Saphire 4850x2 - 3 monitors w/ default driver, 2 monitors w/ ATI's latest driver.

disuse_nc

Limp Gawd
Ok, can someone help explain this?

I have an Saphire ATI 4850x2 and windows 7 32 bit (Experiencing the ethernet bug with x64 and am frustrated with it) which supports up to 4 monitors. With the default driver that ships with Windows 7, I can successfully connect my 3 monitors and have them all work and display.

If I update the graphics driver to whatever is on Windows Update or ATI's website, the software then only sees 2 monitors (whatever is on the primary slot). No configuration or documentation that I can find states why. If I roll the driver back, viola, 3 monitors.

What gives? Anyone know?

Crossfire ? Can you look if crossfire enabled or not with updated drivers.

Crossfire will only support a maximum of two monitors. You will need to disable crossfire if you want to use more than 2 monitors. My guess is that crossfire simply wasn't enabled with the first driver but was with the 2nd. You can confirm that using a tool such as GPU-Z.

Ok... Will check it tonight once I get back. If that's the case, I wonder if I can setup some sort of regkey to turn on and turn off crossfire that i can launch using launchy.

Finally got around to trying the latest drivers (9.12) along w/ turning on/off Crossfire. No go. Ugh. I miss my third monitor :\

Could it possibly have something to do with Eyefinity? its a large stretch but maybe the eyefinity drivers are messing with normal browsing? just a guess

Could it possibly have something to do with Eyefinity? its a large stretch but maybe the eyefinity drivers are messing with normal browsing? just a guess

I dont know about that (as in, I highly doubt its even remotely related, as said drivers don't apply to OP's hardware)

but I know that when I tried 9.11 and 9.12 with my 4870X2, it absolutely killed its stability and performance (we're talking I went from 120 FPS to 5 FPS in some games, and random crashes every so often)

went back to 9.10 and everything is stable and runs again

honestly, I'd just roll it back to what works (seriously, if the newest version doesn't work, why do you want it, you don't need it, most of the revision/fixes are to make the HD 5000 series actually work as advertised, get what works and go with it)

Hmm, will definitely try the 9.10. Didn't think about it.

I just recently brought home the third monitor from work due to getting new hardware at my desk (they FINALLY approved a second monitor for me).

Thanks for the idea. will try tonight and see what I get.

So... Finally got it figured out.

GotNoRice gets the brownie points. Disabling CrossFire allows all 4 display ports to work. What sucks is having to go in and turn it on/off when I want to play games.

Haven't found a batch file/reg key yet to make the switch quick though. Will keep looking and post it here if I find a solution.

Last edited:
Back