SBS 2003 Premium: Exchange multi domain?

tripex

Gawd
Hello my good friends,

I have a question about SBS 2003 Premium and the Exchange part of it.

Can i have the SBS be the mailserver of more than one domain ?

Example:

Domain: fap.local
Mailserver for: fappers.com
Mailserver for: dudettes.net
Mailserver for: charlysurf.org

If possible, how do i manage who receive mails from where?

I mean:

I want [email protected]l to receive mails from [email protected]

But i want [email protected]l to receive mails from [email protected] .

It's easy, I have a few clients SBS boxes doing this. Just make another recipient policy, one per domain. Depending on how many clients the box has..for smaller amounts of users, it's easy just to uncheck default recipient policy for the users mail properties..and set the domain you wish for them as their default. For larger clients....you can organize this through OUs.

Yup, just set the primary email address to the address you want them to use as their outgoing. It's under the email addresses tab in user properties.

Thanks everyone!

Once i actually do this (in 1 or 2 weeks), i will post some feedback.

If you use this as a recipient policy, just make note that it will apply to everyone. Sometimes the easier solution is to setup security groups and assign the permissions via those security groups. (with the lowest Default Policy having your general email which all your clients will have, and then setting those policies up so that you can change there primary SMTP address).

It's easy, I have a few clients SBS boxes doing this. Just make another recipient policy, one per domain. Depending on how many clients the box has..for smaller amounts of users, it's easy just to uncheck default recipient policy for the users mail properties..and set the domain you wish for them as their default. For larger clients....you can organize this through OUs.

Hello, first of thanks everyone that posted!

This is for a small group of users. 15 for now.

In your opinion what is better, to edit the default policy (as said on the microsoft page) or create other policies?

I'm just asking to understand better, either way will be the same amount of work (not much).

Also, what do you mean "uncheck default recipient policy for the users"
Do you mean "Remove"?

Yup, just set the primary email address to the address you want them to use as their outgoing. It's under the email addresses tab in user properties.

ok, but is there a way for the user to choose on the moment of sending?

like when using multiple pop accounts on Outlook.

Hello, first of thanks everyone that posted!

This is for a small group of users. 15 for now.

In your opinion what is better, to edit the default policy (as said on the microsoft page) or create other policies?

I'm just asking to understand better, either way will be the same amount of work (not much).

Also, what do you mean "uncheck default recipient policy for the users"
Do you mean "Remove"?

Just edit the default one..it's fine, easiest to manage. I just did it again this week for a client that is having 3x e-mail domains setup.

The primary default domain will be inherited by the users if you have them pull from the default. (it will be the one in bold). If you have a user wish to user one of the different e-mail domains, remove the check from the checkbox in their AD properties..highlight the domain you wish to have for them..and set that as primary.

Hi

There is no checkbox on the user AD properties (Email addresses tab). I think i may be looking at the wrong window here.

Also, i did use just the default policy and once i added the extra domains they appeared for everyone, which is good for me.

But then i deleted one of the extra domains from the default policy but it was not removed for everyone. I even tried "Apply now" .

Hi, i dont have this fully working yet and have some new questions...

In terms of DNS setup, is there any restriction?
I'm using EveryDNS.net for the setup of a/mx/cname records btw.

I understand the setup of the main domain (the address added thru the SBS wizard) will be straight forward because i have done this in the past and worked right away.

But what about the mx records for the extra domains ?
Should they have their mx record point to the address of the main domain like "mail.maindomain.com" or i can create a cname and use it ?

I tried setting everything up and then also added the extra domains to the Default Recipient Policy (as said above in this thread) and then sent an email from my Gmail and got this:

date Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 11:07 PM
subject Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550-"The recipient cannot be verified. Please check all recipients of this
550 message to verify they are valid." (state 14).

and then the body...

Could this be:

- Exchange's fault?
- ISA's fault? (this is a Premium box) - screenshot -> http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=isaserverfirewallpolicird1.png
- ISP's fault? (blocking the port?)

Setup the MX records for the additional domains the same way as you did the primary domain.

YeOldeStonecat, you rock!!!

I did as you said and all 3 domains are working. Both incoming and outgoing.

There seems to be some issue regarding which domain gets set as the default one - i went user by user and picked different domains for them. But after a few secs, they would revert to the main domain. Only way to solve this i found is disable "Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy" .

I would prefer to leave this option on, because i'm sure it will be needed later when i make other changes to the Default policy (like adding a new domain), right?

I also have other questions:
- Is there a way for the user to select which "address" he is going to use when sending a new message or replying to someone?
- Who is postmaster at the moment? Should i add this as an alias to my admin account? It seems it is already configured for the main domain but not for the secondary ones (according to www.checkdns.net ) .

YeOldeStonecat, you rock!!!

I did as you said and all 3 domains are working. Both incoming and outgoing.

There seems to be some issue regarding which domain gets set as the default one - i went user by user and picked different domains for them. But after a few secs, they would revert to the main domain. Only way to solve this i found is disable "Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy" .

I would prefer to leave this option on, because i'm sure it will be needed later when i make other changes to the Default policy (like adding a new domain), right?

I also have other questions:
- Is there a way for the user to select which "address" he is going to use when sending a new message or replying to someone?
- Who is postmaster at the moment? Should i add this as an alias to my admin account? It seems it is already configured for the main domain but not for the secondary ones (according to www.checkdns.net ) .

The postmaster one is easy. Just add the extra emails to a user. Ie if your second domain is domain2.com under the admin account(or whoever you want to get it) add [email protected] as a second email address.

As far as sending from 2 or more domains you have a few options. You could created more mailboxes and have a mailbox for each email. The other way to to give the user emails on both domains(under active directory you just add the extra email addresses). You then create another email account in the users outlook and setup the smtp as the exchange server(might need to login depending on the way exchange is setup). Setup the pop address as local host or something. Then under the send and receive options tell it not to auto receive on the second account not to download messages. This is done by clicking on the arrow on the send and receive button in outlook under send and receive settings under groups. It is a work around but I don't know another way of doing it. This will give you the option for account to send from like if you had 2 pop accounts. You just setup the second, third, etc accounts with the other email address' you defined in the ad.

Back