Sapphire's 8 GB R9 290X

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
Sapphire have produced a custom 8 GB R9 290X No, not an X2, a single GPU with 8 GB VRAM.

Unfortunately they've cocked it up by giving it only one DP port.

Sapphire have produced a custom 8 GB R9 290X No, not an X2, a single GPU with 8 GB VRAM.

Unfortunately they've cocked it up by giving it only one DP port.

For some reason AMD isn't allowing the flexibility with output connections like they have in the past with the 290. So, 2X DL-DVI, 1X HDMI, and 1X DP and that's it. Likely created support issues for them in the past, or maybe the connections are important for their new Crossfire implementation.

8GB vram is nice, but only 1 Display Port makes it all close to useless.

if the games use over 4gb of vram on this card then the upgrade does take into effect.

I don't understand why some people think that you have to use full capacity of the card's vram to be worth it.

ignorance I say.

A pair of these would be great for star citizen @ eyefinity :p

This. Unless you want to downsample from 8K or something, but even tri-fire 290Xs would struggle with that I'd think.

Not with 3x 4K monitors - if the cards had 3x DP ports so you could run them. Baasha showed that his Titans were VRAM-limited in some games running at 3x4K.

if the games use over 4gb of vram on this card then the upgrade does take into effect.

I don't understand why some people think that you have to use full capacity of the card's vram to be worth it.

ignorance I say.

How is it ignorant to point out that you're throwing money at unneeded VRAM? It's like paying extra for wings on a boat.... You can say hey my boat has wings! While everyone thinks you're an idiot because it can't fly.

How is it ignorant to point out that you're throwing money at unneeded VRAM? It's like paying extra for wings on a boat.... You can say hey my boat has wings! While everyone thinks you're an idiot because it can't fly.

It's worth it for some people, and not for others, simple as that. For people gaming on multiple high res monitors this is what they need, no doubt about it, for others, it's a complete waste ofc.

It's worth it for some people, and not for others, simple as that. For people gaming on multiple high res monitors this is what they need, no doubt about it, for others, it's a complete waste ofc.

You said it.

how U eyefinity with only one display port??

a vast majority of people game at 3x1080, 3x1200 or 3x1440 for eyefinity.

Perfectly fine for those.

The single DP only becomes an issue over 1440.

Yeah, my message earlier should have mentioned 4K. If the price gets adjusted this would be a sweet card for 1440 eyefinity.

Tough getting that cooler to work in multi-card configs though.

But is the card it's self powerful enough to run any game to use 8Gig, or will you be getting like 15FPS with all details cranked and AA maxed out and still only be using 4-6Gig of VRAM..

But is the card it's self powerful enough to run any game to use 8Gig, or will you be getting like 15FPS with all details cranked and AA maxed out and still only be using 4-6Gig of VRAM..

Texture mods aren't gpu intensive and eat up RAM.

Has AMD fixed up the 'only one card can output video in crossfire' thing? I only have a single 7970 so no clue if the drivers or new hardware have fixed that up.

DP doesnt have the bandwidth for 3x4K from one output.

Back