Say Goodbye to the X2 and hello SLI

Vegasr

Gawd
Went ahead and sold my 4870 X2 and just ordered two BFG GTX 285 OC+ cards. The X2 is a good card, but just didn't seem like gaming was going as good as it could. I'm sure I'll see a performance boost with these 285s.

Glad to be back at the NV camp and a member of Club Sli again.

:)

I hear you can the remove the red stench from your body with vinager and tomato juice.

Welcome back the the green side.

I just wanted to make a funny post lol..

Green meaning E-Envy also.

Hmm... I guess 500+ GB of pr0n was a lot 6.8 years ago...

Oh! And my friend just got a GTX 285 SLi setup for his 30". Crysis STILL stutters...heh :(

I think he had them at 710 core, 16xx shader, 3000+ mem. I don't think he was pushing the limits. With an i7 at over 4Ghz, this setup was significantly faster than his old 4850x2. Have fun.

Thanks, I'm pretty excited.

Now I just need to decide whether or not to watercool them both. I had the X2 on water, mainly because of the hoover vacuum fan it had was unbearable. I'll see how these sound first though.

Gratz on the cards... I have been running 3xGTX 280s in tri-sli for a few months now, and I have to say it has allowed me to have some of the most enjoyable PC gaming I have ever experienced. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with your new setup. :cool:

If you wanna try out some of your new found physx capability, you might check out Cryostasis. It is quite good and genuinely creepy, with a fair amount of gee-wiz physx effects thrown in to help with immersion.

Gratz on the cards... I have been running 3xGTX 280s in tri-sli for a few months now, and I have to say it has allowed me to have some of the most enjoyable PC gaming I have ever experienced. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with your new setup. :cool:

If you wanna try out some of your new found physx capability, you might check out Cryostasis. It is quite good and genuinely creepy, with a fair amount of gee-wiz physx effects thrown in to help with immersion.
where did you get Cryostasis because I cant find the game anywhere? heck I havent seen any real reviews or even any info on the game in a couple months. all my searching has turned up is a release date of April 15, 2009 for US.

I'll definetly do that. Want to see what all this physx stuff is all about.

I'll definetly do that. Want to see what all this physx stuff is all about.
its crap from my experience. the only real game with noticeable physx features is Mirrors Edge and slowed down to 6 fps during those physx scenes. oh and yes I have Mirrors Edge updated and newest physx and video drivers. supposedly its bugged in Mirrors Edge if you have other Unreal Engines or something like that. I finally just turned it off so I could play the darn game. I really dont get it anyway as I have seen better looking effects without this silliness anyway.

I did the same thing awhile back. Not because I wanted to, but because I never could make the 4870 X2's work right in my system. It was unfortunate but in the end there was nothing else to do.

its crap from my experience. the only real game with noticeable physx features is Mirrors Edge and slowed down to 6 fps during those physx scenes. oh and yes I have Mirrors Edge updated and newest physx and video drivers. supposedly its bugged in Mirrors Edge if you have other Unreal Engines or something like that. I finally just turned it off so I could play the darn game. I really dont get it anyway as I have seen better looking effects without this silliness anyway.

Bologna, physx is pretty cool. It worked great in MIrror's Edge, even though it is just used for improving some of the graphics. Cryostasis makes a lot of use of physx and it looks amazing. Water streams down dynamically and pools, and ice will melt off the wall and break apart realistically. The water effects are also quite impressive indeed. Even the Watchmen game benefits from physx, as it allows for some truly gruesome and skull-cracking beat-em-up physics, it is so damned satisfying. I really hope the next Elder Scrolls game uses a lot of physx to allow combat to be more dynamic, with armor breakage and blood sprays, and real-time wounds. Imagine hacking at the same spot and having the armor cleave apart in that area. They could do some really amazing stuff with the magic as well.

As for Cryostasis... I imported the Russion version and applied the english subtitle patch, but the English version comes out very soon. If you want to check out physx though, you can check out the Cryostasis tech demo, though the game runs slightly better than the tech demo, in my experience.

Bologna, physx is pretty cool. It worked great in MIrror's Edge, even though it is just used for improving some of the graphics. Cryostasis makes a lot of use of physx and it looks amazing. Water streams down dynamically and pools, and ice will melt off the wall and break apart realistically. The water effects are also quite impressive indeed. Even the Watchmen game benefits from physx, as it allows for some truly gruesome and skull-cracking beat-em-up physics, it is so damned satisfying. I really hope the next Elder Scrolls game uses a lot of physx to allow combat to be more dynamic, with armor breakage and blood sprays, and real-time wounds. Imagine hacking at the same spot and having the armor cleave apart in that area. They could do some really amazing stuff with the magic as well.

As for Cryostasis... I imported the Russion version and applied the english subtitle patch, but the English version comes out very soon. If you want to check out physx though, you can check out the Cryostasis tech demo, though the game runs slightly better than the tech demo, in my experience.
I played the tech demo for Cryostasis and looked pretty cool but I hardly thought it was a big deal. also with low framerates objects reacted slowly and with fast framerates things reacted too fast. the Cryostasis tech demo just didnt look very natural to me.

I played the tech demo for Cryostasis and looked pretty cool but I hardly thought it was a big deal. also with low framerates objects reacted slowly and with fast framerates things reacted too fast. the Cryostasis tech demo just didnt look very natural to me.

Looked great to me *shrug*. The actual game implements the features quite well.

Since you are running nVidia, you should deffinately check out the physx fluid demo, it is pretty nice looking. It also has a cpu mode if you press H, so you can see how much of a difference the gpus can make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o07KjfBx8GE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok8ThRR-59Q

Pretty cool stuff.

I just wish green wasn't so full of themselves like Sony.

:rolleyes: Are you talking about the company specifically, or are you just going off topic and attempting to insult anyone that happens to enjoy owning an nV card due to the feature benefits?

:rolleyes: Are you talking about the company specifically, or are you just going off topic and attempting to insult anyone that happens to enjoy owning an nV card due to the feature benefits?
he has an Nvidia card so he is not trying to insult anyone. IMO Nvidia has been pretty arrogant ever since the 8800gtx.

he has an Nvidia card so he is not trying to insult anyone. IMO Nvidia has been pretty arrogant ever since the 8800gtx.

Ah, my mistake, I find that many ATi super fans are like Apple super fans and get really mean. Ahem.. ATi wasn't exactly humble during the 9700 pro days. :p

I owned both the 9700 Pro and 8800 GTX and could care less how the companies perceived themselves as long as the cards performed.

IMO Nvidia has been pretty arrogant ever since the 8800gtx.

I completely agree. I sold my two 8800GTXs, after 1 1/2 years of use, to get the X2 since that was the best option. Now, after 7 months of using the X2, I feel good going back to NV.

The Physx stuff looks cool, but wasn't a big factor in getting the 285s, yet kind of a bonus i guess.

I hear you can the remove the red stench from your body with vinager and tomato juice.

Welcome back the the green side.

I just wanted to make a funny post lol..

Green meaning E-Envy also.

thought it was a tub filled of green ketchup ? :D

I owned both the 9700 Pro and 8800 GTX and could care less how the companies perceived themselves as long as the cards performed.
I prefer that they be very competitive like they are now because we have some great cards to chose from and at pretty good prices too. btw the saying is actually "you couldn't care less". ;)

Actually the saying is as I stated it.
Once ATi gets their cards folding equal to nVidia's, I'll wash in spinach to remove the green so the red box doesn't get jealous. :p

Back