SC2 Hotfix (10.7a beta) is out

Not only, since there is also CrossfireX performance update as well for >2X configurations.

Well I meant specific to SC2... because I get a pretty large visual bug when I use xfire. I reported it on the blizz forums and several other xfire users have the same bug. Wondering when that'll be fixed either from ATI or blizz.

EDIT: Just tried xfire with the latest profiles and 10.7a... the visual bug appears to be gone (maybe... I only played one game). However, I actually get negative scaling with xfire. Anyone else with the same experience?

Last edited:
just did a quick game vs the AI, frame rate is in the 40fps range with 4xMSAA, definitely playable.

however, I didnt notice a huge difference in image quality when playing the game. sure AA is there but I never really noticed the jaggies in the first place. Only time AA is nice is in the cutscenes.

im thinking maybe throw 2xAA at it would be fine.

SC2 plays so much better on my 4890's in crossfire. I got AA up to 16X and it's smoother than before with no AA. Game looks super sharp now.

How exactly does one enable AA for specific games in catalyst?

I'm curious as to how to do this as well. That is the one thing I miss about having an nVidia card... the nice game/app profile maker built in to the driver's control panel.

I'm curious as to how to do this as well. That is the one thing I miss about having an nVidia card... the nice game/app profile maker built in to the driver's control panel.

I too came from the Nvidia camp before moving to the 5870's. There is a great little app called "RadeonPro" (http://radeonpro.info/) It is really like Nhancer where you could setup working profiles for each game. I use this utility and it has really proven itself useful.

Def give it a try!!!!

Man, I can't even get this POS to install. Tried numerous times and everything but the driver will install.

I hate you ATI

Alright 10.7a is seriously messing with my performance now. My GPU usage won't go above 60% now. It'll dip as low as 25% even during big fights for no reason. I'm still getting like 30-70 fps even with such low gpu usage, but that's just retarded since I was using 10.5 before and the gpu would be at 90%+ and I'd get 50-120 fps easily.

@Intel_Hydralisk: Check this out:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3655828&postcount=972

I tried earlier build which gave me a great increase in Stalker CS, but crash in BFBC2 (I believe it was the opencl drivers, since I got the crash when I tried the hotfix afterwards). I'll try the new build which includes the hotfix now and avoid the opencl drivers for now (since I have nothing that uses them anyway). :)

PS: Starcraft 2 uses only two cores according to B3D.

AA only appears to work when you fun fullscreen. That's too bad. I prefer the Windowed-Fullscreen since I like to Alt-TAB a ton. Also any less than 4AA is pretty much useless since you can't really tell at all. 4X SSAA actually looks teriffic, but the framerates drop to the low 20s and there is also a lot of noticeable input lag and this makes the game unplayable at all. This is with my cpu and gpu at stock.

Running SC2 here at 2560x1600 max settings with 4X AA with tri-crossfire and i7 OC'd @ 4.2Ghz. FPS is 60-110. The AA looks great and finally a game that pushes all three of my GPU's to full useage. I get no visual anomolies, everything works great with 10.7a.

Def nice to have AA support in this, albeit only 2xMSAA it helps the cut scenes quite a bit. Though I have had a few artifacts and missing textures here and there it's well worth it over 10.5's so far.

Hello, when I try to run starcraft 2 with my single 5970 I have an annoying issue: the screen slightly flicker. This is especially noticeable when I look at an area of the map covered by the fog of war. I think that it's related to the internal crossfire because if I disable the crossfire turning off catalyst AI the problem disappears. Some of you with a crossfire configuration have the same issue?

Using tri-crossfire (4GB 5970+2GB 5870), no visual problems at all.

you have an idea of what may be the cause of my issue?

EDIT: you use vsync? (with vsync there is no flickering)

Last edited:
I do not use V-Sync, but I limit the FPS in game to 60 with the variables.txt edit of SC2.

Just downloaded and played SC2 with AA turn on, I got a big performance hit as my framerate drop by half @ 2560x1600 to about 30fps and this with a HD5970. Guess I could live without AA or is it just me who have this problem?

Just downloaded and played SC2 with AA turn on, I got a big performance hit as my framerate drop by half @ 2560x1600 to about 30fps and this with a HD5970. Guess I could live without AA or is it just me who have this problem?

AA causes huge performance drops for everyone. That includes Nvidia users. That's the reason AMD left out support on the WHQL drivers, but since a lot of users complained they released the hotfix.

AA is nice in SC2 :) Using 4x normal AA and get a solid 50-70fps even in heavy battles.

Anyone running SC2 on 6 monitors? Curious how it performs.

There will never be multimonitor support for SC2.

I too came from the Nvidia camp before moving to the 5870's. There is a great little app called "RadeonPro" (http://radeonpro.info/) It is really like Nhancer where you could setup working profiles for each game. I use this utility and it has really proven itself useful.

WHOA I didn't know anything like this existed. Can't wait to try it out :D

eyefinity is a nogo with sc2. no support yet

technically Eyefinity does work with PPP format but not anything else. That's because PPP is so close to a 16:9 aspect ratio. But it's still just a zoomed in POS perspective all in the name of competitive gaming. I hope they come out with a "non-competitive" version that enables multimonitor, else I just won't play their stinkin' rehash until you can get all 3 episodes for one low price.

How do I tweak the AA settings?

Through CCC. All options(wide tent, narrow tent, and edge detect) work too, but the performance drop is significant. If you want something to automatically apple specific settings for SC2, use RadeonPro, which is like nHancer for Nvidia cards.

Forgot to add that the AAA option also works. Really helps with this game when it comes to the scenery.

Last edited:
Through CCC. All options(wide tent, narrow tent, and edge detect) work too, but the performance drop is significant. If you want something to automatically apple specific settings for SC2, use RadeonPro, which is like nHancer for Nvidia cards.

Forgot to add that the AAA option also works. Really helps with this game when it comes to the scenery.

Is it just me or has Edge Detect been removed? I can't use it anymore.

What is AAA?

This could be a stupid question, but can I use a Nvidia geforce GTS250 card with a ATI 5970 card on a EVGA 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard?

Back