Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 ($369-$10 MIR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not have use tax in your state if you buy it from a non-taxed retailer?

Do you actually report use tax? Since no online retailer I know generate automated used tax reports. It will be a lot of work to actually report that. Also, since there's no case of consumers prosecuted for evading use tax....

This has also been going on forever even before the internet age. I used to live in Massachusetts, which is nearby New Hampshire, where there's no sales tax. According to law, MA residents must still declare use tax if they just cross the state border and buy stuff from NH. However, no one i know does that and in fact NH has encouraged MA residents to cross state border and buy stuff "Tax Exempt" by building all these strip malls right on the state border.

Finally pricing reflecting the card quality, performance, thermal, and software ecosystem now that the coin mining has died down again for awhile... I wouldn't go for it for lack of shadowplay alone (the low 3% performance hit on recording is just incredible as a non-pro but competitive player), and driver lackings (14.x series has been reportedly horrifically unstable) personally. Also like txaa/physx/etc. in the games that do support it too much to give it up... but if you want a barebones gaming card this thing has the goods at a hell of a price.

EDIT: Deal looks dead now anyway.

To be fair the ATI cards only recently plummeted to reasonable prices thanks to the scrypt mining ASIC. Nvidia is just lagging behind. I imagine the 780 will be a lot cheaper soon.

It is pretty despicable how one of the top 3 searches for GPU benchmarks has the 770 and the R9 290 at the same performance, though. Goddamn nvidia shills.

290 considering throttling isn't that far off... and the lack of features is inexcusable... all this does is run games and not even with all the goods.

4GB vs. 3GB is irrelevant even at 4k resolutions with normal settings (i.e. not 8x MSAA at 4k which you literally can't even see at that resolution/PPI), so I don't know why that's even being brought up here.

While the R9 290 isn't as slow as a 770, it certainly isn't worth the same as a GTX 780 by a long shot either. They sure aren't discounting them this much because they're flying off the shelves ;).

290 considering throttling isn't that far off... and the lack of features is inexcusable... all this does is run games and not even with all the goods.

4GB vs. 3GB is irrelevant even at 4k resolutions with normal settings (i.e. not 8x MSAA at 4k which you literally can't even see at that resolution/PPI), so I don't know why that's even being brought up here.

While the R9 290 isn't as slow as a 770, it certainly isn't worth the same as a GTX 780 by a long shot either. They sure aren't discounting them this much because they're flying off the shelves ;).

Even if the card is a giant turd I still don't want to support those jewbags at nvidia: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...d-potentially-the-entire-pc-gaming-ecosystem/

Also it finally came in this morning. Took about an hour of trying to jam it in, ended up having to dismantle my HD bay to fit it. Now I'm too tired to actually test it out.

Even if the card is a giant turd I still don't want to support those XXXXXXXXXX at nvidia: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...d-potentially-the-entire-pc-gaming-ecosystem/

Also it finally came in this morning. Took about an hour of trying to jam it in, ended up having to dismantle my HD bay to fit it. Now I'm too tired to actually test it out.

Even I will say that forbes article is a load of horse shit, but come on man, RACISM/religious slurs to whine about video card wars?

Bump.
The sale is popping up and down on Newegg.

Here's the product page:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080

3BbCO3H.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back