Sapphire Liquid Metal "Blizzard" Demo PC

Sheldog23

Limp Gawd
This is a case I created for Sapphire to showcase their new "Liquid Metal" cooled X850XT.

They only gave me two weeks to do this to get it ready for E3 so the design is really simple.
The design was to match the Liquid metal "theme" when the PC is off. As you can see when the PC is off it looks more like a chromed metal cube than a Plexiglass case.
It also Matches the Blizzard guy too.

Then when it powers up and the lights come on the look becomes the colder "Blizzard theme".
Two themes in one case you could say.

The New Card will be added at E3 for now there is a X800XL 512mb inside it.

sapphire%20%2843%29.JPG

I was back and forth with the handle. Did I want it or not?
Eventually I gave way to the reality. For now they needed to open the lid every time the wanted to start it up because the "Pure" mobo is still just a prototype. So it was really Needed.

sapphire%20%2844%29.JPG

A newer board should be installed soon and they can hook up those
nifty Bulgan switches. They light up blue and the bottom one flashes to HD Activity
sapphire%20%2845%29.JPG

Here is a view of the back I/O ports. I added a little warning that say not to pic the PC up by the Lid.
I think it would do OK for a while, but over time might begin to crack.

sapphire%20%2846%29.JPG

and here you see it powered up
sapphire%20%2847%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2848%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2849%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2850%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2851%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2852%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2853%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2854%29.JPG

When they put the new mobo in they will hook up these bulgan switches. They light up blue and the bottom one will flash to HD activity
sapphire%20%2855%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2823%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2856%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2857%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2858%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2859%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2861%29.JPG

sapphire%20%2862%29.JPG

Sapphire should be sending me pics of the Blizzard card installed inside the PC from E3.
I will post them up as soon as I get them.

if you would like to read the worklog you can see that here...

The Plexi is 1/4" two-way mirror security Plex. I got it from a local Regal Plastics Distributer.
Its some pretty crazy stuff. I have some left over that I am going to try and use with other projects.

will you be my friend? ;)

soooooo cool.. with the mirrorred partial / full transparency and logos behind that... wow!!

so the card us supposed to be cooled with some metallic liquid ? like a heat pipe or an H2O setup with this stuff in the lines?

Yeah, I don't know much about it.

But apparently its moved around with little magnets through tubes somehow. I am really interested in seeing how this is done and how it cools.

Hopefully tonight a friend of mine who is at E3 will send me some pics of the card. Thats if he isn't having too much fun.

right on! I am very curious also. wow... magnets. what a concept. :) I was at the GDC and didn't really see much in the way of cool stuff like this... *sigh* I should have gone to E3... but it also nice to view the chaos from the comfort and safety of your desk chair. ;)

awesome... here's a link to with info on nano coolers liquid metal cooling... :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/?3105

it does appear to be a heat-pipe of sorts...

EDIT: and uses an "evaporator" like a fridge, but has no compressor, so I guess the metallic compound sheds heat (exothermic?) on it's own... huh...

Sheldog23 said:
The Plexi is 1/4" two-way mirror security Plex. I got it from a local Regal Plastics Distributer.
Its some pretty crazy stuff. I have some left over that I am going to try and use with other projects.

lol THICK! but i would assume thats the smallest size they carry to since its "security" glass. expensive?

revenant said:
awesome... here's a link to with info on nano coolers liquid metal cooling... :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/?3105

it does appear to be a heat-pipe of sorts...

EDIT: and uses an "evaporator" like a fridge, but has no compressor, so I guess the metallic compound sheds heat (exothermic?) on it's own... huh...

dang...when can modders start buying that?

crazyman_130 said:
lol THICK! but i would assume thats the smallest size they carry to since its "security" glass. expensive?

It is thick but keep in mind the body is the frame. So you don't want it to thin or it will be wobbly. A 4x8 sheet of it cost about $300.00 :eek: . Good thing I still have almost a half a sheet leftover.

A friend of mine sent me this from E3. Thought you might get a kick out of it.
DSCF0036.jpg

HRslammR said:
yah looks good... liquid metal?

ja!

"I suspect their using an alloy of gallium. 85% Gallium plus 15% tin reduces the melting point to around 20 degrees celcius (from 30 degrees celcius for gallium.). 95% gallium,5% zinc has a melting point of 25 degrees. May be there are other additives I haven't thought of.
It's likely to be expensive with gallium around $220 US dollar/100grams (correct me if I'm wrong). I am also aware of research into gallium as a coolant."

from the URL I posted... I have a feeling these coolers will not be cheap to get... prolly $100 to $200 is my WAG (wild ass guess)... but looking forward to a 6800 version of one... muahahahah. ;)

Sheldog23 said:
A friend of mine sent me this from E3. Thought you might get a kick out of it.

Mmmmmmm.... booth babes... :) :)

*ahem* yeah, your case looks great also. could those reflections be /ANY/ better?!??!? Hahha... w00t! must be fun to get photos like that. :)

revenant said:
Mmmmmmm.... booth babes... :) :)

*ahem* yeah, your case looks great also. could those reflections be /ANY/ better?!??!? Hahha... w00t! must be fun to get photos like that. :)
Yes, the case is very er... Boobtastic, um ah, I mean fantastic... yeah that's it!

Wow, those models, look really old and loose.

Anyways, thats a very nice looking mod you've made. Very creative, I never would have thought to use 2 way plexiglass. Expensive yet sexy, was it worth it and the publicity your receiving?

KrakenGuy said:
Wow, those models, look really old and loose.

Anyways, thats a very nice looking mod you've made. Very creative, I never would have thought to use 2 way plexiglass. Expensive yet sexy, was it worth it and the publicity your receiving?

I think so. So far Sapphire is really happy with the response. Which means the odds are good they would ask for another. :cool:

Thats some pretty cool info about the gallium. I never heard of liquid metal cooling until this whole thing came about.

Here are some pics of the actual card. Also pretty cool.
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=132&page=2

Now that is a [H]awt and [H]ard mod... great job man!

- Fold [H]ard - - Or go [H]ome -

I want want of those.

Definately.

Could make a nice home for it next to my bed.

The boothbabes, that is. Couldn't give a damn about the card ATM :D

I like the cooler... the T1000 of HSFs... "Da T1000 is moa advanced dan me, it's composition is liquid metal".. lol

^^^^^ LOL! Rev....

Hehehe

Didn't Shel do a bang up job!
HELL YEAH!!!
And his baby UT box is on the Corsair site!

Yo... keep Shel in sight... he's on his way up in the modder realm!
:p

Good lookin chitt there bro...
;)

Back