SAS to Sata cable for old Savvio 10.2k hdd

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently purchased a cheap 29pin sas to sata cable converter to power a *working Seagate Savvio 10.2k 73gb drive. The only problem is it doesn't power the drive as it doesn't spin up and there is a notch on the sas connector of the drive with copper connection traces whereas the 29pin female connector doesn't have the matching traces to connect provide contact to it.

So the drive doesn't power up nor make any noise.

Did I buy the correct connector?

Any advice is appreciated.

Well that's shit, what is the point of companies making SAS to SATA converters if SAS drives are not supported on SATA interfaces? Using a SAS backplane?

Even if the interface isn't supported, the hard drive should at least spin up.

Any points as to what I should do now?

I believe SAS drives do not spin up unless the SAS controller tells them to do so.

Purchase a $100 SAS card off eBay + SAS cable (since most SAS cards will be SFF8087) if you want to keep the SAS drive otherwise sell the drive.

Edit: This will do fine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-CN-0HV...E-RAID-CONTROLLER-6GBs-SAS-SATA-/300971665320

Edit2: Here is the proper cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-INTEL-L...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item4612576690

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
SAS is dual ported normall, and is a all in one connector, two connections and a power cable.

If you break it out, it would look like a power cable and two sata cables, but the voltage is double, and the language it talks is different.

SAS controllers are backwards compatable with sata though, so a sas card can talk to sata drives, this is why there are adapter cables, and also some cards use sata ports instead of a 4port cable.

And as the above said, sas drives power on, but don't spin till told to, by default. Sata spins up normally, unless told not to.

Well that's shit, what is the point of companies making SAS to SATA converters if SAS drives are not supported on SATA interfaces? Using a SAS backplane?

Read what you wrote; SAS to SATA. Not SATA to SAS. Unfortunately you learned it the hard way. The good part is in general the cards can be really cheap. I've got a supermicro one craigslist up for $30 that no one is interested in for whatever reason. In general there are many inexpensive SAS cards; Older perc 5/i's, perc 6/i, LSI 9240, IBM M1015, HP and Intel all have different cards.

The wiki article has a lot of great info about SAS

Last edited:
Back