Sapphire Vapor X HD7950 Double Deuce WAR Custom Edition Water Cooling

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
Found some time today to enjoy some custom water cooling tweaking.

Bummer that nobody makes a custom water block for the Sapphire Vapor X HD7950 but I have found a way to water cool it by modifying a XSPC New Edition HD7970 RAZER water block. I got the name from a similar mod that I did to an MSI GTX 560ti 448 TFIII/PE that I modded for custom water cooling.

Here are a few photos to show you guys where I am at right now.

The block taken apart with an area marked for my first cut to fit the Vapor X BIOS switch

blockmarkingWAR.jpg

After all my cuts the block fits and looks like this.

CutsonblockWAR.jpg

A few cuts on the block stainless steel top and its ready to be sealed up.

TOPWARCoverfit.jpg

So far, so good. :)

Update.

The main body of the block on the GPU and vRAM is on with 1mm Fujipoly extreme thermal pad on the vram and Cool Laboratory Liquid Pro on the GPU.

I have modified the XSPC aluminum heat sink to fit VRM #2 and I am using the stock VRM #1 Vapor X bracket. I am using Fujipoly Ultra for the VRM. .5mm on the small VRM #1 and 1mm thickness directly on VRM #2 and .5mm between cooper VRM water block.

This is what it is looking like so far.

VRM2WAR.jpg

Last edited:
Mounted.

WarinCase.jpg

I will be playing UT3 with it soon. :rockout:

OOooh.. purdy...

I don't get why companies aren't making coolers for the 7950 :(

Thanks. It works great as well, now I just have to figure out how to over clock the card.

There are a few HD7950s made that will fit water blocks.

The Vapor X HD7950 is one card that has no full cover water blocks for it.

Still haven't figured out how to over clock this card and I'm not quite where I want to be on over clocking it but here are temps for 1250/1600 with full run of Furmark 1080 res.

Ambient temps 24C.

WARTEMPSVAPORX.jpg

Thanks. It works great as well, now I just have to figure out how to over clock the card.

There are a few HD7950s made that will fit water blocks.

The Vapor X HD7950 is one card that has no full cover water blocks for it.

The Komodo is so ugly and EK has pitting issues :/

Those are some insane specs. Are you still using the setup in your sig?

The Komodo is so ugly and EK has pitting issues :/

Those are some insane specs. Are you still using the setup in your sig?

If I was in the market for HD7970 block I would get the Komodo or the EK block over the XSPC New Edition HD7970 block. The XSPC block works out well when modded like I have done for an odd ball HD79XX card. It's a custom water cooling solution that I have done that works well. The only reason I bought the XSPC New Edition RAZER HD7970 block was to mod it for the Vapor X HD7950. The XSPC block does have excellant gpu cooling but the stock aluminum heat sinks without water flow cook the VRMS and it turns the whole block into a worthless full cover block. I found many problems with the XSPC NEw Edition HD7970 block and Performance PCS the store that I have been shopping at for over 2 years shafted me with terrible customer service and then XSPC wouldn't help with an RMA and insisted the block was fine even though I found visible problems from metal burs on the ram areas, burs on threads and it had odd ball offset measurements that caused bowing on the left and right of main block where the added on screwed on aluminum VRM heat sinks were located. It was a mess dealing with XSPC and I hope I never have to buy any of their stuff to mod like I have done with this block.

This Vapor X HD7950 was going to go into a mini-itx rig that I am building. I still have a super fast Sapphire 950mhz Edition HD7950 that I have been using in my main rig for a long time. Right now I am just testing the Vapor X in my main RIG and it may stay there If can figure out how to over clock it better. I like how it plays and because of the huge multi phase VRM on the power the VRMs stay relatively cool.

I really enjoy gaming with the Vapor X.

Last edited:
Yea, I have the 9750 Dual-X. Friggin awesome card coming from a 4870.

Sounds like XSPC really hasn't improved that much over the past couple of years.

You have the Stainless steel plate and copper block in direct contact... Or am I seeing that wrong?
That is a recipe for insane corrosion over a 6-12mo service life, unless you're running at least 30% glycol in your cooling mixture.

You have the Stainless steel plate and copper block in direct contact... Or am I seeing that wrong?
That is a recipe for insane corrosion over a 6-12mo service life, unless you're running at least 30% glycol in your cooling mixture.

That is how the card came from the factory from XSPC.

Many blocks use stainless steel top and I have been using copper block with stainless steel tops for a few years without any problems with distilled water mixed with copper blocks and copper radiators.

I change out my water every few months, sell cards and try new cards and blocks and the stainless steel hasn't been a problem for me.

I'm having fun with the card and it runs very cool.

Here is temps under 3dMark11 load with min and max info.

VXcooled.jpg

I was just doing some research on the new 290X VApor X card, it has a beautiful PCB but it has not water cooling block support.

Love my custom water cooled Vapor X HD7950.

Back