> SATA System drive on XP install.

i use a WD SATA Raptor for my system drive. However if i dont unpug my IDE HDDs durring the install they the ide drives take the c:\ drive name. and even afterwords it takes the first master hdd and thinks it is the master hdd and wont let me change the drive name or do some other things. is there a way to make it so in my unattended install i dont have to worry about this?

My SATA controller is by Promise and i couldnt find an otption in either the bios or the sata bios to have it boot first from sata, unless its is regarded as one of the boot order options. If this is the wrong forum please point me in the correct direction.

Every board I've worked on or used scans the IDE drives first. As far as I know, if the XP install detects a formatted drive, it will give it the letter C before trying to setup unformatted drives.

I'm going to assume this is a home system, so I'm not sure why it's worth the trouble to hassle with an unattended install, when a quicker better option is available.

Unplug the IDE drives, and install XP to the Raptor. Once you have XP installed, plug the IDE drives back in. Once you get your drivers set up, get Norton Ghost, and ghost an image of the Raptor to the IDE drives. It will take 5 minutes, and you have a complete system backup.

if your using a pci controller for the sata drive, you'll need to change the boot order to either SCSI/sata or Other boot device. it should then find the drive, provided you've loaded drivers intel boards find it just fine it most AMD boards require you to load the driver on install. why not just remove the ide drive from the boot order completely?

Back