Say Goodbye To All Touch Screens!

I don't think wearing 5 electronic devices with silly things on your fingers is very efficient. :\

I don't think wearing 5 electronic devices with silly things on your fingers is very efficient. :\
Did you even watch the video? It's a work in progress. Ideally, the device would be small enough to be just one small camera/projector neckpiece tethered to a phone. The significant fingers would be identified with a minimally intrusive marker, or the device could even be trained to identify fingers by heat or other characteristic requiring no marker at all.

Very cool video.

Did you even watch the video? It's a work in progress. Ideally, the device would be small enough to be just one small camera/projector neckpiece tethered to a phone. The significant fingers would be identified with a minimally intrusive marker, or the device could even be trained to identify fingers by heat or other characteristic requiring no marker at all.

Very cool video.

But it's not there yet? :confused:

That is neat. I can't wait to see what this develops into.

I don't think it will be practical until the whole unit fits in a something the size of a pair of glasses with some sort of HUD.

I don't think it will be practical until the whole unit fits in a something the size of a pair of glasses with some sort of HUD.

Pffft. I'm waiting until I can mount it onto my contact lenses. But seriously, this is just a proof of concept type of project. Dude just did it as a research project. This happens all the time. Don't expect to see anything tangible anytime in the near future.

Before it's really ready for prime time, the processor would need to use image recognition to track the fingers in real-time. Wearing goofy colors on your fingers isn't going to cut it. Micro projectors are still a little clunky, but give them a couple of years and they should be small enough to work for this. I seriously don't think people would be okay with word clouds being projected on them when you walk up. Some major privacy concerns there.

I think by the time a lot of these problems are solved, we'll have something as good or better available.

Def has potential. even if it does not make it mainstram to the average consumer, think industrial...
cool find

Call me a skeptic on this one. When I saw the word cloud thing it really disturbed me. I think I'd rip the thing off that guy's neck and smash it with a large blunt object if it did that to me.

But the tech itself is kind of impractical. What if you're walking around and there's not a surface for you to project onto? What if you are in a hurry and cant afford to stop and display all your private emails on a wall for everyone to see?

It's interesting but I'd rather not broadcast what I'm doing on my phone for everyone around. :p

Indeed. Its kind of cool. But uh.... no thanks. Say good bye to all privacy for me.

Printable displays (OLED?) w/ touch screens seems like a better way of accomplishing most of those tasks, but this would probably be more energy efficient..

But the tech itself is kind of impractical. What if you're walking around and there's not a surface for you to project onto? What if you are in a hurry and cant afford to stop and display all your private emails on a wall for everyone to see?
You missed the parts where they show the guy clearly using his hand and arm as surfaces.

Very cool indeed. Of all the different capabilities shown, I actually liked the phone pad on the palm of his hand the most. Sometimes the simplest, most mundane things can be the most impressive.

It's cool but it is a still in half-way use, I want to see this device work outside in the mid-sunny day displaying image on your white hand. Better would be to implement this device into a cellphone as wearing it on neck.

But I would like more some kind of HUD/OSD systems, rather than external device.

i dont have to paint my finger nails for my touch screen... or wear anything distinctive to allow a camera to know which finger is doing what gesture.

to me it just seems really douche like imagine seeing some guy walking down the street with little colored rubber things on just the tips of his fingers he is wearing this round pendant with 2 lenses on it and he does that picture thing for some thing.

i think a hud on someones glasses is much better and as for control i donno voice commands work pretty well so far but perhaps a wrist band or a pair of gloves with contacts in each finger
bridge the switch with the thumb and a key pad will fit on your 4 fingers allowing dialing and t9 then a throwing motion or flicking motion can be used to send the call

Actually, none of the technology demonstrated in the presentation is new. The finger tracking technique is a really simple threshold method with connected component extraction. That's pretty much the gist of it; the rest is just a really awesome interface with databases and other services. The guy did a good job! Just because the low-level techniques are nothing new doesn't mean that this is pointless. He put together a great idea with a great presentation. Sure, it's completely impractical in its current form, but this could definitely influence the development of future products if used correctly.

But still, that's a REALLY cool project, and definitely inspirational for other students. I'm a computer science major myself, and I currently do research in digital imaging and computer vision, so this was definitely an interesting thing to watch. Thanks for sharing!

As for saying goodbye to my touch-screen phone... I'll pass ;)

Can I just say that I don't get all the hype of that.

The user interface of this new technique is so different to actually holding something in your hands.

I remember when the apple iPhone came out, the majority of our company went crazy for it.
I played around with it as well and yes, nice nice ... but you know what ? I need buttons to press and I need some kind of feedback which only buttons to turn or to press can give me ... and not this touch-hype.

This video just showed an extreme towards one direction, and any form of extreme solutions are unsuitable for most.

A question of taste you say ? Alright, then it's not my taste.

Back