sbs 2011 essentials - hardware suggestions

bmmorgan06

n00b
I am going to set up a small business server with sbs 2011 essentials. there will be about 8 workstations connected to the server. The applications are not too resource intensive. It is for a financial services firm (accounting/tax).

I need a reliable server that will last. What would you suggest for hardware? Can you load it on a desktop setup w/ an i5 sandybridge config?

What hardware would you suggest?

Yes, you can. I'm running the Standard version on a Core2Duo 2.66 with 8GB's of RAM (lower than min specs on CPU and min on RAM). It runs fine with 4 workstations - more are coming soon.

The i5 will do great for it, just make sure you have at least 8 GB of RAM. Mine ran good with 4, but had to up it to 8 for the business needs.

thanks for the advice

I will probably do a build based off of the 2500k i5 proc then.

I am thinking about this Mobo: MSI P67A-GD65 I just want something reliable! (maybe i should go intel)

I'd suggest going with ECC ram on something being put in an actual work environment.

From the looks of it, If I go with a Dell or HP server. I will be spending 2,000-2,500 for these requirements:

8GB Ram

4 hard drives w/ raid capability on board.

possible redundant PSU

SBS 2011 essent.

Does that sound right? I guess you get what you pay for...

From the looks of it, If I go with a Dell or HP server. I will be spending 2,000-2,500 for these requirements:

8GB Ram

4 hard drives w/ raid capability on board.

possible redundant PSU

SBS 2011 essent.

Does that sound right? I guess you get what you pay for...

might be able to build one for around that price, BUT when a drive fails or a cpu or memory psu etc etc, you have to RMA it all your self, and that can take loads of time etc etc.. with dell / hp they send the parts over night OR within 4 hours ( depending on your support / warrantee package )

Where i work up here,, when a dell server fails or has issues, the parts are sent next day air by 9am OR within 4 hours of the issue happening, ( depending on support package )

As everyone on here states, the more ram the better, sbs loves ram.

I just bought a client a T110 with Xeon 3.1, 8GB, 2x500 in raid 1 with h200 and 3 year with the sbs2011 essentials was around 1200-1300 I think.

I just bought a client a T110 with Xeon 3.1, 8GB, 2x500 in raid 1 with h200 and 3 year with the sbs2011 essentials was around 1200-1300 I think.

I spec'd out a T110 II (the T110 isn't listed anymore). I spec'd it out with the above hardware & it is running 1500 without sbs. Maybe prices have jumped?

It's was a special when I selected the t110 model. Look a little more on the site maybe try selecting first server solution

you are correct. I can spec out a nice T110 II server with 8GB memory & 2 HDD for about 1100 bucks before sbs...not bad

Back