Sapphire Announces New 16GB AMD Radeon RX570 Video Card for GPU MIning

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Sapphire has created a new 16GB variant of the AMD Radeon RX570 video card that is specifically designed for GPU Mining. Sapphire Technology Vice President of Global Marketing, Adrian Thompson has written a blog post that details how new cryptocurrency like GRIN will require GPUs with 16GB frame buffers for maximum efficiency. Since affordable 16GB GPUs are hard to find on the market, Sapphire designed one! Sapphire has taken the initiative to obtain a port of the CUDA miner that GRIN uses. Sapphire suggests that miners should move fast to jump into GRIN as the company predicts a return of profitability for miners. Hopefully miners will stick to this cheap Radeon RX570 variant and leave the upcoming 16GB Radeon VII alone. Pricing and availability has not been announced yet.

While most mid/high-end GPUs have at least 8GB of memory, very few have more than 12GB, and 16GB will be required to mine using the 2020 variant of Grin Mean AF Cuckatoo algorithm. A GPU with a 16GB frame buffer could conceivably mine both the GPU friendly and ASIC friendly algorithms for more than 2 years whereas others are limited to just the GPU friendly Cockaroo after the first year. The money printing machine.

Wat?
QD4Pl8o.gif

I've pretty much ignored the whole crypto coin mining boom and bust over the past few years. With the exception of last year where I sold my RX480 for $100 more than I paid for it. :p
But what ever happened to the ASICs mining revolution that was suppose to take over and sideline video cards?

I've pretty much ignored the whole crypto coin mining boom and bust over the past few years. With the exception of last year where I sold my RX480 for $100 more than I paid for it. :p
But what ever happened to the ASICs mining revolution that was suppose to take over and sideline video cards?
A new algorithm comes out regularly with the promise of being ASIC resistant. ETH was the one that was supposed put an and to ASIC mining, and it was entertaining watching the flailing of people when news of the first ETH ASIC came out.

ahh you mean capital gains?

Not interested in crypto mining, but would this card be able to work for accelerating video editing tasks? 16 GB RAM is nice for that, but could you utilize a non-primary display card for that?

Pretty sure this is going to capitalise on Vega VII having 16GB of VRAM...

If this catches on, we're in another shit storm. :/

That was pretty much said and done a long while ago. There's a lot of backstory to unpack. In short:

Bitcoin's algo was simple enough, and existed in isolation for long enough, and market interest grew steadily enough that ASIC hardware was justified. This split the growing group of miners into two groups; hobbyists (who used their home PCs) and businesses (who were comfortable investing in custom hardware). Not to be undone, the hobbyists started leveraging the growing hype of cryptocurrencies to start their own coins and algos to attract the steadily growing "hobbyist" group. This worked since most hobbyists are the "early adopter" types, hoping the coins grow from nothing (when it's easy to mine) into something with serious market interest. Effectively: gullible people banking on the lottery with meaningless coins as tickets. Perhaps an effort to lift their heavy hearts after losing their 2009 bitcoin wallet.

These newer coin algos are designed to target a particular type of complex hardware (often GPU) and require much more memory and memory bandwidth to process effectively, minimizing the cost effectiveness of implementing an appropriate ASIC to do the job. Additionally, newer coins can change their algorithm over time, further reducing the feasibility of ASICs. However, the older coin algos still work on ASICs, but even the best ASICs are only profitable when power is insanely cheap or free, so the most successful operations have gone underground either as hobbyists stealing power, or businesses making deals with local power plants to absorb overflow during transition times to off-peak hours, and make the power plant appear more efficient.

Back on topic, GPU mining is still very active. Ignoring that ridiculous spike across 2017-2018 which a few people got rich from, and a lot of people lost their shirt from, the value is still volatile enough for plenty of mining and trading.

They probably developed this a while back and something delayed production. Now they are just looking to offload parts. Then again mining isn't what it was, but it isn't over.

Uhhh why?
This crypto revival shit seems to be good for only two groups right now: AMD/NVIDIA and the three big memory companies.

It sure as hell makes no sense for GPU miners.

Other than AMD (fortunately) all of the others stock prices are down like, well crypto values.

And until the memory triad can work out a new disaster they need to sell some of that overpriced crap before real supply and demand kick 'em in the groin.

This whole f'd up thing is probably just Jensen Huang trying to get out from under a lot of shareholder lawsuits and Micron wanting to quit getting teabagged.

/tinfoil hat back on rack

alot of the newer cryptos that are based on solving issues moved away from gpu mining ... and instead do proof of work or some other method. these ones will make it since they are cost effective and not just crappy "usd sucks, so lets make a coin and then swap it out with usd when we need it coin that is super inefficient".

xrp/ripple, singularity AI, zilliqa, icon and a few others hopefully solve these issues. the gpu driven ones will hopefully be replaced by quantum computing or some other better method

i do like the gpu miners that are performing work though like golemn (cgi / rendering)

i guess amd not releasing anything new for their AIBs this year is pushing them to to do this kind of stuff to get some profit

Reactions: PeaKr
like this
16GB FRAMEBUFFERS

I do not think the word means what you think it means
That is 16GB of RAM, but not a framebuffer. Since it is you not not a buffer... for frames...

