SB850 vs P67 SATA for WHS?

I have a phenom II x4 and 890GX/SB850 combo or a Sandybridge i5-2300/P67 mobo combo I can use when I finalize my WHS build (using the 30-day trial atm).

The Sandy combo seems a little overkill just for WHS but from what I've been reading the Intel SATA controllers tend to outperform AMD's - is it worthwhile to stick with the Sandybridge combo for this function, or would I even notice a difference copying files around, running backups, streaming videos, etc?

I can only talk from experience with what I have. I have an i3 2200 with an Asus H67 board and will get sustained transfers from my WHS to/from my computers via cat5e at ~110MBps. The server has 2tb Samsung F4's in AHCI running through a Netgear WNDR 4000 router. Backups occur nightly with the computers I leave on and also up to Crashplan and they are incremental at this point so they are quick. Streaming to my computers or the PS3 is a joke even with HD content.

Hopefully that helps you with the Intel side of things on a similar chipset.

Just my 2cents,

I have had trouble with both, WHSv1 (atom D510) and Win7 (i3 2100T), streaming and unpacking at the same time, not always but i usually get lag and stutter on the streams. When there is no unpacking on issues even streaming 2 or 3 movies to different places with either setup. Im in the process of rebuilding my WHSv1, still thinking about between moving my 2100T or just getting a 2120 (maybe with the higher clocks it could handle better the unpacking + streaming).

thanks for the input, to be on the safe side i'll just stick with the i5-combo for now. i tried a couple of remote downloads and the cpu usage spikes pretty good just while the server is zipping up the files for transfer so i guess the excess power never hurts. it actually took a while prepping a 4gb DVD for transferring to a remote comp.

most files i would download through an IE interface doesn't compress much anyways since install files and media tend to be already pre-compressed. is there a setting to disable the "zipping" before transfers that i'm missing?

AMD's chipsets have never been and still aren't, any competition for the Intel chipsets.

You want speed go with Intel. :)

Back