Sanity check with plex media server and ubuntu linux

RogueTrip

2[H]4U
I retired my 4790k from main gaming rig. I would like to install ubuntu desktop linux 20.04 lts and run plex media server. Will the IGPU be ok for the job? Just streaming like 1~2 movies at a time.

Using a 14tb with media on it already with NTFS. Will I need to format it and use a linux partition and then copy movies to it?

Lastly If I would like a Remote deskop in if needed, what is recommended.

Thanks all!

It depends on what you're transcoding, quicksync in Haswell can only do H.264/MPEG-4 for the most part.

For the Igpu to work historically, you need a Plex license, intel quick sync is really well supported with Plex (if your library is in old enough codec for the time, like for video cards), a 8000 passmark cpu is quite good and could do the trick for 3-4 stream in 1080p from software too if you an issue with the iGPU or no license.

Direct play has much as possible is usually the goal too for thing to be simple server side, the minute the files are a bit fancy.

You can have your media on a remote disk or a local disk in NTFS:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288606-mounting-ntfs-drives-on-linux/

But if you can do the fresh format easily and plan to have the Linux machine not only read but over time write new media on it, transcode of the current one I would consider doing it.

Last edited:
Transcoding depends on your clients mostly. What are your clients?

I wouldn't keep an NTFS drive in an Linux machine.

Finally, use Ubuntu server

Got a Plex life pass.

Most media is 480~1080 res, no 4k+

Clients will be mostly be phone (in or out of home). Firestick 4k (2018 model iirc)

Finally, use Ubuntu server

I really want a desktop GUI. Not a CLI boi. Not trying to step on anyones feet here. :D

The iGPU will be more than enough to handle it for that small amount of streams.

Definitely use Ubuntu Server -> Install XFCE for a desktop environment.
Configure your SSH keys.
Install X2GO server
Connect via SSH using X2Go for XFCE gui.
Profit

This article isn't 100% accurate anymore but it'll get the job done. x2go client and server are part of Ubuntus repos so you don't need to add the PPA. so a simple sudo apt install x2goserver will suffice. x2go client does have a windows version.

https://fabianlee.org/2019/02/03/ubuntu-x2go-on-ubuntu-bionic-for-remote-desktop-access/

Good luck!

I am using a 4770 for my Plex server, works great for the task. I am using Apple TV's mainly for streaming.

I really want a desktop GUI. Not a CLI boi. Not trying to step on anyones feet here. :D
There might be some reasons to use the server install disk still. You can install the server with a GUI... Its the same software, just the server install scripts preload your machine with all the server things.... Do some research on the topic, I'm no expert. YMMV.

I use a 4790k in my Linux desktop running Plex server 24/7 to 4 Roku's. Barely used the CPU. You don't have to run a server version of Ubuntu, desktop is fine. I've run mine for years on different distros, currently Debien 11.

My media is on 4 drives in raid 10 using btrfs. Working like a champ for me.

Got a Plex life pass.

Most media is 480~1080 res, no 4k+

Clients will be mostly be phone (in or out of home). Firestick 4k (2018 model iirc)

Is the media h.264 or h.265 encoded though? That's what matters, if it's h.264 you'll be fine with Haswell, if it's h.265, the iGPU won't do anything for you.

Is the media h.264 or h.265 encoded though? That's what matters, if it's h.264 you'll be fine with Haswell, if it's h.265, the iGPU won't do anything for you.
Firestick 4k circa 2018 should be able to play h.265 so are recent phone from my experience (or I could be completely mistaken, really not an expert and not extensive testing), I would imagine almost all those 4K version of that type of device play h.265 well to be able to support Amazon and Netflix 4k stream which tend to be h.265

https://www.aftvnews.com/comparing-...layback-on-the-fire-tv-1-2-and-fire-tv-stick/
The 2nd-gen Fire TV, on the other hand, does have an h.265 capable hardware decoder. That’s because it’s a 4K device and h.265 is the prefered codec for 4K video streams from Netflix and Amazon Video.
The 2nd-gen Fire TV is handling this 100 Mbps h.265 video without a sweat, thanks to its h.265 capable hardware decoder.

Back