Sanyo Denki San Ace 120x38mm Fans

I know there have been several theads in the past on fans, but I haven't found tons of info on the 120x38mm Sanyo Denki San Ace fans (model #109R1212H1011). I've read that these things undervolt very well and don't produce much noise. In addition, they pull a lot of air and have a high static pressure. I'll be using them on a heatercore, so I need the static pressure.

I want to replace my current Panaflo U1A's. While they work fine, they emit a "ticking" noise when undervolted that is rather annoying. Does anyone know if the Sanyo Denkis produce such a noise? Do they whine when undervolted?

Also, how do they compare, in terms of noise, to Yate Loons (when the yates are at 12v, but the denkis undervolted to say...5 or 7V).

Thanks for any assistance.

Mine don't whine. I have 3 of the 38's. however, my lowest achievable rpm on my controller brings them only down to 1700rpm. At 1700 they are just, just a tad loud (noticable is a better word) for me, I imagine if you got them to 1400 or so they would be not noticable.

I have no idea. I've read somewhere that it's really not a reduction of voltage that fan controllers do but less freqeunt pulses of electrical current when the knobs are turned down at the same 12v.

That refers to PWM... or Pulse Width Modulation... most cheaper fan controllers just vary the amount of voltage passing through the fan.

Scwam, do you know if you are using a PWM fan controller? Which one are you using? I could always find out if you don't know.

If they are a "tad loud" when undervolted using a PWM fan controller, that may be due to the pulsing. Some fans tend to groan, growl, or at least emit more motor noise when on a PWM fan controller. I'm using a linear controller, so maybe they would be even quieter.

Sanyo @ 5V close to Yates @ 12V, no motor noise at all when undervolting. I got few boxes of these fans here, very useful during summer time

never was sucessful undervolting them but full power they're insane I couldn't take it....plus I mistakenly put 3 in my P-180.....papers started flying around my office area.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Scwam, do you know if you are using a PWM fan controller? Which one are you using? I could always find out if you don't know.

If they are a "tad loud" when undervolted using a PWM fan controller, that may be due to the pulsing. Some fans tend to groan, growl, or at least emit more motor noise when on a PWM fan controller. I'm using a linear controller, so maybe they would be even quieter.

I'm using a fan controller that has been bought out 3 times in this order: Superflower => Aspire => now Akasa

It's the SF-609 (akasa model is different though) model seen here
http://www.overcool.com/Exec/product.asp?item_id=41978&userid=99942570849860

2 of the transistors went bad I believe because the wire became loose and it states that if it's unplugged while fans are on then it could damage the controller. So now those 2 knobs don't work correctly. One undervolts real low and creates that unusual squeaking noise (really faint) and the other has only one speed now.

To answer your question the only noise I got when the controller worked proplerly was air from the fans, no motor noise, bearing noise, etc. But now that one of the transistors is really going bad I do get really faint squeaking/squelching sound on that channel because it's moving so slowly.

I just wish I could get the fans below 1600 or so rpm, not so bad with 2 running at 1600 but 3 it gets a little noticable. I'm getting a shroud to reduce the noise.

scwam said:
I'm using a fan controller that has been bought out 3 times in this order: Superflower => Aspire => now Akasa

It's the SF-609 (akasa model is different though) model seen here
http://www.overcool.com/Exec/product.asp?item_id=41978&userid=99942570849860

2 of the transistors went bad I believe because the wire became loose and it states that if it's unplugged while fans are on then it could damage the controller. So now those 2 knobs don't work correctly. One undervolts real low and creates that unusual squeaking noise (really faint) and the other has only one speed now.

To answer your question the only noise I got when the controller worked proplerly was air from the fans, no motor noise, bearing noise, etc. But now that one of the transistors is really going bad I do get really faint squeaking/squelching sound on that channel because it's moving so slowly.

I just wish I could get the fans below 1600 or so rpm, not so bad with 2 running at 1600 but 3 it gets a little noticable. I'm getting a shroud to reduce the noise.

The sanyo denki's draw quite a bit of power. The fan controller may not be able to handle them properly (heat dissipation, etc). This could be why the controller is dying, just a FYI.

The rating is 17w per channel. But who really know if the numbers are exagerated.

Back