Sarah Palin E-Mail Hacker Found Guilty of Coverup

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The 22 year old former University of Tennessee student was convicted on the lesser charges of obstruction of justice and computer intrusion, but dodged more serious felony charges.

Kernell famously hacked into Palin’s Yahoo webmail account while Palin was the Republican vice presidential candidate. He used publicly available information about Palin to reset her password to “popcorn,” then posted screenshots of some of her e-mail, and the new password, to the /b/ message board on 4chan so others could enjoy it.

Lucky guy could have been much worse as some of the judges giving down similar sentences are super harsh.

He's still going to get 20 years.

that depends totally on how grievous they view the destruction of evidence, in this case deleting materials from his hard drive.

assuming he's got good enough lawyers to prevent major felony charges this far(not including the obstruction of course) i wouldnt expect any major sentence here. probably 5 years @ Club Jail, with possibility of early parole starting somewhere around 18 months.

all in all, because the kid pranked a political figure using her own public info to "hack in" will now cost the tax payers more money to feed and house him, not counting the time in court and other jail time he's served, if any. Dont get me wrong in the fact that i agree with what he did, and he should get off clean. Far from it. I just don't see the purpose of leaving a kid in jail till he's 40 as serving a purpose for society, when he's done nothing to truly hurt society as a whole IMO

This kid should be in prison. It doesn't set a very good precedent if you can pull a stunt like this and not spend real time in prison.

This kid should be in prison. It doesn't set a very good precedent if you can pull a stunt like this and not spend real time in prison.

For how long though yes there should be a punishment but nothing to severe!

sending someone away for 20 years for hacking an e-mail (and nothing else from what we've heard) is ridiculous.

sending someone away for 20 years for hacking an e-mail (and nothing else from what we've heard) is ridiculous.

He did it to a vice presidential candidate. That's just a few hops and a skip away from the Secret Service beat down. Granted it was Palin, but still that's getting awfully close to the top rung of our government.

It should be a felony atleast dunno on the years as I'm not in the business of handing out sentencing.

If he had any dignity he would of taken responsibility for his actions. What a pussy. That's whats wrong with these youths, they won't take responsibility for their actions. Go ahead and commits crimes just be a man and admit guilt when your dumbass gets caught. At least you would a shred of dignity left. Actually I would have more respect for him if he would have manned up, so to speak. Now he's going to be a convicted felon and a lying POS.

BTW my comments above should not infer I am standing at the foot of the cross. If/when I commit a crime I will be sure to take full responsibility for it and report back here pronto.

He did it to a vice presidential candidate. That's just a few hops and a skip away from the Secret Service beat down. Granted it was Palin, but still that's getting awfully close to the top rung of our government.

It should be a felony atleast dunno on the years as I'm not in the business of handing out sentencing.

I see your point and agree somewhat but I suppose I see people committing murder and getting 4-5 years and this person hacking an e-mail could get 4x as much ? I just find that unacceptable. But the law is the law.

I see your point and agree somewhat but I suppose I see people committing murder and getting 4-5 years and this person hacking an e-mail could get 4x as much ? I just find that unacceptable. But the law is the law.

You can get charged with treason just as easily. What's the difference? The manner that you commit an act or who you are targeting?

You can rob a bank or you can sell air thru derivatives and rob billions? What's worse?

This kid targeted a VP Candidate, a VP Candidate of our country. He deserves real punishment and a felony charge.

You can get charged with treason just as easily. What's the difference? The manner that you commit an act or who you are targeting?

You can rob a bank or you can sell air thru derivatives and rob billions? What's worse?

This kid targeted a VP Candidate, a VP Candidate of our country. He deserves real punishment and a felony charge.

GS and JPM stealing WAMU, def crooks.

If someone did it to Joe Biden or a black congressman he would've been gone for a long ass time. Liberals always have a two faced agenda.

Not just hacking but putting all the information with other peoples private emails and information on the web. And yes 20 years would be a good place to start for all hackers that do stuff like this!

If someone did it to Joe Biden or a black congressman he would've been gone for a long ass time. Liberals always have a two faced agenda.

The kid was convicted by a jury in Tennessee.

Since Tennessee has a Republican governor, 2 Republican senators, and went for McCain in the last election... I wouldn't call them Liberal per se

So why isn't Palin punished for being an idiot and making it that easy to gain access to her email? I don't think he should go unpunished but throwing him in jail seems a waste. Make him give speeches to government officials on the importance of choosing strong passwords or something. Calling him a "hacker" seems laughable as well, more like a lucky guesser or inductive opportunist.

So why isn't Palin punished for being an idiot and making it that easy to gain access to her email?

Maybe I need to be punished because I only have a deadbolt lock on my house door. Pretty easy for a burglar to get past that, eh?

The kid was convicted by a jury in Tennessee.

