Sargas (Sempron AM3)

Finally 45nm K10.5 is trickling its way into the (very) low end. Intel still doesn't have 45nm in their desktop Celerons yet.

Probably pair it with a sb750 board and unlock the disabled core(?) for a kick but start to an HTPC for under $100

Probably pair it with a sb750 board and unlock the disabled core(?) for a kick but start to an HTPC for under $100

People need to stop talking about unlocking cores like it is normal. You have any idea what the practice is costing AMD? People returning cores because they wont unlock not to mention the problems an attempt can cause.

Its a kick ass single core CPU that will be enough for Hulu pair it with an ATI 4550 and you have a kick ass and quiet HTPC..

its probably not even a quad anyways.. its probably a die shrunk 65nm LE processor.. which was basicly the new sempron during the x2 period..

good to see AMD bringin back the processor names we all remember.. they should of stuck with them from the beginning instead of creating the phenom brand name..

People need to stop talking about unlocking cores like it is normal. You have any idea what the practice is costing AMD? People returning cores because they wont unlock not to mention the problems an attempt can cause.

I'm surprised AMD hasn't done anything about it yet. The profit margins are low enough without people buying X4's for the price of dual cores... :confused:

I'm surprised AMD hasn't done anything about it yet. The profit margins are low enough without people buying X4's for the price of dual cores... :confused:

they have.. they have told motherboard manufactures to fix the ACC code so that it cant unlock the cores.. and most board manufactures have completely ignored them.. the only other way to fix it completely is to go in and sever the extra cores.. but thats just not cost effective..

Well if it helps sales, board manufacturers wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think AMD should worry about it.

I wonder if we can drop it to 800mhz-1ghz @ 0.85 or less voltes for a super low tdp? I love stuff like this as a "router" chip.

Well if it helps sales, board manufacturers wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think AMD should worry about it.

As long as the number of people that do it is very limited, I guess it doesn't hurt AMD that much. But if a lot of potential X4 buyers get X2's or X3's instead because they can be unlocked, then it will hurt profit margins big time. For board makers, it's obviously a sales argument if their product has a good success rate unlocking cores.

For AMD, there's always the "native" dual core Athlon II's which are probably more popular among the value crowd (outside of tweakers and overclockers). Also, maybe they've changed something on the Sempron 140 so the old method of unlocking just doesn't work...

I wonder if we can drop it to 800mhz-1ghz @ 0.85 or less voltes for a super low tdp? I love stuff like this as a "router" chip.

cool n' quiet drops the 940 to 800mhz @ .90v anyways.. so there should be no reason you couldnt force it to run there 24/7..

I was thinking the same, hell these would perform even better than Atom chips for the same application.

cool n' quiet drops the 940 to 800mhz @ .90v anyways.. so there should be no reason you couldnt force it to run there 24/7..

Wouldn't simply enabling Cool n Quiet give you the best of both worlds? 800 MHz low voltage operation under light loads (probably 90% of the time), while more demanding tasks would finish quicker and not bog down the system as much, because of the higher clock speed that the CPU switches to? What about going into the Vista/Win7 power saving control panel and manually limiting the CPU to max e.g. 40% - would that affect the speed/voltage?

Wouldn't simply enabling Cool n Quiet give you the best of both worlds? 800 MHz low voltage operation under light loads (probably 90% of the time), while more demanding tasks would finish quicker and not bog down the system as much, because of the higher clock speed that the CPU switches to? What about going into the Vista/Win7 power saving control panel and manually limiting the CPU to max e.g. 40% - would that affect the speed/voltage?

Because cool and quiet is finicky and knowing that it will be EXTREMELY low power all the times means you can take off the fan (DO THIS CAREFULLY and make sure the case fan is blowing enough air through the fins!) With an ok heatsink.

yeah it should.. as for the power saving controls in vista i have no clue since ive only spent maybe 3 hours on vista.. and that wasnt on any of my systems.. plus i havent really used cool 'n quiet since the ol' socket 754 days.. all my computers sit at full load 24/7 and are overclocked..

Its a kick ass single core CPU that will be enough for Hulu pair it with an ATI 4550 and you have a kick ass and quiet HTPC..

I remember unlocking the AMD Duron 900Mhz cpu by drawing lines with a lead pencil trick. Ah the good old days... worked beautifully :D

PhenomMsrTweaker...
Create a low voltage P0 state and raise the CPU load threshold to 50% or whatever
This would keep the processor at the 800mhz setting most of the time, and it would only raise to your custom P0 state when absolutely needed.

They can be unlocked btw, just read somewhere that with the SB 710/750?. these unlock just like dualies>quads.

They can be unlocked btw, just read somewhere that with the SB 710/750?. these unlock just like dualies>quads.

Thank you for destroying more of AMD's market share. Please proceed to celebrate high prices for Intel CPUs that barely change over a 2 year period.

How much does it cost AMD? I dunno, how many people are there that try to do this? Maaaaaybe 1/1,000 ? Hmm. Damn, you're right. This is a serious problem. AMD should call out the big guns to police the less than 1% of PC users that would actually attempt to unlock a CPU then narrow those down to the paybe 10% of that already less than 1% that are returning CPU's that won't unlock.

CMON GUYS !! Lets nail that .1 % of evil PC users that are returning unlockable CPU's !!! Damn those evil minority bastages !!!

Seriously, I wish people would stop reacting so harshly to an EXTREME MINORITY like it's the fn norm.

