Saving Emails in Outlook Express??

alkoholik

[H]ard|Gawd
Got a question.....a buddy of mine just bought a new computer and wants to transfer his old emails to his new box. I know how to save the emails in a .pst file in Outlook but can this also be done in Outlook Express? I havent seen his computer but I'm pretty sure he's using WinXP. Thanks in advance!

There are options in Outlook Express for creating a backup, but it's a directory full of files...not as neat and clean as Outlook. You can do a search under his Documents and Settings directory for .mbx files, and that will show you the directory it's in. Move that whole directory to the same path on his new machine (assuming he uses the same user account on the new one.

I just did this for my fiancee, but I loaded Outlook first, and imported the mail into Outlook from OE. Then I made the .pst file, and convinced her to use Outlook on her new machine. This may not be an option, but if it is, go for it.

djnes said:
There are options in Outlook Express for creating a backup, but it's a directory full of files...not as neat and clean as Outlook. You can do a search under his Documents and Settings directory for .mbx files, and that will show you the directory it's in. Move that whole directory to the same path on his new machine (assuming he uses the same user account on the new one.

I just did this for my fiancee, but I loaded Outlook first, and imported the mail into Outlook from OE. Then I made the .pst file, and convinced her to use Outlook on her new machine. This may not be an option, but if it is, go for it.

probably not an option as its an older drive and he has no use for it in his new machine. also, he will be giving me the old machine to get the files off of and not the new machine....so that wont work. i hate OE....not sure why people still use it....esp when u have reg. outlook on the box already

Tiny said:
http://www.iopus.com/guides/oe-backup.htm

You don't have to move the drive. Just the data.

i just breezed thru that link....looks VERY helpful....ill take another look when it gets time to make the backup....just a quick note....will that give me an option to backup the files to a folder or file and then I can just burn it to a CD or DVD?

I don't see why not. Because it just states that you have to "transfer" the files to the new computer. It doesn't differentiate on what way to do that. So I imagine even using a USB memory stick would suffice.

They also give a link to this: http://www.adolix.com/outlook-express-backup/

it is a paid version, but the computer support guys at work swear by it. It has a free trial, so it is worth a shot at least.

Back