Say Goodbye to These Windows 10 Features in the Fall Creators Update

File history is a fantastic feature, easily as good as Apples praised Time Machine. The fact MS are removing such an important utility wreaks of a company doing their best to force people onto the product that's now making them far more profit than their flagship product: And that's their cloud based solutions.

I've set clients up with File History to back up tens of terrabytes worth of important data and it's a solution that works perfectly, if MS thinks I'm gonna trust their data to OneDrive and believes people are going to actually pay for that shit, MS have another thing coming.

Let's rely on something that "might be removed in future updates"

There are plenty of those that still exist after 10-15 years. Some even longer.

But hey, lets rage in advance, right?

Yes, but it made me feel better. Some manager may actually see it, if not, I did try. I also provide feedback on their feedback hub, it's all I can do. If they choose not to listen, not much I can do. That is the world in general, it's funny how many people and businesses I have attempted to awaken from their slumber, only to find out they met the path they deserved. Such is life.

Man, all of them should have consulted you.

People who use OLED screens or any screen that can burn-in. This is really bad move from M$ if they remove it. Now, power settings already ability to turn off monitor after certain period but it is laggy. Screensaver turns off instantly the moment you touch your mouse.

I guess After Dark screensavers is making a comeback!

This is getting rediculous. Paint is gone? Would Ubuntu PLEASE get more AAA games so I can permenantly switch? I only keep 10 installed for gaming at this point.

Yeah, me too. I dual boot my systems (but using Mint, not Ubuntu) and only boot to windows for games. At this point, only about a third of my steam games are available under linux.

Guess I should start getting used to Snipping Tool now that paint is going away. Really only use it for taking screen shots.

Guess I should start getting used to Snipping Tool now that paint is going away. Really only use it for taking screen shots.
But you do use it. That's the point we are all trying to make.
Paint opens instantly, is light on resources and does exactly what we want it to, no other program does that.

But you do use it. That's the point we are all trying to make.
Paint opens instantly, is light on resources and does exactly what we want it to, no other program does that.

Have you tried IRFanView? I find that a lot better than Paint for pretty much anything I'd use it for.

Sorry you don't like me. I do speak my mind and if people don't listen to what I request, the world will fix it, I don't have to do a thing. If you are on MS side, I hate to tell you this, you aren't in the majority.

Wow...on top of being a dick, he's an idiot too....sorry MS kinda IS the majority....especially business wise and cloud wise. Go check the news....they just netted 7B in revenue in the last quarter....that's pretty major.

Let me see...
Paint - don't use it - there are better, free programs available.
Outlook express - REFUSE to use it. Much better, more secure, free programs available.
Screensavers - haven't used one in, like, forever. From what I see, screensavers aren't going away, just not part of the themes, so no loss if you really need one.
Backup - don't use it - there are better, free programs available. MUCH better, inexpensive programs available.
Powershell 2.0 - I'm guessing there's a newer version available? how long does MS have to keep old junk just to make crotchety old men happy?

You can purchase approved screensavers from the Microsoft Store, or better yet get a monthly screensaver subscription for only $8.95/month.
I hate you, for giving them ideas! :banghead:

Enjoy your future of doing whatever these people make you do. I warned you.

Used to work in the post office right after high school when I was 18. Would have people come up to my window and complain about recent Congressional legislation, or tax rates, and blame me for being part of it and that I should fix it. Seriously.

Had the same effect.

So 99% of the general population who are using Windows 10 then...

"Lol how dumb could you be.. Only people on [H] and the like know how to disable that stuff" ;) - which in turn is a VERY VERY small % of windows users.

Anyone who can make a search on Youtube can disable the telemetry. It's hardly something special.

i'm with everyone else on the paint thing. Is that really whats bloating up the OS and causing a big performance penalty?

Anyone who can make a search on Youtube can disable the telemetry. It's hardly something special.

yeah but some people don't even know what telemetry means they just buy computer and use it till something breaks and then call someone like me! ughhh

As a photographer...

