Sapphire HD7970

This is like the batmobile of video cards!(Adam West's) Only question now ....will it run arkham city ? lol jk i know it will! :cool:

Am I the only one who liked the flat faced brick design? I thought the 6970 looked great, and practical too - so easy to butt ducting up against. Also, no more backplate. :(

no because they are a bitch in crossfire since the bottom card in some setups sits perfectly flush to the top card. the way its designed now it shouldn't have as much of an issue in crossfire as it did with the 6970's.

HD7970 at 1920x1080 and clocks 1125/1575.
lpsettings.jpg

TESTA
lptest1.jpg

TESTB
lptest2.jpg

no because they are a bitch in crossfire since the bottom card in some setups sits perfectly flush to the top card. the way its designed now it shouldn't have as much of an issue in crossfire as it did with the 6970's.

Depends on the mobo, my p55 has good spacing and so does my z68, i woudln't buy a mobo where you couldn't slide a credit card between the cards.

Happy new Year.

The first three runs with card at defaults and then at 1125/1575

crysis2all.jpg

Grats! I will buy 4 of these cards when they are 375 a piece and not a moment sooner. Also lets see what that can do @ 5760x1200 if you have that ability.

Grats! I will buy 4 of these cards when they are 375 a piece and not a moment sooner. Also lets see what that can do @ 5760x1200 if you have that ability.

Later I will post some benches at 5760x1080.

I'm thinking 2 7970's in Crossfire would the be ideal setup with 2560x1600. Very few things should drop below 60fps maxed everything + a little AA. Metro 2033 might be a different bet but it runs like shit on everything it seems.

My new card is here. :D

AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-970 Processor ,ASUSTeK Computer INC. Rampage III Extreme score: P9088 3DMarks

"None the less, 1125 MHz on the core and 6300 MHz on the memory without any voltage tweaking has to be a new milestone all by itself. The advantage without added voltage is that the temperatures do not change that much, the noise levels remain okay and the power draw really isn't bad either."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-overclock-guide/18

Yes It's True.

Does the mismatched monitor connection tearing still occur in eyefinity like it did on Cayman? Please see my thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662914

Last edited:
I think this driver http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst121Previewdriver.aspx solved this problem.

Tomorrow I will play with Asus bios that unlock core voltage.

I'm using that driver on my cards and it definitely didn't fix the issue. I'm convinced it's a hardware issue after extensive research.

If you can, can you make a video of you grabbing a window e.g gpu-z and dragging it up and down on each of your 3 displays. From that video I'll be able to tell if the tearing is still there. It happens if you use mix matched connections for your monitors. E.G. 1 HDMI 1 Mini DP and 1 DVI or any combination that is not the same on all 3 which basically is any possible configuration on a 7970 as there are not 3 display ports and those hubs are still not available. I know I'm asking for quite a bit, but not only would I appreciate it, I'm sure the community would find the information very useful as you can tell if you visit my thread and see the people who are also concerned/wondering the same thing.

I'm thinking 2 7970's in Crossfire would the be ideal setup with 2560x1600. Very few things should drop below 60fps maxed everything + a little AA. Metro 2033 might be a different bet but it runs like shit on everything it seems.

Nope my two 6990's Metro 2033 is like buttery smooth. Witcher2 with Uber that is another beast. I dont think that IBM has a super computer capable of witcher 2 Uber at more than 40fps.

Nope my two 6990's Metro 2033 is like buttery smooth. Witcher2 with Uber that is another beast. I dont think that IBM has a super computer capable of witcher 2 Uber at more than 40fps.

For Metro, it runs smooth even if you turn depth of field on?

that's some nice results zpaf, I see you have a i7 970.

I wonder if I get 1 or 2 7970 and overclock my amd x4 to ~4ghz if it becomes bottleneck for 1 or 2 7970?

that's some nice results zpaf, I see you have a i7 970.

I wonder if I get 1 or 2 7970 and overclock my amd x4 to ~4ghz if it becomes bottleneck for 1 or 2 7970?

It depend of what games you play and of course your resolution.
Some games are cpu bound other are gpu bound.
Your rig I see 5760x1080 so you have less possibility to bottleneck.
I had HD6970CF and played BF3 with i7-970 at defaults with no problems but with MW3 (a cpu bound game) I had to o/c my cpu to 3.8GHz for having > 95% gpu load.
All these things on eyefinity 3240x1920.
I think its better to buy one card see the behavior and then decide for the second.

OP, do you notice any screen tearing on your eyefinity setup? A lot of people have complained about it citing different output combination on the same card (2 HDMI + 1 DVI, etc).

It depend of what games you play and of course your resolution.
Some games are cpu bound other are gpu bound.
Your rig I see 5760x1080 so you have less possibility to bottleneck.
I had HD6970CF and played BF3 with i7-970 at defaults with no problems but with MW3 (a cpu bound game) I had to o/c my cpu to 3.8GHz for having > 95% gpu load.
All these things on eyefinity 3240x1920.
I think its better to buy one card see the behavior and then decide for the second.

Thank you, Did the card come with necesary accesorier to run eyefinity on 3 DVI displays?

My 2365wb only have DVI + VGA :(
I currently run Displayport to VGA adapter for eyefinity so left display is VGA.

Thank you, Did the card come with necesary accesorier to run eyefinity on 3 DVI displays?

My 2365wb only have DVI + VGA :(
I currently run Displayport to VGA adapter for eyefinity so left display is VGA.

The card comes with minidp to dp , minidp to dvi and hdmi to dvi.
So you can use second and third adaptor and one spare dvi to dvi.

Sapphire flashed with asus bios and with gpu tweak the limits gone. :D

asus2u.jpg

how easy was it to overclock to 1203/1900? did you have to increase voltage at all? how are your temps?

how easy was it to overclock to 1203/1900? did you have to increase voltage at all? how are your temps?
Its not easy at all.
You have to increase core voltage at 1.25 and memory voltage to 1.75 and of course the fan.
Yeap the more voltage does not deserve the performance gain.
With default voltage you can go 1125/1575 with fan control at auto.

Back