Say Goodbye to These Windows 10 Features in the Fall Creators Update

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Microsoft has published a support document revealing what features will be removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: these include the Paint application, Outlook Express, screen saver functionality in Themes, System Image Backup (SIB) Solution, and Windows PowerShell 2.0.

The following features and functionalities in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update are either removed from the product in the current release (“Removed”) or are not in active development and might be removed in future releases (“Deprecated”). This list is intended to help customers consider these removals and deprecations for their own planning. The list is subject to change and may not include every deprecated feature or functionality.

I guess that is the benefit of telemetry. Microsoft knows who uses what features now and can remove rarely used ones as not to keep the OS bloated. Only downside I ever see to this is I always turn off all the reporting on apps and os that I use so they would never really know if I use something or not.

They're removing Paint?!?!?!?

post-278024-0-30306400-1411137495.jpg

I made a tiny sum after scammers locked peoples systems using Syskey, sad to see that go.

Why remove Paint, it's fast, tiny and has a small footprint. As always, Microsoft know's best, like when they removed the start menu on the much loved Window 8.

soo

they remove paint

does that include paint 3d?
as it is a separate app
and basically paint extended

think not

I'd say they want people to use paint 3d instead

Paint is great for quick cropping and resizing of screenshots. I only looked at the new Paint 3D app briefly, but the interface seemed lobotomized, and I can't think of an instance where the pseudo-3D feature would be useful to me. They have already made a terrible mess of Calculator, which used to be a nice compact app for quick calculations. Now we have an oversize monstrosity designed for cell phone screens. They had better never touch Notepad. Sometime simplicity is a strength.

They're not removing Paint, they're putting in the "will probably be removed in the future" bin.

Lol how dumb can Microsoft be. Only the clueless ones leave the telemetry on - so now they only see what the 80 year old grannies use when surfing the net.

You can purchase approved screensavers from the Microsoft Store, or better yet get a monthly screensaver subscription for only $8.95/month.

Microsoft Windows (tm). Application requires you to join the global spy.. eh social media network and application may contain in-app purchases.

that's the problem when people just read the summary without going to the source page.. Vanilla Paint is useless since the introduction of Paint 3D.. Paint 3D will be still installed by default and it's basically confirmed by the "3D Builder app"

3D Builder app

No longer installed by default. Consider using Print 3D and Paint 3D in its place.

Paint 3D it's an extended more advanced Paint.. why then is paint needed?. I use paint a lot, A LOT, however since Paint 3D as it do whatever you can do with paint and do it better I no longer use it.

You can purchase approved screensavers from the Microsoft Store, or better yet get a monthly screensaver subscription for only $8.95/month.
That works good. Why give it away for free all these years when you can make money off of the user.

Soon the OS will just be automated and you won't have that much of a choice.

Paint 3D does the job just plain and simply better than Paint. There's no reason to keep the old one around.

I had a support chat with MS a few months ago and proceeded to rip the support guy a new one. I asked why they were removing so many features, had reneged on so many promises, were a case study in the stupidity of corporate management, etc etc etc. I asked him to tell the board of directors and every MS exec what my complaints were. I hope they got to see my rant. It was epic. The person was so dumbfounded most of the questions they did not even attempt to answer. What a mess of a company.

I just used that backup to save my ass from their cluster of an upgrade for the Insiders Preview, and now it may be removed soon so I have to shell out a bunch of money for a 3rd party app. Ridiculous. MS is a case study in bait and switch marketing tactics and hating people and only pursuing money.

The help desk guy plays golf with the board of directors and is actually Bill Gates son in law. I'm sure your rant went straight to the top. /s
Yes, but it made me feel better. Some manager may actually see it, if not, I did try. I also provide feedback on their feedback hub, it's all I can do. If they choose not to listen, not much I can do. That is the world in general, it's funny how many people and businesses I have attempted to awaken from their slumber, only to find out they met the path they deserved. Such is life.

I use the backup function for my laptop. I haven't had to use it in a while but I have had to in the past. Hopefully they don't remove it from Server as that has saved my bacon more than once. Granted we have yet to roll out Server 2016 to anyone including our organization. Looks like I'll be using the free Veeam desktop backup tool on the laptop now. Works the same as the Windows backup, just have to make a different boot USB key or CD.

I had a support chat with MS a few months ago and proceeded to rip the support guy a new one. I asked why they were removing so many features, had reneged on so many promises, were a case study in the stupidity of corporate management, etc etc etc. I asked him to tell the board of directors and every MS exec what my complaints were. I hope they got to see my rant. It was epic. The person was so dumbfounded most of the questions they did not even attempt to answer. What a mess of a company.

I just used that backup to save my ass from their cluster of an upgrade for the Insiders Preview, and now it may be removed soon so I have to shell out a bunch of money for a 3rd party app. Ridiculous. MS is a case study in bait and switch marketing tactics and hating people and only pursuing money.

Yeah after that support guy hung up the phone call he said Fuck that guy and went to lunch. You were barking up the wrong tree my friend.

Yeah after that support guy hung up the phone call he said Fuck that guy and went to lunch. You were barking up the wrong tree my friend.
Not really, if you sit there and take it, all you will get is more of the same. Really had a good time telling them what dimwits they are, and most of the entire world agrees.

I use the backup function for my laptop. I haven't had to use it in a while but I have had to in the past. Hopefully they don't remove it from Server as that has saved my bacon more than once. Granted we have yet to roll out Server 2016 to anyone including our organization. Looks like I'll be using the free Veeam desktop backup tool on the laptop now. Works the same as the Windows backup, just have to make a different boot USB key or CD.
Hey thanks for letting me know about that backup tool. Microsoft is so smart, they have a horrible Mail client, no backup solution if they stay the course, and basically are hated the world over. What a great company!

Hey thanks for letting me know about that backup tool. Microsoft is so smart, they have a horrible Mail client, no backup solution if they stay the course, and basically are hated the world over. What a great company!

One nice thing about the Veeam tool is that you can keep revisions. I keep 3 just in case.

One nice thing about the Veeam tool is that you can keep revisions. I keep 3 just in case.
Thank goodness some other Information Tech company realizes that being able to back up your system is essential. MS is way smarter than us, and tells us they won't support their tool anymore, and to get our wallets out after we pay ~150-300 for their cluster of a software they claim is an "operating system". I use the term loosely.

Not really, if you sit there and take it, all you will get is more of the same. Really had a good time telling them what dimwits they are, and most of the entire world agrees.
You sound like a really fun guy. Lets all call support lines and power trip on the guys making 10 bucks an hour, it'll change the world! /s No really, it changes nothing. Just shows us you're kind of a dick.

You sound like a really fun guy. Lets all call support lines and power trip on the guys making 10 bucks an hour, it'll change the world! /s No really, it changes nothing. Just shows us you're kind of a dick.
Sorry you don't like me. I do speak my mind and if people don't listen to what I request, the world will fix it, I don't have to do a thing. If you are on MS side, I hate to tell you this, you aren't in the majority.

Back