Scale Yosemite's El Capitan With Google Maps

Looks fun, that said I am smart enough to know I don't have anywhere close to the level of skill set to do that. And hope people looking at these Google map images realize this is pretty much an advanced type of climb and not for everyone to do. Getting up to Half Dome is a pain in the ass now because of everyone losing their shit with heights and what not and fucking it up for the rest of us who just want to climb up.

Plus the fastest climb was ~5 hours? Yeah that seems like a lot of work :) I'll stick to the hiking trails, and in 5 hours you can see much much more.

those people must have strong fingers and arms. no way i could do that.

Never could get my climbing buddy to climb El capitan with me. One of the only major climbs I never did in Yosemite when I was active, so this is really cool for me at least.

Hiking up Half Dome was about my limit (Luckily outside of peak tourist season, nearly had Half Dome to ourselves).

But I did watch some on the wall of El Capitan. I don't have the youth, skill, or nerve for that.

The flat wall faces are insane, all you have to do is catch one rock funny pull a finger wrong and you are hundreds of feet up in the air with no safe way down. I love free climbing but the first time you get up a face and realize that even though there is no safe way to continue it is still faster to continue upward, you begin to understand that it is not sport of hobby just something you do to challenge yourself. Start with a rougher face before attempting something like Yosemite cliff faces, a lot of them are far more dangerous than that article lets on. Fun but really sane to do.

Back