SATA Optical Drives

djnes

Fully [H]
I'm thinking of picking up one of the LiteOn SATA drives to run in my DS3. I'm not too thrilled at the lack of DOS access for the onboard IDE controller from Gigabyte. Anyway, are there any pitfalls right now keeping people from making the switch? I know only LiteOn and Plextor make SATA drives, from what I've seen. I thought there was a Samsung, but I didn't find it.

I have plenty of spare SATA ports, but will I still be able to boot from the SATA DVD drive if I'm using AHCI mode in the BIOS? I'm not expecting any performance gains either, just for it to work on par with their IDE brethren. There hasn't been much written about SATA drives lately, so I'm wondering if there are some pitfalls that are keeping people away.

As of now, I might just wait. None of the SATA burners support LightScribe.

samsung does have one Samsung SH-W163 I didn't look around to see if it is actually available at all, but I doubt it. I've been really disappointed by the lack of sata dvd burners. Last I heard there were going to be a bunch released by various companies within the next year or so. Not really sure what the hold up is though.

sirholio said:
samsung does have one Samsung SH-W163 I didn't look around to see if it is actually available at all, but I doubt it. I've been really disappointed by the lack of sata dvd burners. Last I heard there were going to be a bunch released by various companies within the next year or so. Not really sure what the hold up is though.
i am dissapointed aswell. sata has babied me, no more ide origami!

djnes said:
As of now, I might just wait. None of the SATA burners support LightScribe.

Not sure I agree with you guys... I have an LG GSA-H30L. It's SATA and it also does LightScribe.

It seems like their are a few now...that I missed. Samsung and LG do in fact make Lightscribe SATA drives.

I really hope SATA burners become more abundant and cheaper soon. I'd like to avoid using any IDE on my next build.

Back