Sapphire 5850 Toxic Coming Soon

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17655/1/

The new one features a custom blue PCB with duals slot Vapor Chamber cooler and is overclocked to 765MHz for the GPU and 4500MHz for the 1GB of GDDR5 memory. This is a quite an impressive overclock, considering that the reference card works at 725MHz for the GPU and 4000MHz for memory.

The card still features 1440 stream processors, a 256-bit memory interface, DirectX 11, CrossfireX and Eyefinity support. The Vapor Chamber cooler should be 10dBA quieter and up to 15 degrees cooler than the reference cooler, but that is something that we have to wait and see.

The card has showed up at Overclockers.co.uk site and ETA is 15th of February.

Now Available @ Newegg for $339
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...81&cm_re=5850_Sapphire-_-14-102-881-_-Product

Last edited:
gotta say the heatsink cover looks good compared to the stock one..

The Vapor Chamber cooler should be 10dBA quieter and up to 15 degrees cooler than the reference cooler, but that is something that we have to wait and see.

Interesting. i like the colors tho :)

With the 5850 already being dead silent and cool, who really cares?

the people that like doing insane overclocking and try to push their card to the absolute limit which in turn means they have to turn the fan up.. so 10dBa and 15C cooler does make a difference.. so those are the people that would care which is what this card is being catered for..

god so many typo's and mistakes in the graph.. makes me wonder if they even looked over it before they posted it.. in random graph's it would say 5770 vapor-x OC then the next graph it would say 5850 vapor-x OC then back to 5770..

but even so the overclock does show a nice gain in performance.. especially at 2560x1600 vs the stock clocks..

Last edited:
Why would someone buy that over this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443&cm_re=5870-_-14-150-443-_-Product

The price difference tiny really if you're looking at cards @ this price range.

I don't know. 50$ is a fairly big difference.
I really like the color scheme, the card would look amazing if someone were going to build a PC with a blue theme, like I am planning on doing. The red of the XFX cards would clash completely with my build plan. I think there are plenty of people that want their pcs to look amazing, and to build around a theme; they choose components that fit into that theme. I am planning on redoing all the heat shrink and mesh wire covering of my PS to fit in with the theme.

I wouldn't pay over £50 for the 'Toxic' version, just doesn't seem worth it. Especially since you could get a 5870 for £40 more..

I am interested in one of these to replace my 8800GTX SLI setup. I am using the 37" Westy for a monitor and it only does 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz. Would there be any reason for me to get a 5870 over this? I would think spending the extra money would probably be overkill for my monitor.

I am interested in one of these to replace my 8800GTX SLI setup. I am using the 37" Westy for a monitor and it only does 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz. Would there be any reason for me to get a 5870 over this? I would think spending the extra money would probably be overkill for my monitor.
If you're going to waste the money on a 5850 Toxic, you might as well spend another $25 and get the 5870. Otherwise get a normal 5850.

The card really isn't that desirable considering how great the reference models are (especially in reference to overclocking). You can also tell how clueless the author of the announcement is - 40MHz on the core isn't an impressive overclock for a 5850, come on now.

The card really isn't that desirable considering how great the reference models are (especially in reference to overclocking). You can also tell how clueless the author of the announcement is - 40MHz on the core isn't an impressive overclock for a 5850, come on now.

The card comes OC'd from Sapphire with a 40Mhz OC. With further OCing it finished off stable @ 881Mhz. So that'd be 156Mhz OC from the reference

edit: doh, you're talking about the fud article... my bad :p

Last edited:
Shouldn't the 5870 be $340 at this point?
:(

Anyhow I'm disappointed by the results, especially for Vapor-X.
Maybe I just expected too much from it though.

i was interested right up until i saw the 2 year warranty(and yes before you say anything id consider keeping it over 2 years, hence a lifetime warranty is better) so you have to do better sapphire to win me away from XFX in this respect.

Back