Say Hello to the I7 980X (Gulftown)

For clarification I have no clue who those guys are or anything really about XtremeSystems.org. I was just browsing over there and thought I'd share. I was pretty shocked to see that thing in the wild.

Oh WTF, Dudes at 5220MHZ on this processor - on water.

I may spring on the EE version of this processor if 4.5-5ghz is a reliable OC estimate.

I might come up with something more witty when my jaw gets reattached.

Just 2 questions though? How does one get their hands on these ES chips? And why arn't the Intel police busting doors down for released pics/info/benchmarks?

the floodgates will be opening soon...not only the 980X but the new ASUS Rampage III Extreme should be out in early March as well :cool:

Oh WTF, Dudes at 5220MHZ on this processor - on water.

I may spring on the EE version of this processor if 4.5-5ghz is a reliable OC estimate.

I might come up with something more witty when my jaw gets reattached.

Just 2 questions though? How does one get their hands on these ES chips? And why arn't the Intel police busting doors down for released pics/info/benchmarks?

I'm sure they enjoy the publicity, because now everyone wants one just to see if they can achieve 5+ghz

Just got my 980X last night...updated my Rampage II Extreme BIOS....popped it in...and boom..6 core fun! This chip runs very very cool....At idle it was only 6 degrees above room temp....(with water) So far at 4.4Ghz...lots more tweaking and benching to come...

gulftown1.jpg

It is in this rig!

122511_13749_01.jpg
122511_13749_02.jpg

Last edited:
What's your room temp managerman? I'm thinking that these new chips don't have the right TJmax numbers in Real Temp... I mean... 22c idle on a core @ 4.4ghz is pretty much impossible if your room is ~20c.

What's your room temp managerman? I'm thinking that these new chips don't have the right TJmax numbers in Real Temp... I mean... 22c idle on a core @ 4.4ghz is pretty much impossible if your room is ~20c.

Room temp is 18C-19C...I do not know....about Real Temp..I am using the latest Beta 3.56...I will post my temps in the Xtremesystems forum where the developer has a thread...The last chip I had in the machine was a D0 920 it ran at 4.5Ghz 1.42V...Idle temps were mid 30's with 100% load at 70C...The bios reports similar temps as real temp in the Hardware monitor screen though...

-M

I've been using AMD for as long as I can remember.This may be to tempting to pass by.

The new 32nm temperature sensors that Intel are using are not very accurate at idle.

The i7-920 temperature sensors were excellent but Intel has taken a step back to the good old days where the sensors they use can have a lot of slope error. This means that at temperatures a long ways away from the calibration point, these sensors will start to read either too high or too low. The amount they are off is random and varies from one core to the next.

Your load temperatures will be somewhat accurate if you get these sensors up to about 70C where the amount of slope error tends to be minimal. Below 70C it's pointless trying to compare reported temperatures from these CPUs with the original 45nm Core i7-9xx series CPUs because the sensors are not good enough for that.

Intel only designs these sensors to trigger thermal throttling at about 100C and thermal shutdown at about 125C. I find the sensors, even though they are not accurate, tend to be consistent so if a core reads a few degrees low at idle one day it will read the same amount too low 6 months from now.

RealTemp GT reads these new CPUs OK. It doesn't get the name string correct yet since I was originally guessing that Intel was going to call them an i9 when the first ES processors were being tested but MHz and temperatures should be OK. It looks like TJMax for these is set to 101C if you haven't manually changed it. That data is being read directly from a register within each core. Intel actually calls this data TJ target and TJMax is supposed to be somewhere around this number but no one knows how close it really is. It can vary slightly from one CPU to the next and from one core to the next on the same CPU.

Last edited:
The new 32nm temperature sensors that Intel are using are not very accurate at idle.

The i7-920 temperature sensors were excellent but Intel has taken a step back to the good old days where the sensors they use can have a lot of slope error. This means that at temperatures a long ways away from the calibration point, these sensors will start to read either too high or too low. The amount they are off is random and varies from one core to the next.

Your load temperatures will be somewhat accurate if you get these sensors up to about 70C where the amount of slope error tends to be minimal. Below 70C it's pointless trying to compare reported temperatures from these CPUs with the original 45nm Core i7-9xx series CPUs because the sensors are not good enough for that.

Intel only designs these sensors to trigger thermal throttling at about 100C and thermal shutdown at about 125C. I find the sensors, even though they are not accurate, tend to be consistent so if a core reads a few degrees low at idle one day it will read the same amount too low 6 months from now.

UncleWebb,

Thank you for commenting!! Great explanation! Love your program...

-M

So a few quick questions. I was under the impression that the hex core gulftowns were going to be badged as i9's, not i7s. This i7 980X is still branded as an i7. When the public and non extreme edition versions of this product hit the market, will they be badged as i7s also? Will this one be rebadged as an i9 980X? Or is the EE hex core going to stay as an i7 and the 'consumer' version of the hex cores be i9s?

This confuses me as I'm actually contemplating this as a processor choice... especially if the low end hex core is priced in the 4-600 dollar range. Do you guys think they may refresh this EE processor to an i9 counterpart? Similar, but different, to the two i7 EE quads available.. the 965 and the 975 refresh?

Intel now has a Quad Core i7 and a Dual Core i7-620M mobile CPU and just to make things completely confusing they decided to call their new 6 core CPU a Core i7 as well. When a company finds a brand name they like, they tend to overuse it. At the moment, i9 isn't going to be used for anything.

The information written directly into the CPU shows up in the CPU-Z Specification box so this new CPU is definitely a new Core i7 with 6 cores and 12 threads.

man... it made look like my Q6600 an intel pentium 2 :( gotta get my tax done ASAP!

I have heard of a 6 core i7 970 coming later this year which will be a more affordable $562 vs. $999 this 980X is commanding. Although some have said that will be a quad-core, not hex-core.

How do you guys think this will compare to AMD's upcoming hex-core Thuban processors? I'm guessing the Thubans would offer a much better price-to-performance ratio? I am interested in the i7-970.

Wow...that seems like a lot of voltage in a 32nm chip. But 4.6Ghz looks really nice in the benchies.

Im still happy with my Q6600....but dam this thing paves the way for future upgrades.

Wow...that seems like a lot of voltage in a 32nm chip. But 4.6Ghz looks really nice in the benchies.

I think it is too...I am currently running at 4.5Ghz....at 1.42v...Still high but better...and stable! Going to do a few Vantage runs..that should be interesting..

-M

Is there any gaming benchmarks comparing the i9 980X to i7's at the same clock speed?

I think it is too...I am currently running at 4.5Ghz....at 1.42v...Still high but better...and stable! Going to do a few Vantage runs..that should be interesting..

-M

Good luck. Very interesting. I hope it doesn't end up in the 32nm graveyard I saw over at Xtremesystems...lol.

Back