Saphire Rx 580 Nitro + 8 GB - Black Screen

peste

n00b
I bought my RX 580 card 2 years ago. I saw it getting very hot while playing New World and I changed the thermal paste. I used it for a long time after that. I didn't do anything other than that.

My monitor was going black but pc wouldn't turn off. At first, I thought it was PSU-related or ram error. I used it this way for months. In recent days, the screen has been turned off frequently. Later, I tried it on another PC and realized that it was an error from the video card. I went and bought a GT 730 because I needed a computer. [ :) ] I have no idea what the problem is. My previous R7 265 card also died ridiculously. But that is a different topic.

What should I test? What kind of operation is required. What would you check if it were you? I don't know much about a diagnosis.
Sorry for my English.

GPU: RX 580 Nitro + 8 Gb
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (2x8)
PSU: Corsair VS 650w (I know it's a bad PSU)
MOBO: Gigabyte AB350m-D3V [Latest bios]

It could still very well be a power issue. If the power supply cannot provide power adequately, you can get a ton of random things happening.

I would start with the easy stuff and say to install an older driver. One from when you know it was good. Could be driver related, who knows.

Repaste, downgrade the driver and give it a whirl.

It could still very well be a power issue. If the power supply cannot provide power adequately, you can get a ton of random things happening.

I would start with the easy stuff and say to install an older driver. One from when you know it was good. Could be driver related, who knows.

Repaste, downgrade the driver and give it a whirl.
I tried the card on 2 different PC. The result is the same.
Installed different drivers, installed linux and macOs, still the same.

I tried the card on 2 different PC. The result is the same.
Installed different drivers, installed linux and macOs, still the same.
Sometimes electronics are funky. Sometimes they have issues. Who knows.

Does the screen not work at all now?

Likely the screen turning black initially was the card begging for help, now it may be too late if it stays black.

Usually card artifact so going straight to black could narrow it down to a failure on the display circuit or outputs. Did you try all of the video connections? Maybe just one port is failing.

You can do a simple test to see if the pc froze or if the pc is still working and just the gpu failed, hit caps lock or numlock and see if the lights turn on and off. A hard system freeze they won't budge.

Does the screen not work at all now?

Likely the screen turning black initially was the card begging for help, now it may be too late if it stays black.

Usually card artifact so going straight to black could narrow it down to a failure on the display circuit or outputs. Did you try all of the video connections? Maybe just one port is failing.

You can do a simple test to see if the pc froze or if the pc is still working and just the gpu failed, hit caps lock or numlock and see if the lights turn on and off. A hard system freeze they won't budge.
It works for a while and randomly turns black. The computer is working at this time and if there is a video or something, the sound continues. After restart, the video card is disabled with a yellow warning in the device section.

If I'm reading the initial post right, the card worked fine for years, and then one day, it crashed. Now, it will work sometimes, but crashes pretty frequently, with increasing frequency.

This sounds like the classic set of symptoms one sees with BGA failure. Basically, after years of heat cycles, the little solder connections between the GPU silicon, the substrate, and the board are starting to break, and when they do, the card abruptly quits working.

It's theoretically possible to repair this by replacing the GPU package with a known-good one, but you're unlikely to find a new one, and the cost of doing that would exceed the value of the card by a significant amount. My advice would be to sell the card on ebay for parts, and use the money to buy a working one.

If I'm reading the initial post right, the card worked fine for years, and then one day, it crashed. Now, it will work sometimes, but crashes pretty frequently, with increasing frequency.

This sounds like the classic set of symptoms one sees with BGA failure. Basically, after years of heat cycles, the little solder connections between the GPU silicon, the substrate, and the board are starting to break, and when they do, the card abruptly quits working.

It's theoretically possible to repair this by replacing the GPU package with a known-good one, but you're unlikely to find a new one, and the cost of doing that would exceed the value of the card by a significant amount. My advice would be to sell the card on ebay for parts, and use the money to buy a working one.

It's true, that's exactly how it happened.

Do you think it will change anything if I try the heating/cooking method? Before going to buy a new card, I'd like to try my last chance.

Last edited:
It's true, that's exactly how it happened.

Do you think it will change anything if I try the heating/cooking method? Before going to buy a new card, I'd like to try my last chance.
It might. I don't like to recommend the "oven trick" for several reasons, but there are folks who swear that they were able to permanently fix dead cards that way.

Among the reasons I don't like to recommend that is that most people don't have an oven they can dedicate to this purpose, and you stand to contaminate your oven with some pretty nasty stuff if you try that.

Reactions: peste
like this
It might. I don't like to recommend the "oven trick" for several reasons, but there are folks who swear that they were able to permanently fix dead cards that way.

Among the reasons I don't like to recommend that is that most people don't have an oven they can dedicate to this purpose, and you stand to contaminate your oven with some pretty nasty stuff if you try that.
Pretty much. I risked it on a PS3 and an 8800gtx years ago considering the card was a bazillion dollars and both work to this day.

This was years before I realised that it might contaminate my oven. I wouldn't do it anymore and not for a dime a dozen card.

Pretty much. I risked it on a PS3 and an 8800gtx years ago considering the card was a bazillion dollars and both work to this day.

This was years before I realised that it might contaminate my oven. I wouldn't do it anymore and not for a dime a dozen card.

When my lease is up... "Yeah, and about the oven...."

The 480+ nitro was already pushing the limit, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some 580+ nitros having bga failure, being just an iteration on the previous design with higher clocks.

Back