Sapphire 7870 OC or vanilla

Darakian

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there any known difference between the boards? Better caps or vrm or something on the OC version? Lower binned chips on the vanilla?
If I plan to OC when I get one of these would it be worth while to pay the extra $10?

Its not that the vanila are binned lower, its that the OC is binned higher.

Chip binning and factory overclcock are the only real diffeences.

the extra $10 is worth it just for the overclock ceiling in CCC. Otherwise youd have to rely on a 3rd party program and lately AMD has been taking away the DLLs they rely on.

get a 7850 an oc it. 7870 is 2nd most overpriced card out there after gtx 580.

7850 has 50% clocking head room
7870 has 25%

Borh OCed you are throwing $100 away.

I'd wait till HD7870 is priced below $300.

Should be more like $210 to present a legit upgrade to 6870 users. Really 7850 is overpriced too but it;s stil $100 cheaper and will make similar performance.

In my mind the OC being binned higher than the vanilla is equivalent to the vanilla being binned lower. Either way if there is a difference in binning, I will be going for the OC version. Also I plan to go for the 7870 over the 7850 for the extra cores, this will be a compute card as much as it will be a gaming card.

Then buy 7950 which beats it stock and blow it away OCing for $20 more. Seriously 7870 is a waste.

In my mind the OC being binned higher than the vanilla is equivalent to the vanilla being binned lower. Either way if there is a difference in binning, I will be going for the OC version. Also I plan to go for the 7870 over the 7850 for the extra cores, this will be a compute card as much as it will be a gaming card.

I say that because you can potentially get a non-oc version that clocks higher than the oc version. They dont bin the non-oc, they just look for better chips for the oc version.

Back