Sata 2 or Sata 3 in Laptop?

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the HP Pavilion dv6-6145dx. I was looking into an SSD for it, but can not find anywhere that it says that this is a Sata 2 or sata 3. There's no since in buying a 3 if I cant use it, especially since I can find a great deal on used sata 2s. I googled this thing and everything, and have run out of options. I sent an email to HP support, no reply yet. Is there someone in device manager that would say?

Pretty sure that is sata 3, but I am not as familiar with AMD chipsets as Intel ones.

I feel pretty confident that it has SATA III ports on it. But there isn't a law that says you have to use a 6gbps drive. I've had good luck buying used drives, but some are more suitable than others. There are a few drives I'd stay away from buying used.

also. i doubt you would see a different in a sata 2.0 vs sata 3.0 ssd.

sure benchmarks on the 3.0 would be higher. but you're daily usage model isn't representative of synthetic benchmarks.

don't "buy specs"

Thanks, with the prices of SSD's falling, there is no benefit to having a 5400 rpm drive in my laptop. Not when I only use 120gb of the 640gb drive

also. i doubt you would see a different in a sata 2.0 vs sata 3.0 ssd.

sure benchmarks on the 3.0 would be higher. but you're daily usage model isn't representative of synthetic benchmarks.

don't "buy specs"

This... and I'll add that I doubt you'd see a difference in most uses whether the SSD was connected to a Sata II vs. Sata III port. Folks get too worked up on this Sata II/III port/ssd thing... as the man said, don't "buy specs".

Buy a Crucial M4, Samsung, Plextor or any Intel at the price/size that fits you and don't look back.

Back