Sapphire RMA - Thanks for Nothing

Alright...I got it back today and it seems to work ok. No lockups or artifacts. Ran a couple loops of Valley Benchmark just to try it out.

Now to see if I want to keep this card or the 760 GTX...hmm.

RMAed my 7950 last year, didn't have a problem with it, I thought I did a few weeks ago and RMAed it again, waiting for replacement but im not worried about it.

That's it. Between the high number of coil whine reports and this, I will never buy Sapphire.

I don't blame you. I have several others that I never had a problem with, but the one time I tried to get mine fixed, no luck with RMA at all.

This makes me appreciate EVGA all that much more. In terms of AMD AIB's, who's the best these days? I've heard very few good things about sapphire and very many bad things. Seems like XFX might be the best one, although I don't think they're as good as EVGA.

Powercolor is known to have excellent RMA service. I had a recent good turnaround on my 290x RMA. Took less than 2 weeks I had a good card on my doorstep.

Sorry for a complete thread necro, but I found my 2nd bad RMA'd card that I never sent in and decided to see if I could get it working on my own because I needed a card for my old Q6700 build.

First thing I did was take the HSF off. I noticed that the screws had slight stripping as if they had been removed before. When I got the HSF off, I observed, the whole socket was caked in TIM. I can't imagine it came that way from the factory, so essentially Sapphire sent me some shmuck's half-assed mining project card as a replacement. I cleaned it up. Put a reasonable amount of TIM on the GPU and replaced the HSF. Sure enough, it seems to be working fine now. Go figure.

they say ignorance is bliss but it's not when it comes to buying an expensive GPU

BUY EVGA

they will:

- cross ship
- give tech phone support 24/7 except holidays
- you can reach a real human on the phone usually within 5 minutes after dialing
- warranty follows the item, not the buyer

and yet, in order to save a few dollars, folks keep buying other brands then come here and whine about how screwed up other brands are about their warranties. So many whines, so little time ...

they say ignorance is bliss but it's not when it comes to buying an expensive GPU

BUY EVGA

EVGA doesnt make AMD cards :p. The 7950 was a pretty good card in its day compared to Nvidia.

Reactions: _l_
like this
That's right but right now, nVidia rules and EVGA doesn't make/sell Ryzen motherboards either

My original post is 3 years old haha. I just dug up the card and got it working on my own and figured I'd post in the original thread.

Generally I would agree that EVGA is worth a couple extra bucks. Although this was the only time I've ever had to RMA a video card.

XFX is the go-to for AMD custom cards. I've heard their warranty service is very good. I've pretty much stuck to ASUS for both AMD and nVidia cards so my post is heresay only.

XFX is the go-to for AMD custom cards. I've heard their warranty service is very good. I've pretty much stuck to ASUS for both AMD and nVidia cards so my post is heresay only.

XFX has had its ups and downs, my 7950 DD was garbage, my 290 DD was much better, and everything that they're putting out now looks even better... EVGA isn't the end all be all either, I had an issue with my 660Ti, but thankfully even with the bad VRAM cooling my FTW has been the best card I have owned.

Back