SBC Yahoo Wireless router

the@ntipop

Gawd
I'm moving into a house with some of my friends who currently have SBC Yahoo DSL. Aparently, the DSL modem is one of those all-in-one wireless router deals (don't have the model number handy). Now I have two computers and would like to get a wireless bridge to connect both of them as opposed to two wireless cards.

I was going to buy a WRT54G and get some hacked firmware to use it as a bridge to save myself a lot of cabling and hassle with a bridge -> hub -> computer connection. Does anyone think I'll have compatability issues doing this? If that may be the case, would I be safer to go with a pure bridge like this Netgear? I just have this nagging feeling that the cheap all-in-one router will not play nice with any non-conventional wireless setup. Thanks for the help.

Not that this is particularly helpful on face value, but I recommend ditching SBC.

They are the devil. No, I don't have proof, but I'm pretty sure they kick puppies and eat kittens.

Short of that, to actually answer your question: Depends on what the device is capable of. I don't know what sbc is shipping out, but I wouldn't hold my breath, were I you, that it can operate in bridge mode.

XOR != OR said:
Not that this is particularly helpful on face value, but I recommend ditching SBC.

They are the devil. No, I don't have proof, but I'm pretty sure they kick puppies and eat kittens.

Short of that, to actually answer your question: Depends on what the device is capable of. I don't know what sbc is shipping out, but I wouldn't hold my breath, were I you, that it can operate in bridge mode.

blah blah blah. sbc yahoo is a great provider..

if it's a 2wire router, I can help you put it in bridge mode if you want... but for what? (i worked tech support for it)

Try it first....the 2Wire units are...well....odd, perform "OK". They don't have the farthest range....by default I think the wireless power is only set to 6...you can crank that up, but still, wireless performance is..well, kinda just average.

Really strange web admin on them, and how they work.

Stang Man...I'd be obliged if you posted how to flip those to be just a bridge.... :D

I'll be coming from Comcast and I can say without a doubt that nobody is as evil as Comcast. If SBC kicks puppies, Comcast consumes their souls through ritual eating of the heart.

To clarify the question, I don't need the 2wire modem/router itself to act as a bridge but rather to work happily with one. The router hooks up to the phone line on the first floor while I am on the third where there is no phone line. Since I have 2 computers that need to be connected I have 3 options:
  1. buy one wireless adapter and bridge an ethernet connection through windows (want to avoid at all costs)
  2. buy two wireless adapters (doable but less elegant, requires double troubleshooting)
  3. use a wireless bridge, preferably one with multiple ethernet ports to receive the signal from the 2wire and convert it to ethernet

My room will be directly above the router, 2 floors up so signal will most likely be fine. I suppose I can afford to try out the WRT54G acting as a bridge with the worst case being that I have my own wireless router when I move out.

the@ntipop said:
I'll be coming from Comcast and I can say without a doubt that nobody is as evil as Comcast. If SBC kicks puppies, Comcast consumes their souls through ritual eating of the heart.
This probably isn't the thread for it, but let me just say no one in their right mind in this area would touch SBC. Comcast on the other hand has given me no problems.

Must be a regional thing.

XOR != OR said:
This probably isn't the thread for it, but let me just say no one in their right mind in this area would touch SBC. Comcast on the other hand has given me no problems.

Must be a regional thing.

Must be a regional thing..In my area, I've setup several hundred SBC DSL accounts...works about as well as any other I've setup. And I deal with several DSL venders on a day to day basis. Granted their support can take a while to get to some breathing person...but the DSL itself, works just fine.

I've done the install on SBC DSL about a couple dozen times...and it is by no means simple. PPoE requires a username and password to work and if you throw a simple router into the equation it puts the setup out of reach for anybody without basic networking knowledge, hence more bad experiences with there tech support.

vs cable...plug in ethernet wire, reset computer, done.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Try it first....the 2Wire units are...well....odd, perform "OK". They don't have the farthest range....by default I think the wireless power is only set to 6...you can crank that up, but still, wireless performance is..well, kinda just average.

Really strange web admin on them, and how they work.

Stang Man...I'd be obliged if you posted how to flip those to be just a bridge.... :D

you'll want to reset the modem first via the reset button on the back, and then

you want to go in through the "MDC UI" (the other UI is a noobie thing), accessible via:

192.168.1.254/mdc here's a demo page ( http://shastademo.2wire.com/ )

Advanced > Configure Services
uncheck "Enable Routing"
click "Submit"

then if you want to furthur configure it, go under
Local Network > Configure

and wireless power is usually set to 10 by default.. if you have problems, set the power to 9, and change the channel to 9 or 11. under:
Local Network > Wireless

Back