Honestly, I'd like to see one of you .1% try to unlock one of these CPU's to give the over reactors something else to overreact about.

Oh, unless things have changed that drastically I believe the percentage of PC users that even know wtf OverClocking is to still be only less than 10% of PC users worldwide. Of that maybe 10% I'd bet only 80% actually OverClock. Now probably 10% of THAT minority are saavy enough to attempt an unlock or go thru the trouble to try.

Thank you for destroying more of AMD's market share. Please proceed to celebrate high prices for Intel CPUs that barely change over a 2 year period.

ROTFL. Seriously. . . STOP POSTING !!!

How much does it cost AMD? I dunno, how many people are there that try to do this? Maaaaaybe 1/1,000 ? Hmm. Damn, you're right. This is a serious problem. AMD should call out the big guns to police the less than 1% of PC users that would actually attempt to unlock a CPU then narrow those down to the paybe 10% of that already less than 1% that are returning CPU's that won't unlock.

CMON GUYS !! Lets nail that .1 % of evil PC users that are returning unlockable CPU's !!! Damn those evil minority bastages !!!

Seriously, I wish people would stop reacting so harshly to an EXTREME MINORITY like it's the fn norm.

Honestly, I'd like to see one of you .1% try to unlock one of these CPU's to give the over reactors something else to overreact about.

Oh, unless things have changed that drastically I believe the percentage of PC users that even know wtf OverClocking is to still be only less than 10% of PC users worldwide. Of that maybe 10% I'd bet only 80% actually OverClock. Now probably 10% of THAT minority are saavy enough to attempt an unlock or go thru the trouble to try.

ROTFL. Seriously. . . STOP POSTING !!!
Dude. You have to be careful, Zachstar reported me for "insulting him" when all I did was correct him on his misinformation. lol :p :rolleyes:

I love how the unlockers like to make it seem like a limited thing when topic after topic grows to talk about unlocking cores and forums fill with more and more topics about it.

Almost the first question asked on many topics about new mobos and CPUs is "Can it unlock? Hows the unlocking? How easy is it to unlock?"

Its disgusting really. Sadly AMD is not doing enough to end this practice.

Honestly, I want to see AMD with a 2.5ghz+ one of these chips with a 35w TDP for the basic user and HTPC crowd. Then I'll be impressed. The 45w TDP thing has been done before and with 45nm they should be able to do better, especially with a single core.

Whats wrong with 45W? Even that you can passively cool and you can underclock it down to 35 or 25W quite easilly.

At its price its perfect for underclocking.

Zachstar, how many people do you think really unlock cores? How many CPUs do you think AMD sells, and then of those, how many do you think are not sold to OEMs? Continuing on this train of thought, how many people buying their own CPU do you think buy a lesser CPU with the intention of unlocking? Don't you think AMD had to have examined their options for dealing with unlocking? Why shouldn't people be able to tinker with their hardware? Why the beef with unlocking without also imploring overclockers to stop?

zachstar said:
Whats wrong with 45W? Even that you can passively cool and you can underclock it down to 35 or 25W quite easilly.

By your logic, you should just buy a slower, lower powered chip from AMD because they designed it to suit that purpose. :rolleyes:

Give me a break. Unlocking's a gamble and I think most people understand that.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way.

Take me for instance, if I was going to buy a chip right now I wouldn't spend more than 120 bucks. I could get either a mid-range intel or a midrange AMD.
In that bracket I would traditionally choose the intel since it would overclock higher and have more performance BUT since I can use my geekly ways and maybe turn the mid-range AMD into a high clocking quad core, the AMD has once again won my attention.

All of that on top of the fact that it stirs up interest. Keeping our interest is VERY important if they want to sell us some parts. To sell to OEMs and non overclockers you need performance per dollar. To sell to geeks you toss them a bone. You make your chip more appealing by giving it more overhead and they will pick your chip over the competitiors. Sure we bought the mid-range instead of the top end but if the chip wouldn't have been available we might not have bought at all (it caught our interest and seemed to good to pass up) and when you make interesting things we buy more frequently.

Last edited:

Nothing is wrong with 45w but not everyong wants to mess with underclovking so if AMD has a 2.7ghz 45w CPU they should bin some of those for 2.5ghz with a target TDP of 35w for the people that really want the most worry free passively cooled system.

Underclocking is the same as OverClocking in that there are always people that would rather pay to have something out of the box than to have to mess with it themselves to achieve what the under/overclockers have.

you know we only account for around 5% of the market share and even if we all went amd and we all tried unlocking cores i'd say only around 10-15% would return them if they didnt unlock :(

anyways i like the sempron series but i would rather buy a 65w dual core and underclock it then buy a faster 45W single core just because multithreaded applications would run faster

you know we only account for around 5% of the market share and even if we all went amd and we all tried unlocking cores i'd say only around 10-15% would return them if they didnt unlock :(

anyways i like the sempron series but i would rather buy a 65w dual core and underclock it then buy a faster 45W single core just because multithreaded applications would run faster

hell, it would surprise me if enthusiasts had 5% of the market.. and even then only a fraction even unlocks, i know about unlocking, i have a 7750 which MIGHT unlock, but i havent bothered, my mobo doesnt have a capable bios (knew i should have gone gigabyte..), and i just dont need it that bad.. If i want a quad core, i'll buy a quad core, i dont feel like taking the gamble on a tri/dual and unlocking stuff

Back