SBC Yahoo Dsl with Linksys wrt54g

Yz388

Limp Gawd
I have to set up a linksys router for my sisters computer. I know nothing about them when it comes to dsl. It is sbc yahoo dsl, and i thought it would go easy, but dident.

I connected the router, reset everything, and the main computer downstairs can not get on (sisters computer is going to be wireless)

As soon as i plug in the linksys router, i try to connect to dsl, and this is what i get

Error Connecting to DSL Connection
Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPOE)..

Error 678. The remote computer did not respond.

Redial

Really what you want to do is go into the router configuration and set up PPPoE on the Connections tab. Put in the login and password that they are currently using to get online. Then check the router status page to see if it connected and got an IP successfully.

Then, set each computer to Automatically get an IP address. Then set up Wireless MAC Address Filtering, and WEP/WPA as per the directions in the user manual.

Doing this, the router makes and maintains the connection to the DSL service, as opposed to each computer doing so. Then each computer gets assigned an address from the router, as well as other relevant into it needs to surf the net.

Keep in mind you will have to put the SBC modem into "bridge" or Transparent mode which essentially turns it into nothing more then an convertor from your DSL RJ11 line to a ethernet out and your WRT54g authenticates to your ISPs servers. You can't authenticate on the modem and then on the router twice in a row.

Oh, this will GREATLY depend if SBC allows you to authenticate using PPPoE. If they don't, your SOL and will have to DMZ the SBC modem to your router which opens all ports and double NATing.

So, once i get into router settings and do what icewind says, i have to enable dmz for it to work?

How do i check if ican bridge or use transparent mode.. im not familar with either of those.

I can dmz everything, and am pretty familar with the whole linksys setup since i have the same router at my house but on cable.

Any more info/ details..im am going back tmorrow to try again.

Thanks

I've got SBC yahoo DSL and I'm using a WRT54G without any problems. All I had to do was setup PPPoE. Make sure your UID is set to [email protected] to login. I also have an older DSL modem that didn't have a built in router, so it might be a different setup if they give out modems with built in router functions now.

If you're DSL modem is actually a router, you'll have to telnet into it and turn teh routing off. Best bet is to either find a DIY guide on the intarweb, or to call the phone company up and they'll walk you through it.

Mr. Baz said:
If you're DSL modem is actually a router, you'll have to telnet into it and turn teh routing off. Best bet is to either find a DIY guide on the intarweb, or to call the phone company up and they'll walk you through it.

Nah, easiest way it just to DMZ it like im doing to my D-Link 4300 and Qwest DSL modem and it works just fine, and double NATing isn't that big of a deal.

IceWind said:
Nah, easiest way it just to DMZ it like im doing to my D-Link 4300 and Qwest DSL modem and it works just fine, and double NATing isn't that big of a deal.

double natting isn't a big deal? :rolleyes: Ok, whatever.

Just bridge the damn things together. It's the proper way to do it, and you still have full function of your router.

Back