Sapphire HD7850 HDMI -> Receiver -> Random Audio Drops

edgeh2o

Limp Gawd
My HTPC computer is listed in my sig, everything is the exact same except I now have a 256GB Crucial m4 and Sapphire Readon HD7850.

With my Radeon HD5770, my HDMI -> Onkyo TX-SR707 played audio perfectly, never dropping out. But with the 7850, out of every Youtube clip I played, the audio dropped out for about a second, and then it comes back.

I was wondering if it was a problem with Firefox/Youtube/HTML5, so I played a song on loop in iTunes, and about every 5 minutes, the audio drops out for a second :(

I did a fresh installed of Windows 7 x64, and installed all my usual drivers/software/updates. At first I couldn't get the 7850 to play any audio with the AMD drivers by themselves, so I had to download my VIA Audio Driver for my ASUS P7P55D motherboard, and then the audio worked and showed up as AMD High Definition Audio Device. With the 5770 though, I don't think I ever had to download the VIA Audio Driver to get HDMI audio.

Any ideas what's going on?

I was using Catalyst 12.4 BTW, just tried 12.3, audio still cuts out for a second every so often.

Although I was able to uninstall VIA and still get audio to work, work in the sense that I get audio but it still cuts out every so often :/

Plugged the 5770 back in, and works perfectly with no audio drops. So does this mean the 7850 is defective? Should I even try another 7850?

I brought my office PC in the living room (Intel C2D E6600, Gigabyte P35-DSL3, 8GB DDR2, Intel X25-M 80GB) and tried the 7850 in there, same problem. In every application that plays sound, eventually (could be 2 mins or 10 mins) the audio will cut out for a second and then come back.

I just tried a brand new HDMI 1.4 cable, and a different input on my Onkyo TX-SR707, and the new Catalyst 12.6 beta drivers - same problem, audio cut out for a second within the first minute of playing a song

The only thing I haven't tried is hooking the HDMI from the 7850 straight to my TV, outputting the sound through my TV speakers. This is what I'm going to do right now, and I will report back soon.

edit: 3 songs in and no cutting out/skipping when connected straight to my TV... why would it be my Onkyo?

Last edited:
Sometimes the ASICs in older equipment doesnt work well with modern HDMI.

try extracting the audio driver from the older packages and try them

The thing is, all the newest drivers work with my old Radeon HD5770 card.

The oldest driver I've tried with my 7850 was Cat 12.3. How far back do you think I should try going?

Just tried my 7850 hooked up to mine (just a Sony soundbar type setup) and had no issues with sound. I'm running the 12.6 betas FWIW.

Also, I run an Xfi card so I don't have the drivers for my onboard sound installed or anything. I just plugged my 7850 into my receiver and everything worked right away.

op is using the hdmi audio, not a soundcard.

yeah, try the 12.6 beta; there was a bunch of hdmi fixes in there.

I used the hdmi audio as well when I hooked mine up. I just stated I was using a soundcard because the OP said he had to install his mobo audio drivers to get his hdmi audio to work, which I don't have installed and didn't need to install for hdmi audio to work.

Hi All,
same video card, same problem. As soon as possible i'll try to format and reinstall from zero Win7 ultimate 64bit to be sure that the only driver is the Catalyst.
Here my list of HW:
iCore 5, 8GB RAM, Sapphire HD7850 connected to a Denon 1909.
When I play games (Diablo III for example) no problem, but with music (Foobar2000) or video (VLC, ZoomPlayer, Divx Plus) each 3-4 minutes, i hear the audio drop for 1 sec each 3-4 minutes, the audio drop for 1 sec :mad:
Any suggestion is very very appreciated...

My 7850 is hooked into a Denon Receiver. Have not noticed any audio drops to date, but I honestly have not been on my HTPC very much lately. Although I did watch a MKV (Puss N Boots with the kids) this weekend and did not notice any drops at the time. I'll try to pay more attention next time I am on it. Think I am running 12.4 drivers.

Hi Jhatfie,
you're my hope, because if with your config work well, it's only a question of clean install or something like this.

Just an update and a recap-

Recap:
I've tried every Catalyst driver from 12.1 to 12.6

I tried the Realtek ATI HDMI audio driver

Tried reformatting/reinstalling drivers

Different HDMI cables(HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4), different HDMI inputs

Problem with the 7850 is present on 2 different computers

HDMI audio works perfect when hooked up to my Samsung LCD, but the audio drop occurs on the Onkyo TX-SR707

My HD5770 works perfect in both computers when hooked up through HDMI via my Onkyo TX-SR707

The problem is ONLY between my 7850 and my Onkyo TX-SR707.

Update:
Just had a replacement 7850 delivered, and I confirmed the problem is still identically present on both computers only when hooked up to the Onkyo

I just ordered a Denon AVR2312CI, hopefully this will solve my problem. I'm not sure if the problem can be solved by a driver update in the future... it seems like the problem is that certain older receivers just don't play well with the newer HDMI video cards. I have no idea why- maybe something to do with the older receivers being HDMI 1.3?

Anyways, I will update again when my Denon arrives. I realize the 2312 isn't a big step up from the Onkyo707, although some people going from Onkyo to comparable Denon models do report an increase in SQ dynamics and clarity. I am mostly looking forward to MultiEQ XT, a small increase in power, 3D compatibility, and audio return channel so I can play audio through the receiver when using my TV's HDTV tuner. And above all, the elimination of my HDMI audio issue. Now to find a 55" 3D TV...

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread...

Is the Onkyo's firmware up to date?

Did you also make the HDMI audio the default speaker setup within windows and make sure it will pass all the audio codecs, DTS, DD, etc...

I had a audio issue when I connected a dell laptop, which ran a 4000 series AMD graphics card, I had to wait for the receiver and tv to turn on before I could plug in the the HDMI cable
into the laptop.

My reciever is a Yamaha 3900.

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread...

Is the Onkyo's firmware up to date?

Did you also make the HDMI audio the default speaker setup within windows and make sure it will pass all the audio codecs, DTS, DD, etc...

I had a audio issue when I connected a dell laptop, which ran a 4000 series AMD graphics card, I had to wait for the receiver and tv to turn on before I could plug in the the HDMI cable
into the laptop.

My reciever is a Yamaha 3900.

From Onkyo's website: There are no Firmware Updates for this model.

Yes. 2 computers work perfectly when a 5770 is installed, as does my laptop (Intel HD3000).

Well, the problem persists with the Denon 2312 I just received. So...

edit: Only if I select a Dynamic Volume setting does the problem appear on the Denon. If it starts cutting out, and turn off/on the receiver, then it plays fine until I change the Dynamic Volume settings again. Wtf?

Last edited:
OK---------

All this time, on the Onkyo, I have had my Amd CCC display settings set as Basic 1360x768. Aside from the Basic selections are HDTV resolutions 720p and 1080i for me. I chose 720p and for 2 hours the Onkyo didn't skip!! I changed back to Basic and the audio starter cutting out. Ah-ha!!!!

But... Text doesn't look good under the HDTV 720p setting since the resolution is 12whatever x 720 and my lcd's native resolution is 1360x768. So how do I make that my resolution under the HDTV group rather than choosing it under the Basic group?

Back