SB X-FI - SB0460 - Win 7 x64 - 4GB issue

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I've always heard of the absolute horrible Creative driver support. Now I am experiencing it first hand.

I have a SB0460 PCI card that I'm trying to work with Windows 7 x64 with 8GB of ram on a Dell XPS 710. With more than 4GB of ram the sound is very glitchy then eventually drops out. If the system only has 4GB of ram, the sound is perfect. The Internet tells me this is a serious issue for people with this card and more than 4GB of ram. All of the drivers I have found in links will not work with more than 4GB of ram, including the latest drivers and beta drivers on Creative's site.

Has anyone got this card working with more than 4GB of ram with Windows 7 x64?

Last edited:
Try a different PCI slot and if that fails adjust your PCI latency in the bios.

I had that same card in a Gigabyte P35DSL (or something) and the PCI latency fixed it

Tried a different PCI slot and reinstalled. Still does not work correctly.

I cannot adjust PCI latency due to being a Dell BIOS.

I'm not sure if it's possible or not to overclock on that Dell, but, are you overclocking and if so, what happens at stock settings?

To be fair, the new Z series doesn't have issues like this one.

Try the daniel k drivers and cross your fingers. The old creative cards were buggy as all get out.

To be fair, the new Z series doesn't have issues like this one.

Try the daniel k drivers and cross your fingers. The old creative cards were buggy as all get out.

The issue is not drivers, but a hardware flaw in the X-Fi DSP.

The X-Fi DSP has a hardware-address flaw at the 4 GB address line - because of the location, x32 operating systems (or x64 operating systems installed on PCs with less than 4 GB) are not affected. To be fair, x64 operating systems were just becoming mainstream when the X-Fi went to retail - therefore, this flaw was not exactly obvious. (In fact, I myself didn't encounter it until I moved from 7 x64 to 8 x64 - and that was because I pushed my software HARDER under 8 than under 7.) Because it's a hardware flaw, the only option is replacing the hardware (in my case, a refurbished Recon3D Fatality has the position currently) - that flaw is also why the X-Fi was not passed down (my mom has more RAM than I do in her refurbished HP DC7600).

Just to be clear, the problem appeared when you added more memory to your system?

What BIOS are you running on the machine? I wonder if there are any extra options on the more up to date BIOS.

Interesting, I have 8GB running Win7 X64, never experienced this problem. I only mention for a small beacon of hope that you can get it running. I am also running creative drivers.

Interesting, I have 8GB running Win7 X64, never experienced this problem. I only mention for a small beacon of hope that you can get it running. I am also running creative drivers.

interesting indeed, i am running an almost identical configuration, but with the daniel_k drivers. no problems whatsoever.

my system has 64gb ram windpws 7 64 bit and has a pci express sound blaster x-fi titanium fatal1ty champion in it and it does not do that.

it works exactly like my old pci sound blaster xi-fi on windows xp 32bit on my old machine that is still being used with the same xi-fi in it. i bought the xi-fi card when the first came on pre order out and it is the same card drivers worked fine for years.

Last edited:
Tried it with 6Gb installed or a different set of ram?...Just saying.

Running a X-fi Fatality PCI with 8GB of ram and Windows 7 Pro 64bit just fine.

Last edited:
I'm curious about this issue. I run an X-Fi Titanium HD and have not had this issue with Win7 x64 or Win8 x64. No issues with my regular X-Fi Titanium in Win7 x64 before that either.

When I build a new gamer rig for one of my customers, there isn't usually too much from their old system that I bring over. The Soundcard is often one of those items. I've never had issues putting something like an old PCI X-Fi XtremeMusic in a new system running Win7 x64 or Win8 x64 nor have any of my customers contacted me with problems.

It seems weird for something to be described as an insurmountable hardware flaw, and see people shelving their X-Fi cards, etc yet not personally experience the issue in over a dozen cases. I'm not claiming anyone is wrong, but like I said, it does pique the curiosity.

so... do you guys saying your running X-Fi's have the same model exactly?

I don't know about this audio card but I know much to my great annoyance my old TV Tuner Card (Hauppauge PVR-150) has a known and unsolvable bug with x64 bit systems with 4+GB of ram. Sounds like this creative card in particular has a similar problem.

to the OP if it is a similar hardware bug... my free take it or leave it advice ditch that card and buy something else ..or live with less than 4GB of ram (3GB + Videocard) basically. I messed with that stupid tv card more than I like to remember and it was all for not...

It makes me almost (sorry for your troubles) feel better this sound card has the same issue cause it was really irritating having the only add on card i was aware of with some dumb weir x64 bit +4GB ram bug..

so... do you guys saying your running X-Fi's have the same model exactly?

I don't know about this audio card but I know much to my great annoyance my old TV Tuner Card (Hauppauge PVR-150) has a known and unsolvable bug with x64 bit systems with 4+GB of ram. Sounds like this creative card in particular has a similar problem.

to the OP if it is a similar hardware bug... my free take it or leave it advice ditch that card and buy something else ..or live with less than 4GB of ram (3GB + Videocard) basically. I messed with that stupid tv card more than I like to remember and it was all for not...

It makes me almost (sorry for your troubles) feel better this sound card has the same issue cause it was really irritating having the only add on card i was aware of with some dumb weir x64 bit +4GB ram bug..

The issue only applies to the original X-Fi DSP and the PCI (not PCI Express) versions of those cards with said DSP. The HD Titanium (in fact, all PCI Express Creative sound cards) use the SoundCore 3D DSP because it supports PCI Express (and USB for external solutions, such as the recently-launched Sound Blaster E).

The XtremeGamer had the bug; however, the Fata1ity Professional (which replaced it) does not.

The HD Titanium (in fact, all PCI Express Creative sound cards) use the SoundCore 3D DSP because it supports PCI Express (and USB for external solutions, such as the recently-launched Sound Blaster E).

X-Fi Titanium HD definitely doesn't use SoundCore 3D. The Recon3D series was the first to use it.

Back