outrageous prices for this. If this cycle of low stock, high demand and increasing scalping continues I’ll just go find another hobby.

no one needs a PlayStation, though. If someone is willing to pay that much more for it, I’d say it’s on the buyer.

This is true but also wrong.

For the last year, people have been bombarded with info and ads for the new consoles. For many, this is their primary entertainment. Maybe their kids have been hoping to get one all year. Finally orders open up and BAM, an army of bots swoop in using methods that a normal person has no access to or knowledge of and buy all the consoles. What they didn’t buy they made difficult to get by crashing websites. There was no capitalism because there was no equal playing field.

Do you need a PS5? No. But you don’t need a TV, a car, a smart phone, or even a house to live. You don’t NEED a lot of things, but claiming this argument deflects from the fact some scumbags are trying to justify to themselves their moral failure.

And as for those who assume people would scalp If they could...don’t push you’re weak and low moral standards and failings on us. You have a problem. Many, if not most people have the chance to scalp at some point and don’t do it because it’s morally corrupt. Get help.

no one needs a PlayStation, though. If someone is willing to pay that much more for it, I’d say it’s on the buyer.

We are more complex than that, we do have more needs than just necessities like food and water to keep us sane. Yes, when scalping entertaiment you are not killing anyone, but you are still ruining some gamer people/families days a. If you cannot see (or care) then I am waisting my breath here.

I have better things to do with my time than flip crap on the internet. When I sell stuff, I sell it to friends or even people on this forum for a deep discount because I’m not a junky scrounging up cash for my next fix. Not everyone lacks a moral compass as you suggest.

So much this. Some stuff I have sold but hell I have even given computer stuff away for free for my younger relatives who happened to need something more than I. Got to support a next generation of growing gamers any way I can. And I swear I do not mean to bang my own drum here.

I don't have a problem with people buying something and selling at a realistic/reasonable profit. But inflating the price 3-4 fold is what angers me the most. It's fucking greed pure and simple. A shame that there are people out there that don't know any better or are stupid enough to pay those prices because they want their kid to have a PS5 for xmas.

Fucking mierda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back