SBCore causes Windows 2003 to shut down

Its on the SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS how more clear do they need to be?

SBS has to be a domain controll and remain the ROOT of the domain, holding all 5 FSMO roles.

Monitoring would have picked this up, and all servers should be monitored in some way

That doesn't excuse that there was no warning. You can't just shutdown a server without warning. PERIOD. Event log is not a warning. Monitoring? Sigh.

"Well its in the event logs zomg!" I dont know about you guys but I dont proactively check event logs every day for issues. I check them after something goes wrong to find a root cause. (And once in a while during slow times). Yes, in an ideal world we would all have time to proactively check up on every server we can, but those of you who actually work for a living know better.

A simple message during install would have sufficed.
While I don't argue that MS does some funky things, you should be checking your logs every day. If not every day, then after every major change for a couple days and at least once a week go through all the logs on the DCs.

And holy thread resurrection! A 4 year old thread, and I was smart ass back then too. :p

That doesn't excuse that there was no warning. You can't just shutdown a server without warning. PERIOD. Event log is not a warning.

MS says you can shut down, with a warning in the event log, lol.

Your telling me you never look at the even log after a server install or major change?

Monitoring? Sigh.

You don't monitor your servers? wtf are you thinking?

btw, i had no clue this was a 4 year old thread, lol

Let's not forget that the admin should've known about SBS limitations.

Let's not forget that the admin should've known about SBS limitations.

QFTMFT (Quoted for the motha fuckin truth)

I'm a 20year old aspiring administrator. Before I deploy ANYTHING, I do my research. . . Someone putting a mission critical box in production without doing prior research shouldn't consider himself a professional anymore then I can consider myself professional tennis player.

ok, first of all thank you for the wonderful reading, (even if many years old). Sometimes this stuff cracks me up. In this case, enough to want to post a reply. I am a admin of WISP, (wireless ISP), and also own a retail computer store. My first PC was the size of a large family room and been in it every since. I also admin many companies in my city which requires much network and dealing with many r-tards. All that said, (and it was only to show I have seen it from all points of view), I got to tell you,,, you people kill me!
First, I started with code that hasn't been used/updated since the mid 70's. So you might say "I've seen some things grow.". I use unix and windows based OS's/servers, and software of every flavor. (Most not out of choice). And to sit here and read some of this really is amusing.

I noticed in one post someone stated something in the effect of, "it's suppost to make things easier, not harder, or problematic. To a degree, I agree. And I will take it one step farther since really I think the key point to all of this got lost somewhere. The END user should dictate what the product should be! Not the producer telling everyone what they should want! Or worse yet, say "this is the way it is and if you don't do it our way we will make it simply shut off". Case and point, you can set up SBS in an hour and set it up to host domains, FTP servers, run a Internet radio station, be a VPN server, and if the server is powerful enough, it can run a half a dozen Virual servers of other OS's to do other things as well. AND IT WILL WORK PERFECTLY IN ALL THESE THINGS (for 7 days). At which point, "microSh1T" will say, (if not directly then indirectly), "Sorry, you are not using what we made for you the way we want you too, and demand you too, so [off mode]"

Now, I read all the arguments here from the "pro - well read the instructions dumbass", to the "pro - well if you paid someone else large sums of money they would of taught you this and it wouldn't have been a problem." (Both are correct by the way!) And if you throw in the "buyer beware" concept, then I guess it would be equally fair to say that an admin by the name of "Bill" should of researched and understood/expected microsoft to ALSO make a product that would run his whole company without a problem for a week and then just shut off because on one of the registration pages he used his name "bill" and there is a special clause in the code that says "Even though this server does everything without any other requirements, it will only work for 7 days if your name happens to be "Bill" !

Now, I run into this non-sense all the time and despite what everyone "wants" to believe, a OS is a product, not a idol to be set on a mountain top. It is (as some have used in this thread), "a tool" which is designed to do things that need done. And with all tools, sometimes you can use one tool to do many jobs. To expect everyone to buy a special tool for every different job is just,,,, insane. Be careful not to become so educated, or knowledgeable to how things are "suppose to work" that you don't turn into someone who looses a common sense approach to practicality. Those are the same people who also used to call Einstein stupid cause he couldn't read and they could. And based everything on that fact without any others.

Now for those of you who don't agree with me on this so far then it comes down to this, if the product works fine doing everything you want it to do for 7 days, but then if you don't make it a "domain controller" in this case, then other than making all of you jump through hoops like little dogs,,, what purpose does it solve making it stop working? Microsoft STILL got their money for the OS, the end user is obviously getting what they need out of it, and the system CLEARLY works fine without it! So, again, other than doing what your are TOLD!!!,,,, what's the (PRODUCTIVE) purpose? really?

Just a thought.

Back