I use paint a lot to quickly resize and crop images for clients.
I don't want to go through all of the file saving steps of Photoshop to complete a simple task.

What I think every time I see a comment like the one you quoted is that what would happen if the person had grown up with Linux and used nothing else and someone drops a copy of Windows in front of the person and then told to setup a system using Windows.

The only real reason people say Windows is "easy" and just about every other OS is "hard" is because they only know Windows. It's not because something else is necessarily difficult but more likely just because it's unfamiliar.
I've used Unix in school and at work for 25 years. None of them are as easy to use as Windows. *nix was always intended for technically oriented people. Windows is not. Same goes for OS X. If Linux was an OS for the masses that you and Bullet believe it is, it would be the OS for the masses. It's free and it's been around for over 20 years.

I have no issues with *nix for work, IF you're developing for Unix/Linux servers. We do, BUT, we also have a ton of tools that only work on Windows. So your choices are run Linux with Windows in a VM (works for some, but others have had driver issues), put Linux in a VM, develop on a development server or develop locally and then deploy to dev or test.

I'd tried *nix in a VM in the past, but found it painfully slow....it'd probably be fine now, but I'm good with doing it locally then deploying to dev.

Paint, not the 3D crap thing they're trying to push, is the quickest way to crop an image. And make stupid drawings. I use PS for other stuff, but I will miss Paint.

I'd tried *nix in a VM in the past, but found it painfully slow....it'd probably be fine now, but I'm good with doing it locally then deploying to dev.

It's far from slow anymore, my Linux machine is just as fast if not faster than my Windows machine. I've also deployed Linux in place of Windows on machines where users just can't stop with the virus/malware infections and they can use it just fine - If they can use it than the users of [H] should have absolutely no problem.

Windows popularity is based around aggressive marketing and forced installs. Linux doesn't have a marketing department.

Would games work universally on linux, or would each flavor require its own version of the game? One for Ubuntu. One for Mint, etc. O the same issue, but for drivers.
I also noticed these https://thishosting.rocks/best-linux-distros-for-gaming/

Games via Steam are developed for Debian based distro's (ie: Ubuntu), but run faultlessly for the most part on any distro.

As a photographer...

I use paint a lot to quickly resize and crop images for clients.
I don't want to go through all of the file saving steps of Photoshop to complete a simple task.
As someone mentioned earlier irfanview is just as fast and has the same features. That's not excusing Microsoft for doing the things that they do.

MS :

'WE CONTROL the Horizontal , WE CONTROL the Vertical ... DO NOT Attempt to adjust your Set (Up) '

Removing the feature from a loaded PC via the update is stepping over the line .. but then again so is locking out Win 7 from updates because your HW is too new

Kenny

It's far from slow anymore, my Linux machine is just as fast if not faster than my Windows machine. I've also deployed Linux in place of Windows on machines where users just can't stop with the virus/malware infections and they can use it just fine - If they can use it than the users of [H] should have absolutely no problem.

Windows popularity is based around aggressive marketing and forced installs. Linux doesn't have a marketing department.

Games via Steam are developed for Debian based distro's (ie: Ubuntu), but run faultlessly for the most part on any distro.
I'm talking about in a VM, not running it natively. Natively it wouldn't be a problem, you really need to keep Windows open for email and several other clients that only work in Windows.

And you're just wrong on Windows success. Apple agressively marketed Macs for years with entertaining (if somewhat misleading) commercials and they never came close to toppling Windows. OTOH, Chrome (which I don't use) managed to topple MS's browsers, despite the fact that everyone already had IE and in 10 both IE and Edge.

People want Windows. I they wanted linux, they could install it themselves (and given the short support period for Linux LTS releases, they'd need to do it at least 2x over the life of the computer). If they're buying a new laptop (or desktop), they're available. Dell has several and Linus uses the XPS.
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop?c=us&l=en&s=biz
And Dell is not the only company that has linux laptops. So there is no excuse, beyond a general lack of demand for *nix in the home.

