Saw my first oled tv in person today

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So I went to Best Buy as they had this tv on display. The deep black was amazing, the shadow detail was so great as well. I hooked my mac up to it and put the dark night on it. It really adds a ton of detail that you normally don't see, it really is the future of displays if they can work out the kinks.

There was a huge problem though, the tv was artifacting like crazy. Pieces of the picture would go block like, almost like a low bit rate video. It only did it when there was motion, if I paused the movie the picture was fine. These were mkvs I ripped straight from my blurays, the artifacts didn't show up on the mac. I tried turning off all the 120hz stuff and any other features that may have caused it but couldn't remove the artifacts. It could have been a defective display or cable. I'll wait till another best buy has one on display as only one around me actually had it on display, to try it out again.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the biggest complaint that I've heard is the "flickering" that can be seen when the leds dim/extinguish. But that isn't something you are likely to see on an uncalibrated display in a showroom.

I'm waiting on the to come out as fast as possible to drive prices on projectors down :)

So I was able to see another lg oled in person today and play with it with my mac and a few bluray rips for about an hour. Picture blew some serious chunks, this one didn't have the weird artifacting the first one did, but there were major grain issues. Everything appeared as if grain was placed over it, even just the desktop wall paper. I turned off every kind of image processing option the tv had, still sucked.

If your best buy has a magnolia section and not just TV's on a shelf it should have the samsung oled. Go check that out and report back.

Personally, I wouldn't expect high quality from a new technology from a cheaper brand like LG at this time.

I'll wait for one of those random, cheap, but decent quality manufacturers to start kicking them out for a third of the price of regular sets.

Curious - could they create an OLED based projector? DLP/CRT/LCD are doable. But, is it not worth it, or not doable with the OLED stuff?

Curious - could they create an OLED based projector? DLP/CRT/LCD are doable. But, is it not worth it, or not doable with the OLED stuff?

You are looking at a tiny OLED screen with huge brightness or a very powerful full spectrum white OLED shining through an LCD.

Its not feasible to have a tiny very bright OLED display because we are only just getting Blue OLEDs to last long enough on normal screens.
The OLEDs would have to be shrunk massively and be much higher power, they wouldnt last long.

The cost would be ridiculous as well, it might be cheaper to get a laser projector.

And...
The major advantage of OLED is lost on a projector.
Projector screens are not black unless there is no light.
You are mostly at the mercy of light in the room and the colour/quality of the screen for the black level.

And...
The major advantage of OLED is lost on a projector.
Projector screens are not black unless there is no light.
You are mostly at the mercy of light in the room and the colour/quality of the screen for the black level.

I knew the black would be an issue, but everything else might be better. The rest of your post explained it well. Thanks!

Just looking forward to new projector technology besides 4K. Hopefully something kick ass comes in and on the market as prices drop to a better price. :)

I knew the black would be an issue, but everything else might be better. The rest of your post explained it well. Thanks!

Just looking forward to new projector technology besides 4K. Hopefully something kick ass comes in and on the market as prices drop to a better price. :)

I thought I'd be excited about 4k projectors, but what really excites me is that 1080p projectors are now very inexpensive. I just wish that high lumen, reliable, LED lit projection was available at a reasonable price. (I suffer from bulb anxiety)

I thought I'd be excited about 4k projectors, but what really excites me is that 1080p projectors are now very inexpensive. I just wish that high lumen, reliable, LED lit projection was available at a reasonable price. (I suffer from bulb anxiety)

There is an answer!

The Optoma HD131x is a very good bright 1080p pj, is quiet, does ghostless full 1080p 3D for movies and bulb life is 6k hrs on economy, 3k5 hours full power.
It can do 720p 120Hz too !
The original replacement bulb cost is only £113 which made me start to use it in full power all the time, so cheap!
http://www.avpartsmaster.co.uk/p-34333-original-lamp-for-optoma-hd131x-projector.aspx
The current version is an update called the HD131xe, and there are other almost identical models called the HD25 and HD25LV that use the same bulb.
The latest HD141x has just been released, dont know how it fares yet.

I've had my HD131x for 1 1/3 yrs and am under 1/2 way through the bulb.
It might last long enough for 4K projector prices to start dropping.
If not, I'll run it for up to another 3 yrs with a new bulb.

Yeah, its not just the bulb life, but the heat as well. In smaller rooms - it just gets so hot.

At this point I'm willing to take the PQ hit and use a Qumi Q5 or similar (even though I've had higher end Yamaha and JVC projectors) simply because my current place is smaller and I don't think I could stand the heat.

There is a huge gap between plama and oled tv result. Anyways what isthe price u are paying for the tv?

Yeah, its not just the bulb life, but the heat as well. In smaller rooms - it just gets so hot.

At this point I'm willing to take the PQ hit and use a Qumi Q5 or similar (even though I've had higher end Yamaha and JVC projectors) simply because my current place is smaller and I don't think I could stand the heat.

This is only 240W on full power.
Its a little gem.

Back