Saumsung 840 Pro 256GB Running Slow?

cybertron

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, I'm wondering if someone might be able to help me troubleshoot my issue with a brand new setup I just purchased. This is my very first SSD as a boot device. I've used them in Vmware ESX servers as datastores, but not as a boot device and I'm trying to figure out why I'm having the odd issues that I am.

A few subjective items:
1. When windows shuts down, 9 times out of 10, it hangs for a split seconds, the screen goes dark as to suggest an application will not shutdown, and then it flickers away and the machine shuts down or reboots as I've requested.
2. Applications just seem to run relatively zippy, but they hang sometimes at odd places, almost as if the SSD is becoming inaccessible for a split second.

Lastly, I've created some screenshots using common utilities:

HD Tune:
HDTune.PNG

ATTO Benchmark:
ATTOBench.PNG

Very Lastly:
Running windows 7, SP1, fresh install (I've only installed a few things, namely drives, some from the mobo CD)
GA-Z77X UD5H
i7 3770k
16gb Crucial ballistics
1 other drive is installed on sata1 (SSD is installed on sata0)
BIOS is set to AHCI

Any suggestions would be awesome. And if you guys need more info, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

I notice the 1 second hang when I do directory listing sorts.

And, as someone else here mentioned I did test w/out Anti-Virus software running and it still has the issue.

However, mine tests fine, and I don't notice it in software or doing anything but directory sorting.

(thought I'd share that with you in case it makes you think / helps at all)

Are you sure you are on SATA 6Gb/s ports?

Problem resolved. I somehow was using the Marvel Chipset controller for this drive. Thanks guys! :D

ATTOBench2.PNG

And this is why I'm waiting for Intel to get off their asses and provide more than two native SATA3 ports for a mainstream platform. It's ridiculous that they've limited us to only 2 for so long, imo.

Anyway, glad it was an easy fix and all is well. :D

With two more ports and the current architecture you would run into the DMI bandwidth limitation just by using the drives, without USB 3.0 or networking or any other PCIe device from the PCH. I'm not sure what is planned with Haswell... DMI with PCIe 3.0 speeds?

And this is why I'm waiting for Intel to get off their asses and provide more than two native SATA3 ports for a mainstream platform.
There's nothing wrong here except operator error but the lack of triple SATA3 ports is why I purchased an LSI 9240-4i.

There's nothing wrong here except operator error but the lack of triple SATA3 ports is why I purchased an LSI 9240-4i.

Yes, but with more than 2 native ports, we'll start seeing a lot more boards with no 3rd party controller, which means this kind of thing will cease to happen because of a simple human error.

I'm having the same problems with my 840 pro, right now I don't have time to open my lian li v354b to switch ports.
Which sata3 ports should I be plugging my 840 pro in on an asrock xtreme 4-m?

Yes, but with more than 2 native ports, we'll start seeing a lot more boards with no 3rd party controller, which means this kind of thing will cease to happen because of a simple human error.

Maybe yes and maybe no.

Personally, I think 3rd party controllers are here to stay. :)

Maybe yes and maybe no.

Personally, I think 3rd party controllers are here to stay.

Once x8x chipset boards arrive with 4+ native ports, I doubt 3rd party controllers will be on many lower and mid range boards. On upper-end boards, I think they'll remain a standard.

Once x8x chipset boards arrive with 4+ native ports, I doubt 3rd party controllers will be on many lower and mid range boards. On upper-end boards, I think they'll remain a standard.
Seems like you just proved my point. :confused:

Honesty, the confusion is because people don't bother to read the manual.

Seems like you just proved my point. :confused:

Honesty, the confusion is because people don't bother to read the manual.

You stated that you felt 3rd party controllers were here to stay...you didn't specify if it was going to be on all boards or only some. :p

Reading the manual: ahh, the printed gospel and reveals all truths. :D

You stated that you felt 3rd party controllers were here to stay...you didn't specify if it was going to be on all boards or only some
Neither did you. :p LOL!

Reading the manual: ahh, the printed gospel and reveals all truths
Let's not limit it to the instructions.

I've seen soo many redundant questions on many forums it's obvious some users are just plain lazy and should be ignored.

Neither did you. :p LOL!

But I did. ;)

Let's not limit it to the instructions.

I've seen soo many redundant questions on many forums it's obvious some users are just plain lazy and should be ignored.

I'm right there with ya. A lot of our help and advice posts could be copy and pasted between threads. Heck, they could be within some threads!

Third party controllers will probably still be used for eSATA ports. Then some manufacturers will put one eSATA and one additional SATA next to the Intel/AMD ones, and the problem continues.

On my board there is one Jmicron and one Marvell on top of the Intel (one for 2*SATA3 and one for 2 eSATA), and I added one SiI 3132 and one LSI SAS2008 for good measure :D

I'm right there with ya. A lot of our help and advice posts could be copy and pasted between threads. Heck, they could be within some threads!
Just save all that and use "search". :D

Third party controllers will probably still be used for eSATA ports. Then some manufacturers will put one eSATA and one additional SATA next to the Intel/AMD ones, and the problem continues.
But of course.

3rd party chipsets aren't going anywhere.

Back