And you're just wrong on Windows success. Apple agressively marketed Macs for years with entertaining (if somewhat misleading) commercials and they never came close to toppling Windows. OTOH, Chrome (which I don't use) managed to topple MS's browsers, despite the fact that everyone already had IE and in 10 both IE and Edge.

If Macs had not been priced above PCs but instead been about 10% less, I believe Macs could have gave Windows a run for its money. Steve Jobs' only mistake with the Mac was thinking that it being "better" would make it sell even at higher prices. If it had been setup so that computers had to be sold with no operating system, would free Linux have been more popular than Windows or OSx that you had to pay for? For a long time MS made OEMs sign contracts that they had to purchase their software so that the number of licenses was equal to the number of computers they sold to get a discount, and if the OEM already had licenses in volume equal to the number of computers they made, they lost money by not selling them with MS software installed. This was what was behind the whole anti trust case MS went through years ago.

If the playing field had been level all along would we still have Windows as the major operating system it has become?

I remember when I had a PC with Linux, Windows95, BeOS, and WindowsNT all installed in separate partitions. At that time honestly BeOS was as good or better than all of the others, just a shame it didn't catch on enough to make it profitable for the company. I actually installed BeOS after seeing Leo Leporte do a story on it on ZDTV(anyone remember that).

If Macs had not been priced above PCs but instead been about 10% less, I believe Macs could have gave Windows a run for its money. Steve Jobs' only mistake with the Mac was thinking that it being "better" would make it sell even at higher prices. If it had been setup so that computers had to be sold with no operating system, would free Linux have been more popular than Windows or OSx that you had to pay for? For a long time MS made OEMs sign contracts that they had to purchase their software so that the number of licenses was equal to the number of computers they sold to get a discount, and if the OEM already had licenses in volume equal to the number of computers they made, they lost money by not selling them with MS software installed. This was what was behind the whole anti trust case MS went through years ago.

If the playing field had been level all along would we still have Windows as the major operating system it has become?

I remember when I had a PC with Linux, Windows95, BeOS, and WindowsNT all installed in separate partitions. At that time honestly BeOS was as good or better than all of the others, just a shame it didn't catch on enough to make it profitable for the company. I actually installed BeOS after seeing Leo Leporte do a story on it on ZDTV(anyone remember that).

Again, Linux machines are available and what do people want? That's right, Windows. You're absolutely correct that MS did some crappy shit in the 90s...but it was the 90s. It's been 16.5 years since that case was settled. Plenty of time for Linux to take over the world. I mean let's be honest here. Linux was not even remotely user friendly for Mom and Pop until maybe 10 years ago (and even that's a stretch).

Dell tried marketing PC's with Linux to non-technical end users and it was a disaster and they quit doing it. Now it's marketed for business and mostly for developers.

Finally Apples pricing hurt it, but again, that's not what kept it from being #1. All they had to do was put the Mac OS on PC Hardware in the 80s and Windows probably wouldn't have been a thing. But once we got to the 90s and Windows was a thing, Mac OS wasn't as good as Windows. Especially once we got to Win 9x. I used them in some classes in College and they sucked. I had to help a friend configure memory for his mac and I ended up having to call Support (something I'd never done for any OS prior to that) and it was totally not intuitive. not saying editing a Config file in Dos or Windows was, but by then, as I recall, Windows managed memory for me (though I still ran games in Dos, so I had to mess with himem and other stuff I've long since forgotten.

Tl;dr Bottom line is you can't blame MS's shady business practices in the 90s for people not using Linux. Linux wasn't good for Joe Sixpack in the 90s or even most (all?) of the aughts.

Again, Linux machines are available and what do people want? That's right, Windows.

