Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 ($369-$10 MIR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I just get tired of seeing that comment on slickdeals and on [H]. Its a moot argument to make and if you make it a point to avoid taxes as much as possible you might be breaking the law (its a law that doesn't hurt anyone directly of course).

I live in Oregon, we don't have sales tax, but you don't see me crying about how much lower Washington State's income tax cost is (hint they don't have a state income tax).

Sorry, you're right guys. This deal is amazing. I love paying unnecessary taxes almost as much as I love the NSA agent skimming this post who gets paid by said taxes, so I'll just pretend it doesn't exist.

Long live Obongo.

Sorry, you're right guys. This deal is amazing. I love paying unnecessary taxes almost as much as I love the NSA agent skimming this post who gets paid by said taxes, so I'll just pretend it doesn't exist.

Long live Obongo.

HAHA!

I've been waiting for a deal on this card... IN!

Long live Obongo.

I apologize for earlier. I wasn't trying to call you out on your hatred of sales tax, moreso that I was trying to point out that taxes are collected for a reason and that the deal is a great deal. I imagine it won't be long before pretty much every online seller will be required to recover the taxes for purchases that they apply to.

I apologize for earlier. I wasn't trying to call you out on your hatred of sales tax, moreso that I was trying to point out that taxes are collected for a reason and that the deal is a great deal. I imagine it won't be long before pretty much every online seller will be required to recover the taxes for purchases that they apply to.

It's not that I have a hatred of sales tax, it's just that the deal isn't as impressive as if it were on newegg where there's no $30 sales tax tacked on in my state. Naturally, that's the one major retailer who still has this card at $400+.

If an online sales tax applied to every state then I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it.

I'm really thinking of getting this card now that amazon price matched it. How is this card? Does it run nice and quiet and cool? Is it a non reference card?

I'm really thinking of getting this card now that amazon price matched it. How is this card? Does it run nice and quiet and cool? Is it a non reference card?

Depending on what style of case you have and if you are running crossfire, you should be fine. a single 290x in a standard case should have no heat or noise issues. They do get pretty toasty (I have 290's in crossfire, blower style) and they can get pretty toasty when gaming or mining)

Funny to see people going back and forth on taxes. The whole argument is rather pointless. At the end of the day all that matters is what's the cheapest you can get it delivered to your door. Unless you just have money falling out of your ass, there is no reason to pay more than you need to.... for anything! You aren't doing anything illegal or even shady, you are making the best choice when it comes to YOUR bottom line.

If you are the kinda guy who feels like giving his money away to state or local governments, more power to you. I work for my money and don't have a ton of it, so I'm going to use any angle i can to stretch each dollar :)

There are some deals at tigerdirect, but taxes usually kill them for me. The fact I get no tax, free 2 day shipping, and usually 3% cash back on top of all that from Newegg... when you are ordering a few thousand dollars a year worth of parts that's significant.

Damn tempting! Even more tempting if you can use the $15 off 100 TD coupon, didnt see anyone mention it.

I was gonna wait for a sub $400 vapor x but this is really tempting. Does the amazon deal come with the gold reward 3 games?

I have dwood bracket and a kuhler 920, should i get Tri-X or reference and gelid vrm cooling kit.

You must hate roads and firemen and police and street lights and 911.

Sorry OP.. but this is the type of stupidity that drives me nuts. Every time someone gripes about massive taxation someone trots out the firefighters.. police.. teachers.. roads etc.. boilerplate. You forgot the children.. what about the children!!?? If you hate being taxed too much you must hate children too!! Heartless bastage!

Point is we are paying more in taxes every year and getting less in return. And of course the only cure is more taxes...

abducted_bunny.jpg

or the bunny dies. :rolleyes:

You think taxes will stay constant forever? Wages go up, so do taxes.

I wish the straw-man reply were not so predictable.... What I said was that taxes keep going up and we are getting less in return.

I'd be happy to have this conversation. Care to try again.. perhaps in another thread so we don't crap this one any further?

Sure, how about we take it to the 'Physics Processing' sub forum? It's been dead for years :)

Let's see, $370 for this 4GB GPU from amazon and free shipping or the 780 3GB for $520 plus tax plus shipping from the egg? Decisions, decisions!

Sorry OP.. but this is the type of stupidity that drives me nuts. Every time someone gripes about massive taxation someone trots out the firefighters.. police.. teachers.. roads etc.. boilerplate. You forgot the children.. what about the children!!?? If you hate being taxed too much you must hate children too!! Heartless bastage!

Point is we are paying more in taxes every year and getting less in return. And of course the only cure is more taxes...

abducted_bunny.jpg

or the bunny dies. :rolleyes:

Amen brother. Never thought I'd see the day where people were bitching they don't pay enough taxes.

Anyways, back on topic, that's a great deal from amazon. I bought one of these cards for $499 like a month ago, but sent it back unopened. Glad I sent it back before the prices plummeted.

Let's see, $370 for this 4GB GPU from amazon and free shipping or the 780 3GB for $520 plus tax plus shipping from the egg? Decisions, decisions!

To be fair the ATI cards only recently plummeted to reasonable prices thanks to the scrypt mining ASIC. Nvidia is just lagging behind. I imagine the 780 will be a lot cheaper soon.

It is pretty despicable how one of the top 3 searches for GPU benchmarks has the 770 and the R9 290 at the same performance, though. Goddamn nvidia shills.

Excuse my naivité, but will can you unlock the shaders on this model?

Ha... So has the ratio of average gross income to cost of goods increased in proportion to the ratio of taxation to average gross income?

In regard to the thread topic, my Tri-x OC shipped yesterday... can't wait to check it out!

Ha... So has the ratio of average gross income to cost of goods increased in proportion to the ratio of taxation to average gross income?

In regard to the thread topic, my Tri-x OC shipped yesterday... can't wait to check it out!

Same, first thing I plan to do is boot up Witcher 2 in uber mode and see what it looks like. I only manage about 15 FPS on my 260 GTX.

Hopefully the game isn't too Nvidia-tailored.

You'll be pleasantly surprised. The 7970 that this Tri-X is going to replace can run Witcher 2 @ max and hold 60fps in most scenes, so I'm sure you'll be very happy with what the 290 can do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back