Sapphire 4870 -- type not as clear with Winows Aero

MikeSp

Weaksauce
While this videocard gives superb results in Windows programs, there is one exception -- when using Windows Aero, the type as it appears in Outlook Express and even in Catalyst is not very clear and precise as it is in other Windows programs.

Since I am building a second computer, I tried a second identical videocard with the same results. IF I utilize the other Windows color schemes, they are perfectly clear and precise.

The videocard feeds a calibrated SpectraView color monitor.

I have messed with clear type to no avail -- are there any other settings which I can use to improve the clarity of the fonts in Outlook Express and Catalyst?

MikeSp

Windows is the one rendering the fonts, not ATI or their drivers. It could just be that Aero just doesn't like the default fonts that Outlook Express and CCC use, in which case you are SOL unless you can change the fonts that those apps use. Other than triple checking that ClearType is enabled I really don't know of any other font rendering tweaks available in Vista.

You can try using registry tweaks to force Vista to ignore old, aliased fonts. See this: http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/26/fix-windows-vistas-fonts/

Back