SATA lock for ports 1 and 2 on MSI K8N Neo2

I read somewhere a while back that a certain bios for the MSI K8N Neo2 allows SATA ports 1 and 2 to lock. Normally, only ports 3 and 4 lock. Is this true?

Thanks.

Anyone? I want to add a 3rd sata HD without buying a controller card. I suppose I could try it...

I was under the impression that as long as your boot drive isn't connected to ports 1 & 2, it remained locked. Am I wrong to think that?

SATA ports 1 & 2 if used will work.. BUT if you overclock they will become UN-stable as they do NOT lock.. That is why using the ports above the Vid card area (ports 3&4) are a MUST..

Captin Insano said:
SATA ports 1 & 2 if used will work.. BUT if you overclock they will become UN-stable as they do NOT lock.. That is why using the ports above the Vid card area (ports 3&4) are a MUST..

Roughly at which point do they become unstable, and what directly causes the instability, high HTT, high memory, or what?

Basically, I'm thinking I can tune my overclock so it doesn't cause instability.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Roughly at which point do they become unstable, and what directly causes the instability, high HTT, high memory, or what?

Basically, I'm thinking I can tune my overclock so it doesn't cause instability.

You cant tune it that way.. Just wont do it.. It normally goes haywire anywhere from 205 to 220 fsb. The really do not like to opperate above stock setting when using #1 and #2.. Just switch to 3 and 4 and you can be free of this issue..

Captin Insano said:
You cant tune it that way.. Just wont do it.. It normally goes haywire anywhere from 205 to 220 fsb. The really do not like to opperate above stock setting when using #1 and #2.. Just switch to 3 and 4 and you can be free of this issue..

Yeah, but what if I want to use 3 sata drives? I guess I could get a controller card.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Yeah, but what if I want to use 3 sata drives? I guess I could get a controller card.
Once again.. If you overclock (basically AT ALL) the SATA ports 1 and 2 will not function and will probably cause boot issues, Blue screens, corruption of data, ect.. So DONT USE them if you plan to OC..

Back