Save 50% on All Interplay Games with GOG

Wow nice! I think I'll pick up a couple of copies of Freespace 2 to gift out to people.

Sweet! Are these the versions of Fallout that have been made compatible with modern OSes?

Sweet! Are these the versions of Fallout that have been made compatible with modern OSes?
GoG gives it an effort, but I would find the GoG forum for each game and read the comments.

Getting some of the games to work requires some tweaks. They can be as mild as a compatibility setting for that game. Or, they can be relatively, imho, serious. I had a game where you had to delete the water textures out of the game in order to run it without locking up.

I had some major issues with Fallout Tactics though. I would watch out on that one. Others ran perfect.

Thanks for posting this, I picked up Fallout 1,2 & tactics, castles 1 & 2, and Freespace 1 & 2 all for 18 bucks! pretty sweet

Thanks for posting this, I picked up Fallout 1,2 & tactics, castles 1 & 2, and Freespace 1 & 2 all for 18 bucks! pretty sweet

no problem, i saw this and though.. you know.. someone might want Fallout 1 etc etc for 2.99 thats damn cheap.

i owned freespace WAY WAY back in the day.

Volition has stated they would kill to do a freespace 3 so who knows.. maybe one day we will get lucky.

i dont see why it wouldnt. Gog.com is pretty good about having things work correctly.

A new descent is in the works for the dsi btw.

no problem, i saw this and though.. you know.. someone might want Fallout 1 etc etc for 2.99 thats damn cheap.

i owned freespace WAY WAY back in the day.

Volition has stated they would kill to do a freespace 3 so who knows.. maybe one day we will get lucky.

Freespace and castles were nostalgia purchases for me. I played the first Castles game a lot back when it came out, I think I still have my boxed copy in storage.

I haven't played fallout 1 & 2 before, but I have played through Fallout 3 and NV, so I'm excited to check those out. Tactics was more a why not purchase, I've heard not so good things about it, but for $2.99 I might as well complete the collection.

Anyone out there own Giants? I am wondering if it has any multiplayer following that was what I enjoyed about it most.

Should quantify multiplayer, is there enough to get a game going most hours of the day and not be lagged out?

Anyone out there own Giants? I am wondering if it has any multiplayer following that was what I enjoyed about it most.

Should quantify multiplayer, is there enough to get a game going most hours of the day and not be lagged out?

I own it, but I doubt it's anything more than a single player game at this point. Hell, if you find out different please let me know!

SHOGO ... one of the most awesome games ever made

+infinity I loved that game, bought it again off GOG and can't get through the first mech level! I will eventually remember how to do it but isn't if fun when games are difficult?!

I forgot about Stonekeep and how much of a great game it was. Friends and I use to play Warcraft, Diablo, and this all the time after school.

Picked up Fallout 2 (thought I already had that) and Freespace 2.

Can't wait to apply the Open Source Project mod for FS2 that PC Gamer recommended to modernize the whole experience:
http://scp.indiegames.us

I hope I can get my old Saitek controller to work in Windows 7. :D

Bangin'.. they have Privateer.. (non-interplay)

Thanks for bringing this site to my attention!!

GOG rocks. The best thing that could happen to the future of gaming, I hope their philosophy (DRM-free, easy install, full portability and compatibility) takes over the market. That's why I buy games there I don't even really want, and games I already own many copies of. I bought Witcher 2 there, AND the Collector's Edition from Amazon, as GOG is run by CDPROJEKT (the guys responsible for the Witcher series) and I want GOG to prosper and expand.

GOG rocks. The best thing that could happen to the future of gaming, I hope their philosophy (DRM-free, easy install, full portability and compatibility) takes over the market. That's why I buy games there I don't even really want, and games I already own many copies of. I bought Witcher 2 there, AND the Collector's Edition from Amazon, as GOG is run by CDPROJEKT (the guys responsible for the Witcher series) and I want GOG to prosper and expand.

I agree. This is the first i have heard of them. I really wish them well. I hope they carry the full line of Origin Games. That would be something.

I don't buy games from anywhere else any more unless it's a DRM-free Stardock game. I hate DRM and there's some sort of online authentication B.S. associated with almost all PC games now.

sacrifice...

worth every penny
Sacrifice was such a great groundbreaking game that didn't get the attention it deserved.

If it hadn't come out the same year as Diablo II, and if SC:BW wasn't still being awesome as an RTS, then things may have been different.

Definitely worth checking out.

I missed Sacrifice but bought it just now purely on the recommendations here and the fact I buy random games on GOG all the time to support the service.

Will Descent 3 play on modern hardware OK?

I play the original disc version I bought in 1999 and it runs fine on modern tech. The graphics still hold up for what they are, just the textures are low resolution. For the record the D3D renderer is buggy with resource management and causes stutter. However it's the only renderer that supports 32 bit and color custom resolutions. To completely avoid stutter you can use a glide wrapper.

One issue is related to input - the game simply isn't designed for 2000+ dpi mice. You'll need to drop your mouse down to 300-600 dpi to get anything that resembles precise control. Or you can use a joystick. I found checking "Logitech Mouseman Mode" in controls helped with the precision as well.

-vsync -width 1920 -height 1080 -aspect 1.77 -bumped -z32bit -nocrashbox -nointro

The commandline I use to play is above (enter this in the "misc." tab of the Setup Button on the launcher). First four options are obvious, something many modern games lack :(. Fifth enables bump mapping on objects, 6th enables 32bit depth buffer. The last two disable the crash error message (it rarely crashes but I modded this game a lot), and intro movies. The game automatically enables special effects (object based motion blur and sparkling) ONLY if you own an Intel CPU. It reads the ID off of the chip directly and there is no way to force these if you own an AMD processor (Great PR stunt of the time, and we thought TWIMTBP was bad. Bump mapping was only originally supported by MATROX cards).

In all honestly though I've logged many many more hours in Descent 1 and 2 than 3. Something is just 'off' with the level design in 3 and doesn't have that sense of survival that the first two do. Be sure to play them if you haven't.

Back