Sata errors on laptop with no sata ports

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an A-data S40G 4TB Nvme. The A-data SSD toolbox and firmware update errors with the message NO sata device found. Well considering the Asus Tuff Dash F15 laptop has NO sata ports only two M2 Nvme slots I understand the message. No telling when A-data will update the software to work without sata devices... Is there any way to install sata protocol or a registry hack? The software works fine in a different computer with both Nvme and sata ports. Why would Nvme even use sata for anything? Other than the A-data software the drive works perfectly fine. Only real issue is I would have is to put the drive in a different machine to update the firmware....

While it will probably not work (since it is looking to enumerate a local SATA device) you could try plugging in a USB <-=-> SATA bridge adapter and see if accepts that.

While it will probably not work (since it is looking to enumerate a local SATA device) you could try plugging in a USB <-=-> SATA bridge adapter and see if accepts that.
I do have sata to usb TRIM enabled cables with UASP .. since these cable have an as media 15** chip in them maybe they'll work. I'll try one only way to find out.....

I tried the sata to usb cable but it made no difference of course I don't have an external Nvme case no way to interface the Nvme drive externally... By the way the Intel toolbox detects all drives without a sata bus.

I tried the sata to usb cable but it made no difference of course I don't have an external Nvme case no way to interface the Nvme drive externally... By the way the Intel toolbox detects all drives without a sata bus.
plop the nvme drive in your desktop as a secondary temporarily, update the firmware, move said drive back to lappy.

don't have a desktop NVme machine but do have another laptop with two Nvme ports AND a sata port. As you said and I suspected as much drive works and updated perfectly.

For now it will be a rarely needed to change drive to update, eventually Manufacturers will a update the unities so the sata won't be needed. I expect that within a couple of years sata will mostly be gone....

Back