Since Tennessee has a Republican governor, 2 Republican senators, and went for McCain in the last election... I wouldn't call them Liberal per se

Umm, Phil Bredesen is a Democrat...a pro-business Democrat, but a Democrat nonetheless.

Maybe I need to be punished because I only have a deadbolt lock on my house door. Pretty easy for a burglar to get past that, eh?

Actually I would compare it more to leaving a key under the welcome mat and then being surprised that someone found it and broke into your house. Do I really think Palin should be punished? no. Do I think the kid is an idiot for not only hacking it but then posting all the stuff he did and then trying to "burn the evidence" when busted? yea. I just highly doubt there would be half the exposure, and as severe charges against him had it not been so public a figure. Plus I have a general distaste for all politicians.

Apparently less than two still ridiculous in my eyes but don't do mess with a public figure (asking for a huge punishment)

I think public and nonpublic should get equal treatment under the law. This view that we have about elected officials being better then the people that elected them, is half our problem. We have to rethink our importance in society.

Yeah, he got *real* close to our top rungs. By hacking a Yahoo email account. That Palin was using, in part, for some official business. Who used an easy-to-guess security question, no doubt despite being in a position where she should be a bit more careful and informed about such risks.

Yes, the kid should be now have a record, but keep in mind his "hacking" part was as much a crime of opportunity than anything else. He wouldn't have had this opportunity had Palin not been a moron.

The only thing he really has to worry about is his obstruction of justice charge.

funny the hacker gets in trouble but Palin who broke several laws gets nothing.
-using public email
-having husband write on her behalf
-sending personal/private/state/federal info via public rather than government email
-for seeing russia from her home

just to put it in perspective. if i twittered/emailed sensitive hipaa information about a nursing home resident i could receive thousands in fines or even jail time, not a book signing and a whole group of fat republican tea party members that ignore the fact they will be on medicare/medicaid since they have no retirement plan to cover their nursing home costs or healthcare costs that can reach 3000-10000$/month.

This topic probably needs to be filed under the term, 'negligence.'

I agree with the poster who says this is more like leaving a key under a mat than having a defeatable protection mechanism like a deadbolt lock. In the end, Palin should be 'punished' by having it known she was being negligent with official business (both governor stuff but also by virtue of being a public figure prone to targeted attacks) by using a Yahoo account. She didn't break any law, most likely, but she shouldn't have been putting herself into such a position in the first place.

That's the point she was a CANDIDATE, which means absolutely jack shit as far as any real power. This isn't like the VP, Pres, or a member of congress who actually is an elected official, hell this wasn't even someone who was running for a position (we don't vote for VPs).

Its crazy we give that sort of protection to people not even in office, I mean hell I can be a VP candidate too maybe even run for president from some random off shoot party, but you know what I'm not going to get that level of protection.

Honestly breaking into someones Yahoo account is a dangerous crime? No I don't think so, and not worthy of more than a few months in jail and community service. Put it in perspective people it was Yahoo! Not some government account.

Just as JFK had Nixon's headquarters bugged. the Dems are still using the same low, uderhanded tactics...just as they did when they bugged Newt Gingrich's phone calls. "It was just a prank." BULL! He did it at his father's behest. I I had anything to say about it he'd have gotten the full 50 years and the full fine. They'll just give him a slap on the wrist. Perhaps a civil suit is Sarah Palin's best resort...in an Alaskan court! The Dems are not now nor were they ever gentlemen. Too bad that they outlawed duelling!

I bet he serves 6 months...tops, in a minimum sec prison for white collar offenders.. Democrats are going to whine like little bitches as usual and Pres Obama will pardon him.

Just as JFK had Nixon's headquarters bugged. the Dems are still using the same low, uderhanded tactics...just as they did when they bugged Newt Gingrich's phone calls. "It was just a prank." BULL! He did it at his father's behest. I I had anything to say about it he'd have gotten the full 50 years and the full fine. They'll just give him a slap on the wrist. Perhaps a civil suit is Sarah Palin's best resort...in an Alaskan court! The Dems are not now nor were they ever gentlemen. Too bad that they outlawed duelling!

Wow, did you just use Nixon as a victim in a bugging incident?

If it had been a democrat, ANY democrat, the person would be called a threat to the government, trashed by the media, and sentenced to 50 years.

But if it's a republican, it's 'a joke'. This is the same bullshit reason why the media hides any bad democrat action, and acted like the anti-war marches during Bush was 'patriotic' and then proceeds to bash the tea party any chance they get.

Democrats are full of shit.

I like how this turned into a self-victimizing 'democrats are evil' thread.

Do you guys also own a rape horn?

lol "see russia from her home." Funny thing is, is that a lot of people actually believe she said that. It's cool and hip to make fun of her. And you're not sexist too! But you're racist if you say half the things against O.

LOL this is cool to see this on Hardocp's homepage mainly because I read it daily and I know the guy irl.

closer to leaving your key under the gnome on your doorstep. Guessing the password is equivalent to using a key that was left in a predictable place.

Back