Windows is force installed on the machine at purchase and 99% of the population have no idea that it's even possible to wipe and reinstall Windows let alone any other OS. I see no evidence that Windows is specifically what users want, in fact as a tech that deals with a number of machines owned by the masses people complain about Windows and it's numerous issues all the time.

Misinformed Windows users need to stop with the 20 years ago rubbish. It's the past, it's done, it's not coming back and it by no means reflects the present.

They are (finally) removing some legacy code of Outlook Express? How is this just now happening? :confused:
I thought OE was long gone? They forced me off a while ago if I wanted to keep my original hotmail address. Now I'm stuck with web outlook. So slow.

Their job is to assist people having TECHNICAL issues with Windows and other MS products. Not listen to some jerk rant just so they can go and virtue signal about it.
You and your buds can go back to wherever you are where you aren't allowed to voice your opinion, because I'm from America. Have a nice life. By the way, most people agree with me, MS is lost at this point, so hate on me all you want. I have the numbers.

I saw this thread when it first appeared, and I just popped in and, well, I'm not surprised really at the state it's in, but the question I have is this:

Given the topic is about Windows and Windows alone how the hell did Linux find itself dragged into this yet once again? :D

<I know the answer, and of course I'm not alone...>

On-topic:

Apparently Microsoft wants to toss Paint, sadly, I mean I don't use it as my defacto default image editing program (no, I didn't call it an "app") but that doesn't mean it's not a staple of the Windows operating system. Fuck, what next, Notepad? Calculator?

Microsoft, what the FUCK are you people doing? :mad:

I actually used to prefer Outlook Express over Outlook, I'm gonna miss Outlook Express.

You and your buds can go back to wherever you are where you aren't allowed to voice your opinion, because I'm from America. Have a nice life. By the way, most people agree with me, MS is lost at this point, so hate on me all you want. I have the numbers.

I find it funny how people who scream "I'm allowed to voice my opinion" always want to silence other people from voicing opposing opinions. My opinion is that you are a jerk that is doing nothing but virtue signaling to make yourself feel better. Your actions have accomplished fuck all and will never amount to anything. A CSR is never going to report your inane babble to anyone. No one on the board of MS will ever see a single word you write in a letter to them. Your actions are utterly worthless and only serve to make you feel better about yourself. In other words you actions, make you selfish and will NEVER HELP ANYONE.

I find it funny how people who scream "I'm allowed to voice my opinion" always want to silence other people from voicing opposing opinions. My opinion is that you are a jerk that is doing nothing but virtue signaling to make yourself feel better. Your actions have accomplished fuck all and will never amount to anything. A CSR is never going to report your inane babble to anyone. No one on the board of MS will ever see a single word you write in a letter to them. Your actions are utterly worthless and only serve to make you feel better about yourself. In other words you actions, make you selfish and will NEVER HELP ANYONE.
HAHA yeah, heard of Martin Luther King, and a host of others that voiced their opinion? Seems you are also clairvoyant about if the CSR forwarded my complaints. Care to tell me tomorrows lottery numbers too? LOL

HAHA yeah, heard of Martin Luther King, and a host of others that voiced their opinion? Seems you are also clairvoyant about if the CSR forwarded my complaints. Care to tell me tomorrows lottery numbers too? LOL

Holy fucking shit man, deflate your ego. You are not Martin Luther King and this isn't segregation-era America. Boiling down what King did to just "voicing his opinion" proves you know nothing about what he did and how and why he made an impact.

Holy fucking shit man, deflate your ego. You are not Martin Luther King and this isn't segregation-era America. Boiling down what King did to just "voicing his opinion" proves you know nothing about what he did and how and why he made an impact.
Heard of an example? MLK is an example of many. Read the post. Don't judge me. And don't try to tell me what to do. I couldn't care less about what you say. I will say my piece. Not a problem with me if you don't like it. Why all the anger towards me? Don't like others with an ability to argue their point? Get used to it, it's the real world. So you like MS's actions like everyone else is complaining about on this thread? You attack me, what do you think about what MS is doing lately?

Back