Sata HDD and power connector

Milenko

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, I just bought the Barracuda 160 gig SATA drive from CompUSA and I just remembered that SATA drives need some sort of power connector..

I have an antec psu, this one to be exact, and it came with my case, which is this.

I was wondering if I need anything special to make this drive get power...like any adapters etc.

It seems that the only connections on the PSU are normal 4 pin plugs and the floppy drive etc plugs (not including the MB connection wires)

Just picked up a pair of Hitachi 7K250's, they have both sata and legacy power connections as well.

[edit] Holy smokes, these things blow my Maxtor D740's right out of the water. Damn fast! I love that slick sata cable too, even if the performance isn't so significant vs pata.

Originally posted by agent420
Just picked up a pair of Hitachi 7K250's, they have both sata and legacy power connections as well.

[edit] Holy smokes, these things blow my Maxtor D740's right out of the water. Damn fast! I love that slick sata cable too, even if the performance isn't so significant vs pata.
Hows the noise level? I was really considering a hitachi until compUSSR had the seagate 160gb on sale for $90 :rolleyes:

They are much quieter than the Maxtor D740's, can barely tell they are operating. Quietest drives I've ever had. Very satisfied.

Originally posted by agent420
They are much quieter than the Maxtor D740's, can barely tell they are operating. Quietest drives I've ever had. Very satisfied.
good luck to you, anyone know if they have resolved IBM's reliability problems?

Originally posted by Menelmarar
good luck to you, anyone know if they have resolved IBM's reliability problems?
Never owned a Deathstar, but from what I understand from the forums, articles and reviews I researched in choosing this model:

1. There is a firmware update for the older Deathstars that apparently addresses the reliability issue.

2. The 7K250 is a completely new design by Hitachi, that among other things addresses the weaknesses in the earlier IBM/Hit design.

I guess I'll find out :D I use a backup plan for any drive manufacturer, my data is worth more to me than any company's reputation. All's I know is that they are very fast and very quiet.

Back