Sapphire HD 5870 $215 AR + FS

Nice price, they are obviously trying to blow out stock to make room for the 69xx's.

Any idea what the 69xxs will sell for?
Not $215.
There's only guessing on the price and performance. Can't really use any of it to judge whether buying this 5870 is a good idea or not.

I suggest you think long and hard about what you want to do. ;)

Not $215.
There's only guessing on the price and performance. Can't really use any of it to judge whether buying this 5870 is a good idea or not.

I suggest you think long and hard about what you want to do. ;)

At that price it's not a bad idea. I can guarantee that you won't regret it.

Technology is funny. 2-3 months ago this would have been the most blazing hot scorching amazing pass out deal out of stock deal ever!!! :p

Looks like a good deal but, when you go from a X-fire setup to a single card like me, this is a luke-warm deal as you could lose some performance...

If you are in it coming from an older card, I say jump on it!

Yeah 215 for this card is a steal, even if 6970 is 1.5x the performance at 349-399 ish this card should be a great bang for the buck. I grabbed one, thanks op :)

This deal seems to come by about every month to two months on this card. I've been trying to hold off waiting to see what the holiday sales are going to be... but damn, it is so tempting. I need to upgrade from my 9800gt badly!

This deal seems to come by about every month to two months on this card. I've been trying to hold off waiting to see what the holiday sales are going to be... but damn, it is so tempting. I need to upgrade from my 9800gt badly!

:confused: You couldn't even find a 5850 at that price a month ago.

its been $215 before? i def missed that! i thought my 5850 @ $195 was a good deal, but i think i might return it and get one of these. i wasnt too impressed with the OC headroom on my vapor-x card.

Over the past two months, this has been discounted like this 3 or 4 times (rebate+code+instant). I've been watching it on the Egg daily as well as my amazon shopping cart. I'm constantly debating between this and the newer 6850. What makes this deal more special is the $20.00 Instant. It usually is only $10.00 Instant. So this is defiantly the best deal yet on this card. I have been curious why this particular model is always cheaper then the competitors of the same model.

Some Newegg reviews are saying there's not much OC headroom on this 5870 either. I got the Sapphire 5850 at $195 a month ago, and its fan sometimes rattles like crazy. I'm definitely looking to change it out for something better.

Some Newegg reviews are saying there's not much OC headroom on this 5870 either. I got the Sapphire 5850 at $195 a month ago, and its fan sometimes rattles like crazy. I'm definitely looking to change it out for something better.

i havent had any fan problems (yet), but yeah i figured id rather have a vapor-x card to get the maximum performance out of whatever tier of card i bought, but that doesnt seem to make too much difference. and the oc clock is only 20 mhz higher than stock.

Does anyone actually OWN this 5870 card?
And can comment on the quality?

I agree with the others, this specific 5870 has been on sale many times, it seems weird.
I trust Sapphire and their cooling designs though. My 4870 looks like the little brother of that 5870 and I have no complaints about it.

did ATI ever fix the gameplay jitter-stutters with this video card? I've seen many games exhibit this in youtube videos demonstrating gameplay. It seems to happen a lot during motion in the games like GTA4, etc...

I did have a 4870 1gb, but gave it to my lil brother and using a 9800GT now. Tempted to get this, but something keeps telling me to wait. :(

sheeeeeit, so hard to decide. I was dead set on 69 series but my 4890 card is dying and I don't wanna be without one for wow cata release shortly. I wonder if these will really get that much cheaper.

after reading the reviews on this 5870 it doesn't OC very well at all.

But the 5850 seems to OC....

after reading the reviews on this 5870 it doesn't OC very well at all.

But the 5850 seems to OC....

because its a downclocked 5870 with some shaders disabled. to me it would not be worth the 35 bucks for.

So basically either get the 5850 and try to OC it to 900+, or grab this for $35 but don't expect to OC it much correct?

Just trying to make a decision.

So basically either get the 5850 and try to OC it to 900+, or grab this for $35 but don't expect to OC it much correct?

Just trying to make a decision.

well it will oc, just not as much as a deliberately underclocked card will. but mhz to mhz the 5870 will be faster.

Just a $35 decision I guess. Still think if I can oc the 5850 to near the 5870 I'd go with that.

Anyway I'm done pestering people =) thanks for the input.

K couldn't take it anymore,I haven't seen any hot BF deals on video cards so far. This is the best I've seen and works for me since I really need a card now.

Just a $35 decision I guess. Still think if I can oc the 5850 to near the 5870 I'd go with that.

Anyway I'm done pestering people =) thanks for the input.

Original reference 5850s can usually hit 900+ since you can adjust the voltage. The reason a lot of these newer 5850s don't OC so well is because of non-reference designs that don't allow for voltage tweaking. I'd definitely take a 5870 over a non-reference 5850.

In for one. Thanks OP. 6850/6870 are just rediculously expensive. Tired of waiting for the 69xx. If the price and availability of the 68xx are an indication we will see the 69xx coming in at the $300 range and quickly going above MSRP. sigh...

Also picked up a MSI N470GTX the other day for the same price. Now I need to decide which card to keep. From this review it looks like the 470 is a bit ahead in some games BUT runs a lot hotter. I have a small Lian Li PCA05B (1st rev) which I have now upgraded with 2x 12cm fans on top as blowholes so I'm hoping heat will not be an issue. If not I'll stick with the 5870. I do use the Adobe suite so Nvidia's acceleration of those apps plus Physix might give the GTX470 an advantage. Not sure which card will OC better and to what level. I only use 1920x1080 so I'm guessing either card will be fine at that resolution.

Can't decide if I should get this or a 6870 for roughly $50 more. I know the 6870 has improved tessellation but I'm not sure if the 5870's will still beat it. I also don't know if I should just wait for Cyber Monday, but there is no guarantee that there will be anything that beats this deal.

Personally, I would hold off. 69xx is just around the corner at this point and it looks like resellers are slashing prices to move their remaining 58xx stock. Personally I prefer to get in at the beginning of a cycle rather than at the end but I suppose to each their own. Feels like just a month or two ago you would have been lucky to pick up a 5850 at this price. This is a pretty good deal no matter what your preferences are.

well, heck, even I'm tempted. think I'd see a nice bump from my 8800 GTS?

I'm in the same boat man. I might bite on this deal because the 8800GTS is starting to show it's age with some of the more recent games out right now.

Back