Sapphire: water that doesn't get things `wet'

wonder if its conductive... expensive... available? Doubt its available, more than likely its expensive at this point, and who knows if its conductive :confused: not to mention if it has the same heat conducting properties as water...

Originally posted by thebro
bet its cheaper then the 3m shit [43,000 a gal]

The 3M fluorinert pf5060 is £30 a litre, minimum purchase of 6litres, thats from a supplier i found in the UK. i dont know where you are getting 43,000 a gallon from...

EDIT

Looks like Sapphire is actually a 3m Product afterallL

The SAPPHIRE Suppression System uses 3M® NOVEC™ 1230 Fire
Protection Fluid

Something better than Fluorinert?

Originally posted by PaulMuaddib
EDIT

Looks like Sapphire is actually a 3m Product afterallL

The SAPPHIRE Suppression System uses 3M® NOVEC™ 1230 Fire
Protection Fluid

Something better than Fluorinert?

if it wasnt for 3M we would still be in the dark ages!! These guys make sooooooo much stuff. They are incredible. Also the 3M guys in the UK are always very helpful. They are awesome...the problem is until i win the lottery i cant afford to buy a few litres of each fluid and test it out...

Originally posted by Syphon Filter
The 3M fluorinert pf5060 is £30 a litre, minimum purchase of 6litres, thats from a supplier i found in the UK. i dont know where you are getting 43,000 a gallon from...

well i was just saying;)

i saw it for $24 an ounce:eek:

Yes I have decided that 3M is a government front that releases declasified materials that was created by the government. That's why they have invented everything.;)

hmmmm wonder what it would be like to swim in dry water? You could be wearing your suit and dive on in. Cell phone, keys, shoes and all then swim around, hop out and be on your way. Interesting.... Next up cool fire!!

Not really that big of a deal. It's intended as a Halon replacement and is volatile at room temperature / atmospheric pressure and has a boiling point of 120.6 F and freezing point of -162.4 F. It also breaks down on exposure to UV (including sun light).

Doesn't look to be of much practical use to the enthusiast, unless designing a fire suppression system for one's computer room.

And it is most definitely NOT conductive (nor does it mix particularly well with water). It is a fully fluorinated ketone and is quite non-polar in character, so even if one dumped salt into it, it still wouldn't conduct worth a damn.

...and leave it up to ABC to completely misrepresent reality. They make it seem as though Tyco had accomplished something, when all they did was show off a chemical designed by 3M for the purposes for which Tyco (among others) is using it. Also, "SAPPHIRE" is the system, not the chemical. I surprised they didn't find a way to incorporate rocket engines into this fine piece of misreporting. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Cardboard Hammer
...and leave it up to ABC to completely misrepresent reality. They make it seem as though Tyco had accomplished something, when all they did was show off a chemical designed by 3M for the purposes for which Tyco (among others) is using it. Also, "SAPPHIRE" is the system, not the chemical. I surprised they didn't find a way to incorporate rocket engines into this fine piece of misreporting. :rolleyes:

That's why I hate Tyco. The only thing good to come out of them is there RC cars.

Originally posted by Cardboard Hammer
Not really that big of a deal. It's intended as a Halon replacement and is volatile at room temperature / atmospheric pressure and has a boiling point of 120.6 F and freezing point of -162.4 F. It also breaks down on exposure to UV (including sun light).

Doesn't look to be of much practical use to the enthusiast, unless designing a fire suppression system for one's computer room.

Perhaps in a pressurized system? If they could raise the BP to at least 180-190 this would be an ideal substitute for H2O in cooling systems. As it is, perhaps a modified Phase Change system would be workable.

Back