Sapphire has created a new 16GB variant of the AMD Radeon RX570 video card that is specifically designed for GPU Mining. Sapphire Technology Vice President of Global Marketing, Adrian Thompson has written a blog post that details how new cryptocurrency like GRIN will require GPUs with 16GB frame buffers for maximum efficiency. Since affordable 16GB GPUs are hard to find on the market, Sapphire designed one! Sapphire has taken the initiative to obtain a port of the CUDA miner that GRIN uses. Sapphire suggests that miners should move fast to jump into GRIN as the company predicts a return of profitability for miners. Hopefully miners will stick to this cheap Radeon RX570 variant and leave the upcoming 16GB Radeon VII alone. Pricing and availability has not been announced yet.

While most mid/high-end GPUs have at least 8GB of memory, very few have more than 12GB, and 16GB will be required to mine using the 2020 variant of Grin Mean AF Cuckatoo algorithm. A GPU with a 16GB frame buffer could conceivably mine both the GPU friendly and ASIC friendly algorithms for more than 2 years whereas others are limited to just the GPU friendly Cockaroo after the first year. The money printing machine.

Gee, didn't know anyone was still mining. OTOH, I assume this will be relatively cheap as it's a consumer segment card. With that kind of VRAM it might be useful in scientific community, might use it at work in fact. I wonder if it will also support virtualization like its VM oriented counterpart (RadeonPro V series) AMD released not too long ago which also has 16GB VRAM.

So buy crypto now? /s

Amd and Nvidia got greedy this time around, serves them right.

Meanwhile you can get GTX 1060's without video outputs for about $50 brand new with warranty.. and nobody is buying them even for $50. This is going to go well for AMD.

Why wouldn't people keep mining? Especially anyone that's already invested the hardware and have recouped the cost. Sure profitability is down but still there.

It's been 5 years it's not going anywhere, whether GPU based mining can retain profitability is another story, that's why ASIC's are made.

App development to leverage crypto coin will keep growing too

It's better for us if they make separate GPU's or just move to ASICs again

Why wouldn't people keep mining? Especially anyone that's already invested the hardware and have recouped the cost. Sure profitability is down but still there.

It's been 5 years it's not going anywhere, whether GPU based mining can retain profitability is another story, that's why ASIC's are made.

App development to leverage crypto coin will keep growing too

It's better for us if they make separate GPU's or just move to ASICs again
Power costs at this point at this point I would assume. Kwh ain't cheap.

Yes and that's all part of it being profitable... You calculate a return per watt which will always diminish over time

If you're mining as a "hobbyist" with a small number of GPU's you only have a limited timeframe of making a profit until the block difficulty becomes too high.That's why most will go for ASICs which are very power efficient and scalable

Whenever AMD is able to come out with a competitive high end card I've so far been able to make back the cost plus a new high end gaming rig so this version does look interesting

alot of the newer cryptos that are based on solving issues moved away from gpu mining ... and instead do proof of work or some other method. these ones will make it since they are cost effective and not just crappy "usd sucks, so lets make a coin and then swap it out with usd when we need it coin that is super inefficient".

xrp/ripple, singularity AI, zilliqa, icon and a few others hopefully solve these issues. the gpu driven ones will hopefully be replaced by quantum computing or some other better method

i do like the gpu miners that are performing work though like golemn (cgi / rendering)
Some sort of Proof of Work is used in most coins, regardless of what they boast. It's the most sensible consensus scheme. There has been talk about getting away from that scheme by some coins, but it's not really an option. Regardless, Proof of Work/Stake/Activity/Capacity/AUthority requires some computationally difficult algorithm no matter what. Any coin claiming that their alternative (esp. proof of stake) eliminates the need for "mining" are lying -- they still rely on some computationally expensive hashing algo to maintain consensus, identity, and synchronization. None of the currencies you have cited made any progress in this field, and are merely any of middleware platforms, Dapps, interchanges, or tokens. In my opinion, they are all rather "pump and dumpy", as the slang goes. Basically they don't bring anything useful to the table.

So back to throwing hashes for now and for some time. These hashing algos are "quantum resistant" due to the bandwidth required to obtain a result. We're talking tera to petabytes of address space per instruction even after relative proximal inferrence, and most quantum computing developers are dreading to _begin_ research in that field. It's certainly not the fun part. ;)

Basically, as awful as the cryptocurrency environment is right now, it's going to stay as-is for some time.

Meanwhile you can get GTX 1060's without video outputs for about $50 brand new with warranty.. and nobody is buying them even for $50. This is going to go well for AMD.
Is there a legit source for these? I saw something about them on youtube but it was all tabao listings. I wouldn't mind throwing a bunch of these into dual socket boards for vm pass through.

Back