Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz $220 after $20 AR @Newegg

they are also offering a 5% discount code for the mobile site.

MLBNOV16 today only i believe

Wow! The GHz edition nonetheless, all those people selling their 7970s in the forums for more are going to be pissed.

I snagged one of these up immediately, this is an amazingly hot deal. I don't think I've ever seen a GHZ edition 7970 for less than $280ar, this is $60 cheaper, and has a very nice heatsink on it. Not to mention the fact that it comes with the amd gold award. This is slightly faster than a 680 but slightly slower than a 770gtx for the most part, but I would rather have this than a 2gb 770gtx due to the extra gb of vram. I have heard of people getting massive overclocks with this particular card too.

The mobile 5% off coupon doesn't work though.

Thank you OP for the great deal

Wow, $220 for a ghz edition and 3 games? That's a great deal.

I may sell my gtx 760s and xfire these! ;)

The mobile 5% off coupon doesn't work though.

Thank you OP for the great deal

my bad... sorry, dyslexia set in..

MBLNOV16 IS THE CODE

i must still have Major League Baseball on my mind!!

just tried it and won't combine with the gold reward...sorry

Last edited:
Smoking HOT imo!!!!! good for those who got in on it...same price i paid for mine...but this is much higher clocked gpu

Looks like this model is discontinued on newegg now. So if something like this pops up again you better jump on it quick!

Came in yesterday... This card is loud as shit! I repasted the GPU today, the factory job looked awful, but I'm not convinced it'll make it any quieter. My MSI 7950 TF3 is a mouse in comparison at load.

Anyone have any tips as to reducing the in-game fan noise? Without spending $$ on a aftermarket HSF? I swear it's equal to the gtx480 in loudness. I'm down to BIOS flash or whatever if it helps...

Came in yesterday... This card is loud as shit! I repasted the GPU today, the factory job looked awful, but I'm not convinced it'll make it any quieter. My MSI 7950 TF3 is a mouse in comparison at load.

Anyone have any tips as to reducing the in-game fan noise? Without spending $$ on a aftermarket HSF? I swear it's equal to the gtx480 in loudness. I'm down to BIOS flash or whatever if it helps...

ruh-roh..... mine is being delivered today. I thought the Vapor-X model was supposed to have a good heatsink?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/24/sapphire_vaporx_radeon_hd_7970_ghz_edition_review/9

The VaporX fan unit installed on the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 did a great job of keeping the card well cooled, clocking in 4 degrees Celsius cooler at idle than the reference Radeon HD 7970 at idle and 17 degrees cooler under load. The GTX 680 performed comparably to the reference Radeon HD 7970. While overclocked, the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 temperature did not increase, however, the fans did spin up slightly higher than they did at the stock speed. We also noticed during idle situations, the fans would occasionally turn off. At standard settings, the fans were not audibly noticeable but when increased to 100% they are rather noticeable.

Wow wish i could have grabbed a second one, I paid 300 for this not to long ago. As far as the quietness you can try the saphire trix software and mess with the fan speed settings and oc and the likes. I think this card is voltage locked. In playing around a bit I oc'd the gpu to 1125 and the memory like 100mhz and it seamed pretty solid. The thing is at stock 1080p I haven't really found anything that maxes out the card.

Also on after market cooling be careful as these are not reference 7970 boards so you could run into interferences. I have also read that the vaporx 280x bios can be flashed on these for a minor performance bump but I am a little hesitant to try it out.

Make a custom fan profile using something like Afterburner or Trixx.

As long as the heatsink/fans themselves is efficient it could just be they have set a rather aggressive fan profile to keep temps down.

If the problem is the heatsink/fans itself then there isn't really anything you can do without addressing that directly.

You could adjust the voltage to lower the heat being generated as well if the card is voltage unlocked.

As far as the loud fan, just don't let it go over 61% and you won't even hear it.

These fans are blowing air info the radiator? Shouldn't they be pulling the air?

smoking deal for sure -- which is why I priced my 7970's (that did over 1GHz) how I did in the forum when I sold them.

Funny enough I still had low ballers asking for me to do 200 shipped. (shipping is $10 minimum for standard post around here)

smoking deal for sure -- which is why I priced my 7970's (that did over 1GHz) how I did in the forum when I sold them.

Funny enough I still had low ballers asking for me to do 200 shipped. (shipping is $10 minimum for standard post around here)

So lets see the current market value is $220 after rebate shipped on a good deal (which will only get better in the next two weeks).

You are selling used versions and calling $200 shipped a low ball offer. If you ask me that is pretty good for a used option of old hardware that has likely been overvalued (theoretically lowering its expected lifespan). That is a 10% discount to spare a rebate at the expense of diminished lifespan.

Sounds to me like you are the one overvaluing your heavily used product.

So lets see the current market value is $220 after rebate shipped on a good deal (which will only get better in the next two weeks).

You are selling used versions and calling $200 shipped a low ball offer. If you ask me that is pretty good for a used option of old hardware that has likely been overvalued (theoretically lowering its expected lifespan). That is a 10% discount to spare a rebate at the expense of diminished lifespan.

Sounds to me like you are the one overvaluing your heavily used product.

He could have sold them a year ago from how I read his post so I think you may be way off base here.

He could have sold them a year ago from how I read his post so I think you may be way off base here.

no, he just listed them on 11/15/13 and still has one for sale it seems. his thread doesn't say whether he sold the 2nd one or not.

I thought the same thing as Solo. He wants $225 shipped for one card. At first I thought he was saying they offered $200 shipped for 2 cards...

he does say he sold them though. So, he got a really good price if he got $225 each for a used card when a new one could be had for $220...

ruh-roh..... mine is being delivered today. I thought the Vapor-X model was supposed to have a good heatsink?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/24/sapphire_vaporx_radeon_hd_7970_ghz_edition_review/9

The repaste made little to no difference, I read on some other forum guy changed the thermal pad for the VRMs and it helped quite a bit with the VRM temps.

Last night I used afterburner to make a custom fan curve and have it basically set to linear from 25% at idle up to either 60 or 55% at 90C. I can still definitely hear it but ran through Guild Wars for about an hour and half and didn't see it top 78ishC at somewhat bearable fan level. It blows my mind I have to do this manually, guess I'm such a geezer now I can't really come to expect this stuff to be perfect out of the box.

Back