SATA vs NVMe vs NVMe Gen4 tested by LTT

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
LinusTechTips tested the perceived speed difference in games and video editing of the storage technologies in otherwise (nearly) identical configurations. Results, expectedly, confirmed the inability to tell a difference in some of the usual PC tasks.

Sounds about right. The latency/access time improvements alone, even for SATA SSD's, is more than enough for for most users.

Pull your flash and throw a spinner in your system and reinstall 10 just for shits and giggles. I did it a few years ago just to see what it would be like. It's incredible how spoiled we have become.

they did not state what the actual ssds was used ,as a samsung pro sata ssd is faster then most nvme ssds especially current 1st gen ssds (pcie nvme 4gen)

but overall the cpu will be the limit when loading data once you have even a sata ssd (only moving around or installing large program or game you notice )

Back 20-30 years ago, I got around boot times by just leaving my rig on 24/7. Only rebooted it if I needed to so I did not need to wait. Once I got my first SSD I stopped doing that.

Back 20-30 years ago, I got around boot times by just leaving my rig on 24/7. Only rebooted it if I needed to so I did not need to wait. Once I got my first SSD I stopped doing that.
I've never woried about boot time, even on spinners since I rarely booted as well. It was always the constant churning every time you opened a new window or new application. SSD noticably faster even on the very first ones that came out 10+ years ago.
they did not state what the actual ssds was used ,as a samsung pro sata ssd is faster then most nvme ssds especially current 1st gen ssds (pcie nvme 4gen)

but overall the cpu will be the limit when loading data once you have even a sata ssd (only moving around or installing large program or game you notice )
True, and while LTT do act dumb at times, they know what they are talking about. I suspect they are using good stuff since they often buy and test cheap fake/generic parts to see how they perform next to the real stuff. They know to only use good stuff.

I remember going from a 7,200 rpm to a WD Raptor and it was night and day. Then same thing from that to SSD.

Yeah, for years The Tech Report would include real-world games and application load times in their new SSD reviews.

This is nothing new to me :D You'd have to be editing 4k video to hit the bandwidth limits of SATA 6 gbps

Yeah, for years The Tech Report would include real-world games and application load times in their new SSD reviews.

This is nothing new to me :D You'd have to be editing 4k video to hit the bandwidth limits of SATA 6 gbps
As per video, even 8K RED footage is 280 MB/s, below SATA limit.

Sounds about right. The latency/access time improvements alone, even for SATA SSD's, is more than enough for for most users.

Pull your flash and throw a spinner in your system and reinstall 10 just for shits and giggles. I did it a few years ago just to see what it would be like. It's incredible how spoiled we have become.

I spun up a cheap HP AIO for an outside customer the engineer bought because it was on clearance a couple months ago. Of course he had to buy more ram for me to install. I almost pulled my hair out setting up Win 10 plus programs on it with that cheap ass laptop spinny disk in it. Told him to not buy anymore without an SSD or at least buy one to stick in ffs.

Waiting for the obligatory "I know more than Linus" or "Linus has ads so everything he does is wrong" posts. Almost none so far. Cmon guys, don't disappoint me!

Waiting for the obligatory "I know more than Linus" or "Linus has ads so everything he does is wrong" posts. Almost none so far. Cmon guys, don't disappoint me!

I don't care for watching Linus - most of the time, he misses the big picture in his reviews, and the constant sales pitches get annoying quick.. But if he tells the truth, I will agree with it.

Reactions: Maxx
like this
We asked Linus if he thinks his reviews tend to ramble-on focusing on building up drama. He replied with a 30 minute video and we're pretty sure he said "no", but I think we're going to watch it again.

I found it amusing to say the least. I'm surprised no one yet has said "They should have used Optane in RAID0!"

I liked the video he did about his new storage server, it's so fast it's slow again :D, seems you are able to get so much storage bandwith the computer does not know what to efficiently do with it anymore.

Reactions: Meeho
like this

When it comes to SSDs I likely do know more than Linus. It's like Steve says for GN: we don't have the time or resources to be experts at everything. That's why he (Steve) picked up Buildzoid, for example. However I enjoy Linus's content and I feel he does a good job breaking things down practically for his audience and further, within the context of this specific video - Does a Faster SSD Matter for Gamers? - his findings are largely valid.

As per video, even 8K RED footage is 280 MB/s, below SATA limit.

Yes, SATA SSDs are largely sufficient for video rendering, in terms of bandwidth. If you're doing editing then latency becomes more important, and NVMe is definitely superior for many aspects of that.

Back