sata detected as scsi

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, I have a sata dvd burner and windows detects it as scsi and so installs a scsi driver. I thought it orginally was a southbridge problem, but its not. ATI guy said he had the same problem and he fixed it by forcing a driver update to make it look like an IDE drive. anyone know where I can get a driver to do this? I am using XP x64. The main reason I want to do this is that SecuRom blacklists scsi and says that it is emulation software.

That's interesting... I checked my PC's which use ICH and Marvell based RAID/AHCI controller's for my onboard SATA and they've all installed IDE based drivers.

What controller does your PC use?

Also, do you have your controller in RAID, AHCI or IDE mode? I wonder if it's in RAID mode, if that might cause it, and switching to AHCI (a switch XP should be okay with assuming you're not actually using a RAID array) might solve it.

I am using the SB600 controller on my motherboard. I am running Raid 0 with 2 Raptors. It is in Raid mode, not AHCI.

RAID controllers, in my experience are often seen as SCSI devices, so as long as you are using RAID0, this might just be the case. A driver update isn't going to fix that. In turn, your SATA optical drive will also be seen as a SCSI device because it is connected to the RAID controller. Unless your board has separate SATA controllers, you may be SOL at the moment.

If it was my system, I'd sell one of the Raptors and get myself a large storage drive for my data files. Then I'd set the controllers to AHCI and be done with it.

I'd also consider PMing a mod and asking them to combine your threads.

I am using the SB600 controller on my motherboard. I am running Raid 0 with 2 Raptors. It is in Raid mode, not AHCI.

I have no experience whatsoever with that chipset, but it's probably caused by the RAID mode. The cheapest solution is to either swap out your SATA optical drive for an IDE or pick up one of those cheap VIA chipset based controllers.

Or crack the game.

Maybe someone with experience with SB600 controller's might have better advice...

I don't know if it will help but I have a Gigabyte SB700 board (very similar to SB600 it seems) and in my BIOS there's an option so the first 4 SATA ports are RAID and the last 2 are IDE see if maybe you have an option like that.

I don't know if it will help but I have a Gigabyte SB700 board (very similar to SB600 it seems) and in my BIOS there's an option so the first 4 SATA ports are RAID and the last 2 are IDE see if maybe you have an option like that.

Thats a negative. I can change it between raid and ahci, but if I change it to ahci, I would assume that it would make my raid 0 operating system not boot correct?

I have the Asus M2NSLI Deluxe and my sata drives are listed as SCSI also all three of them plus the two Samsung DVD drives are s the same have been looking for a fix myself and have found out that some drives or controllers see the drives this way.

Back