Satori firmware for Linksys WRT54G

Silent Assasin

[H]ard|Gawd
So a litle more then a year ago, I set up my first wireless network using the WRT54G. It was still only version 1.0. I have the router set up in the basement, I tried using my laptop on the back porch, and I had a very horrible connection. I then started to look around for a different solution. This was before the high gain antanaes for the router. And then I can't remember how, but I found this firmware program called Satari. It gives you tons of more feutures then the standard firmware put out by linksys. One of which allows you to boost your siginal strenght by raising your xmit power (basicly overclocking the router).

But anyway, just recently my router has been disconnecting from my cable internet modem. And I find myself hard restetting it at least once a day in order to gain internet access. I can still access my router and ping other computers on the network, but neither wired nor wireless can access the internet until I reset the router. Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I've alread tried cloning my mac address, disenabling WEP, and several other things. Or could this just be a dreaded failure from esentially overclocking my router, but if this was true, I don't know why the wire switch would be effected......

put it back to the regular mac address.. maybe it will work without disconnecting . :)

I had that problem when I raised the xmit power on my WRT as well. I ended up opening the router and heatsinking the 2 chips that get hot inside of it, and never had any problems since.

Oh, and you are not overclocking the router. You actually can overclock the main chip though using OpenWRT. All you are doing is raising the power output of the radio so you get a better signal. I wouldn't raise it past 50mw without a heatsink though. That was the point where I started having problems.

I guess I never thought about overheating. But the xmit power has been at 60 for a very long time now. I was planning on running over to compusa today, I'll prolly pick up some heatsinks then. How big are the chips that I need to cool?

Here is a pic of WRT54g v1.0. It is drastically different from all later versions of this router, but I am sure it is the four chips in the upper right corner of the pic that should be cooled. The square Broadcom CPU, the two TSOP ram modules, and the rectangle ADMtek ethernet switch.

Sweet, thanks man. I was trying to find some internal pics of the router before I cracked it open, but to my luck I couldn't find them untill you. Great help on telling me what parts need to be cooled as well.

Lately I've been into the modding mood and will probbably end up building a custom box for it with fans and everythin as well. I'll take my old fand that I no longer need (now water cooling my current rig) And build a box out of it.

Back